+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent applicant work status

Vijayasenthil

Sep 22, 2020
Hi Friends,

I have questions in below scenario . Any guidance /advice would be of great help

Scenario :
My spouse is a main applicant for Canada PR and she got nominated for PNP program for New Brunswick ( for example) .Since she received PR , all her dependents are eligible to accompany her (Husband + 2 Kids)

After reaching Canada she is not willing to work , rather her husband (dependent applicant ) wants to work . I heard dependent can work but seems we need open work permit .

Questions :

1) if her dependent husband works in Ontario under Open work permit whether we will be eligible for applying passport in future ? are there any chances of refusal since Main Applicant didn't worked.
2) Since Open work permit for dependent allows him to work anywhere in Canada without restrictions , still Main applicant liable to stay in New Brunswick , will it create problem for applying passport or she can accompany her husband , if her husband received some job offer in Ontario.
3) Main Applicant is not working so ultimately not serving the Province , will there be any problem while applying passport
3) Any other potential issues in future if the main application who got PR not working and dependent applicant working ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Friends,

I have questions in below scenario . Any guidance /advice would be of great help

Scenario :
My spouse is a main applicant for Canada PR and she got nominated for PNP program for New Brunswick ( for example) .Since she received PR , all her dependents are eligible to accompany her (Husband + 2 Kids)

After reaching Canada she is not willing to work , rather her husband (dependent applicant ) wants to work . I heard dependent can work but seems we need open work permit .

Questions :

1) if her dependent husband works in Ontario under Open work permit whether we will be eligible for applying passport in future ? are there any chances of refusal since Main Applicant didn't worked.
2) Since Open work permit for dependent allows him to work anywhere in Canada without restrictions , still Main applicant liable to stay in New Brunswick , will it create problem for applying passport or she can accompany her husband , if her husband received some job offer in Ontario.
3) Main Applicant is not working so ultimately not serving the Province , will there be any problem while applying passport
3) Any other potential issues in future if the main application who got PR not working and dependent applicant working ?
To clarify, are you (the spouse/husband referred to above) already a PR? you have landed?

If so, you're eligible to work - period. Anywhere in Canada.

I do not know about the obligations she undertook with respect to New Brunswick.

Vijayasenthil

Sep 22, 2020
Hi bro,
in simple , if main applicant(wife) not working via whom we got PR status and the dependent applicant (husband) can work and can apply for canada passport . will there be any potential issue ?

If any province invites you to work , then you should work for the respective province at-least for 2 years before moving to anywhere in Canada ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi bro,
in simple , if main applicant(wife) not working via whom we got PR status and the dependent applicant (husband) can work and can apply for canada passport . will there be any potential issue ?

If any province invites you to work , then you should work for the respective province at-least for 2 years before moving to anywhere in Canada ?
Again, you need to check the terms of the specific program under which you and your spouse immigrated. The PNP forum here may have more information on this, and posters who know about the requirements.

That said: I think that there can be no such restriction on the spouse, if the spouse is indeed a PR. In other words, I do not think that the spouse (dependent) of the principal applicant should have any problem in future eg applying for passport.

Repeat though: I'm not terribly familiar with the PNP programs and restrictions involved, and certainly not an expert.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
The key here is whether or not you misrepresented the facts, in this case there are two areas of risk:
The intent to work and the intent to settle in New Brunswick.

The bar to prove that you didn't misrepresent the facts is pretty low as it is only the intent and once PR you do get the right of mobility, however you need to have some proof that your intent is genuine. You don't give much details, but for example NB requires that you register in person in the province within 30 days, if you have not even done that, NB pretty much automatically tries to revoke the PR status. Showing some proof that you settled in the province should be enough, but if you have absolutely nothing in NB it may be enough to determine misrepresentation. (never rented a place, no lease, no electric, internet, phone bill, proof of request of medicare, or driver license).

The second one would be the intent to work, for those showing 3-6 months of looking for jobs (with proof of job applications and proof of rejections) is ideal.

Ideally you also want to let them know of your intent to move, and the reasons for that can be either the above (i.e. can't find job) or proof that you found a better job somewhere else. But provinces do track their PNP therefore if you made absolutely no effort, yes it will likely show up sooner or later (either citizenship application or PR renewal) that you committed misrepresentation as to your original intent.

Where are you at in the process exactly, you already have PR and worry about this after already moving or trying to plan how to settle once you have PR?

Reactions: armoured

maba

Star Member
May 21, 2014
Hi Friends,

Scenario :

Questions :

Once you are Permanent Resident of Canada, you can live and work anywhere in Canada ( I was told this at the port of entry by a CBSA officer) when I arrived on a SINP worker stream. When you apply for Citizenship there would be no issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Once you are Permanent Resident of Canada, you can live and work anywhere in Canada ( I was told this at the port of entry by a CBSA officer) when I arrived on a SINP worker stream. When you apply for Citizenship there would be no issue.
If you were not heading to Saskatchewan your COPR could have been cancelled so it isn't quite as simple as landing as an FSW.