+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child question

claudenegm

Mar 15, 2018
Hey everyone!

My family applied as Skilled Workers (Quebec) in 2011, and received the CSQ a few weeks ago. We received CSQ for my mom, dad, brother and myself. I was 16 when the application was submitted, and am 23 now, graduated college and am working.

Based on this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/aod-tool.asp, by choosing that Quebec received our application 'On or before July 31, 2014', and choosing that I was below 21 years old at that time, the tool says:
Requirements for your dependant
For your situation, your child must meet the requirements that were in force on or before July 31, 2014.

To be eligible as a dependant, your child must not be married or in a common-law relationship.

Children 21 years old and under who are married or in a common-law relationship may qualify if they meet both of these requirements:

• have been a full-time student on an ongoing basis, and
  • have depended largely on a parent's financial support since they became a spouse or partner
This, however, does not add up with what's written in the Glossary: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#dependent_child_jul:

Exception: If your child’s age was locked in on or before July 31, 2014, your child must meet the requirements that were in force at that time, regardless of when you submitted your application for permanent residence.​

From my understanding, there is no "lock-in" date for applications submitted before July 31, 2014. Or, in other words, the lock-in date, is the date of submitting the application for permanent residence.

I am not sure if I understand this correctly. So, my question is: Do I qualify as a dependent?

If I do not qualify:
  1. Will my family have to apply without me?
  2. Can they sponsor me to come to Canada after they get their permanent residency?
  3. Can I apply with my CSQ on my own even if I wasn't the primary applicant of the CSQ? (my father was the main applicant).

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: