+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependant child sponsorship

MOMoftwo25

Feb 5, 2018
Hello everyone. I' new to the community. I am a permanent resident of Canada for almost 7years now leaving with my youngest daughter and my husband. My oldest daughter was left behind in the Philippines. She was born before I met my husband. Her dad and I was high school lovers and separated. When my husband sponsored me and our child, my oldest daughter was not included in the application. My oldest daughters last name was my ex boyfriends. I left my daughter with my parents when we left for Canada. I was the only one who supported her ever since her dad left us. Her dad was never there since we separated when my oldest daughter was only 6months old. So i have her costudy ever since.
We planned to sponsor her after.
Now that I have saved money to sponsor Her, I tried going to a consultation through an immigration assistance. When she tried to look at my case, she asked me, during the time when we did our application, She asked me if I declared my daughter as a non accompanying dependant child. I remember writing her name. But then when she asked me if my oldest daughter did a medical exam with me even though she's not coming with me, I said I don' remember the immigration asking one for her. Only me. So i don' know if I'm gonna have a problem if we try to do her application to sponsor her

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If she wasn’t included as non accompanying and didn’t do the medical, there is a good chance you won’t be able to sponsor her. You really need to determine if you included her as non accompanying and completed the medical. Without these, IRCC won’t consider her a member of the family class and sponsorship would be very unlikely.

MOMoftwo25

Feb 5, 2018
If she wasn’t included as non accompanying and didn’t do the medical, there is a good chance you won’t be able to sponsor her. You really need to determine if you included her as non accompanying and completed the medical. Without these, IRCC won’t consider her a member of the family class and sponsorship would be very unlikely.
I remember writing her name in the application. I even tried looking at all the scratch application form that I filled in before really finalizing it. What I don' remember if she did the medical with me. Coz I remember my youngest didn' have to do the medical since she is automatic Canadian citizen because of my husband being born and raised in Canada. What I am curious about is why they did t ask for her medical? Would it be possible to sponsor her and the the medical if they ask her to do so. She lives with my parents. And I just recently found her biological father and is willing to cooperate once I start the process. If I really did write her name but she didn' do the medical before when we left which is almost 7years ago would that still be ok. I didn' intended to not get her medical done, if I was aware that she would be needing the medical i would definitely do so.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I remember writing her name in the application. I even tried looking at all the scratch application form that I filled in before really finalizing it. What I don' remember if she did the medical with me. Coz I remember my youngest didn' have to do the medical since she is automatic Canadian citizen because of my husband being born and raised in Canada. What I am curious about is why they did t ask for her medical? Would it be possible to sponsor her and the the medical if they ask her to do so. She lives with my parents. And I just recently found her biological father and is willing to cooperate once I start the process. If I really did write her name but she didn' do the medical before when we left which is almost 7years ago would that still be ok. I didn' intended to not get her medical done, if I was aware that she would be needing the medical i would definitely do so.
You need to figure out exactly what you mean by "writing her name in the application". She would have needed to be listed specifically as a non-accompanying dependent. There is a lot of info you would have needed to fill out for her, NOT just writing her name somewhere. You would have filled in her full name, birthday, place of birth, residence info, identity document, if accompanying or non-accompanying and reason why, etc etc.

Basically if she didn't do the medical, that means she was not recognized in the app as a dependent, so as a result you can never sponsor her to Canada.

I think you can check your COPR document to see the list of your designated dependents, accompanying or not.

Last edited:

MOMoftwo25

Feb 5, 2018
I wrote it down where you list all of the family name and dependant children accompanying and non accompanying when we did our application. I am just curious why they didn' ask me to do a medical for her. They only asked me. Where can I actually check this COPR document that you mentioned? By the way thanks everyone for the time and responding to my
Problem

MOMoftwo25

Feb 5, 2018
You need to figure out exactly what you mean by "writing her name in the application". She would have needed to be listed specifically as a non-accompanying dependent. There is a lot of info you would have needed to fill out for her, NOT just writing her name somewhere. You would have filled in her full name, birthday, place of birth, residence info, identity document, if accompanying or non-accompanying and reason why, etc etc.

Basically if she didn't do the medical, that means she was not recognized in the app as a dependent, so as a result you can never sponsor her to Canada.

I think you can check your COPR document to see the list of your designated dependents, accompanying or not.

She was almost 3years old that time

I wrote it down where you list all of the family name and dependant children accompanying and non accompanying when we did our application. I am just curious why they didn' ask me to do a medical for her. They only asked me. Where can I actually check this COPR document that you mentioned? By the way thanks everyone for the time and responding to my
Problem

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Problem
Do you mean the "Addiitonal Family information" form? That is just 1 form, and not the important one.

You would also have needed to fill out all her info on your own own Generic Application form. This is the important one:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm0008enu_2d.pdf

It asks a LOT of questions on the non-accompanying dependent. Did you fill out her info here??

The COPR is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence paper you got when you were approved, and did your own PR landing.

MOMoftwo25

Feb 5, 2018
Do you mean the "Addiitonal Family information" form? That is just 1 form, and not the important one.

You would also have needed to fill out all her info on your own own Generic Application form. This is the important one:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm0008enu_2d.pdf

It asks a LOT of questions on the non-accompanying dependent. Did you fill out her info here??

The COPR is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence paper you got when you were approved, and did your own PR landing.
If lets say i did declare her on to the application when I did my application for my PR status which was approved when I was still in the Philippines. And then on the COPR that I received on the day when I landed says no. I might misunderstood the paper that time and just confirmed. Would there be a chance that I can use that application form as a proof that I did intend to declare her. Even though on the COPR it says no. And show that it was a confusion.

What else can I do if I can' sponsor her through family class? How can we be united? I am her family and her dad has her own family now too. My parents are not getting any younger.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If lets say i did declare her on to the application when I did my application for my PR status which was approved when I was still in the Philippines. And then on the COPR that I received on the day when I landed says no. I might misunderstood the paper that time and just confirmed. Would there be a chance that I can use that application form as a proof that I did intend to declare her. Even though on the COPR it says no. And show that it was a confusion.

What else can I do if I can' sponsor her through family class? How can we be united? I am her family and her dad has her own family now too. My parents are not getting any younger.
If you declared her on the app she would have also been ordered to do a medical exam. Since this didn't happen, I assume she wasn't actually declared as a dependent.

As such, any application you submit to sponsor her will most likely be rejected. You can then choose to appeal this decision using the reasons you mentioned and H&C reason of best interest of child, although even that has no guarantee of success. Hiring an immigration lawyer would be needed, and entire process can take several years.

Read here: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
5.12. Exclusion from membership in the family class – R117(9)(d), R117(10) and R117(11) (former OM OP 03-19)

MOMoftwo25

Feb 5, 2018
If you declared her on the app she would have also been ordered to do a medical exam. Since this didn't happen, I assume she wasn't actually declared as a dependent.

As such, any application you submit to sponsor her will most likely be rejected. You can then choose to appeal this decision using the reasons you mentioned and H&C reason of best interest of child, although even that has no guarantee of success. Hiring an immigration lawyer would be needed, and entire process can take several years.

Read here: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
5.12. Exclusion from membership in the family class – R117(9)(d), R117(10) and R117(11) (former OM OP 03-19)

I know I wrote her down on the application form. I just don' remember if she did the medical with me. Would I be able find out if I search for medical history or maybe go back to the same hospital I performed my medical before in the Philippines if there's any record for my daughter getting her medical done

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I know I wrote her down on the application form. I just don' remember if she did the medical with me. Would I be able find out if I search for medical history or maybe go back to the same hospital I performed my medical before in the Philippines if there's any record for my daughter getting her medical done
Again, "writing her name down" means NOTHING. You need to make sure her name and ALL her relevant information was put under the Dependent section of the Generic Application (IMM0008) form I linked to above, NOT just in the Additional Family Info form.

I don't understand how you can't know if she did a medical exam or not, it's something you would have needed to provide info to the doctor on, paid a fee for, and gotten a receipt for. You would have been in the same room with her getting the exam.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

MOMoftwo25

Feb 5, 2018

As such, any application you submit to sponsor her will most likely be rejected. You can then choose to appeal this decision using the reasons you mentioned and H&C reason of best interest of child, although even that has no guarantee of success. Hiring an

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How much is it to pay a immigration lawyer for my case? I'm too nervous.
If you failed to declare your child and have her medically examined, it doesn't matter if you hire a lawyer or not. Your app will still be refused.

MOMoftwo25

Feb 5, 2018
If you failed to declare your child and have her medically examined, it doesn't matter if you hire a lawyer or not. Your app will still be refused.
I found 2 print out of my Generic application and found the generic IMM 0008 part. I listed her as my non accompanying dependant and my youngest at accompanying dependant child. And I saw the part you told me when the additional family part. I did include her there too.