Dependent Child, join here!!!

mmacedo

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey,

I just submitted a process to sponsor my 2-year old child who is living abroad. How long should the 1st phase in Mississauga take?

Thanks,

Marcos

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012

mmacedo

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Outland Dependent Child - Timeline

I read somewhere there's a priority for Dependent Child over Spouses applications. Is that true?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012

When the file gets to the visa office, yes, not at CPC-M. At CPC-M, you just have to wait your turn to be approved as a sponsor, you won't be passed ahead of others. Spouses and dependent children are the same stream in Family Class, in any case.

Children are prioritised by visa offices because they are minors (usually) and obviously need to be reunited with their parents to have proper care and guidance, so their best interests are served by their cases being processed quickly (attention to the best interests of the child is codified in Immigration and other Canadian legislation). Secondly, children under 18 will have almost no background or criminality to be investigated (usually) so their cases may be cleared much faster than a spouse's, so it makes sense to deal with them first.

badicioiu

Jun 3, 2012

CharlieD10 said:
When the file gets to the visa office, yes, not at CPC-M. At CPC-M, you just have to wait your turn to be approved as a sponsor, you won't be passed ahead of others. Spouses and dependent children are the same stream in Family Class, in any case.

Children are prioritised by visa offices because they are minors (usually) and obviously need to be reunited with their parents to have proper care and guidance, so their best interests are served by their cases being processed quickly (attention to the best interests of the child is codified in Immigration and other Canadian legislation). Secondly, children under 18 will have almost no background or criminality to be investigated (usually) so their cases may be cleared much faster than a spouse's, so it makes sense to deal with them first.
CIC-M requires the type of the sponsorship to be written on the envelope (spousal/common-law/conjugal partner or dependent child) so chances are for the file to go to a different processing category.
And if the visa office pays attention to the best interests of the child as codified in the law, why CPC-M should exempt from this? I think there might be chances for children cases to be processed with priority also by CPC-M.

mmacedo

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Well, I did that. I wrote on the envelope:

SPONSORSHIP: DEPENDENT CHILD

So, I hope there's a chance it's processed faster. It would be great if we hear from someone who has applied in the last months.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012

CPC-M is looking at applications received up to Apr 2, as at the last update. You have a while to go before they look at your application.

badicioiu

Jun 3, 2012

I noticed that. Some time ago it used to be 30 days, I'm wondering why ...I don't think there was a volume of files three times bigger in the last months.
Until we hear from them we only have hope.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012

They have begun trying to clear the backlog of parent/grandparent (PGP) files. Up until late last year, they had only gotten as far as processing applications received in 2007. In November, once they paused PGP sponsorship for 24 months, CPC-M had to start dedicating more resources to clearing the backlog of files in that stream of Family Class. That left fewer resources for Spouses/Dependent Children, so even though these are normally prioritized, the timeline has begun extending for the processing of these applications.

With the upcoming changes to the PGP stream, they have to clear the backlog to make way for applications under the revamped scheme. It could be worse: for Skilled Workers, thousands of applications were legislated out of existence, and people waiting for up to 4 years have been told "Sorry, here's your money back, try again (maybe)."

mmacedo

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

badicioiu said:
I noticed that. Some time ago it used to be 30 days, I'm wondering why ...I don't think there was a volume of files three times bigger in the last months.
Until we hear from them we only have hope.
Badicioiu, are you sponsoring your child as well?

mmacedo

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sponsoring my 2 year old child who is abroad. Is there any temporary visa that I could apply for, so she could come to Canada while we wait for the sponsorship process?

Thank you!

sumaira19

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i have also applied for my daughter..no approval till yet.
lets hope for the best!

Amy612

Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
N/A
mmacedo said:
I'm sponsoring my 2 year old child who is abroad. Is there any temporary visa that I could apply for, so she could come to Canada while we wait for the sponsorship process?

Thank you!
Hi,
I am sponsoring my husband and dependent child (2yrs). I can understand your condition as I am going through the same for the last 9 months. I did not apply for TRV for my son alone because I have another child staying with me in Canada , she is 3.5yrs. It will be very hard for me to take care of two kids alone.You can always try for TRV for your child. I don't know your visa office. My visa office time line is 21 months for 80% cases.
If your processing time is long, you can try for TRV. It is not guaranteed. It will be better if you apply after sponsorship approval. If they refused to give TRV, you can still apply for TRP (Temporary resident permit) for your child. All the best.