Aug 8, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
not yet
Hi all,
I am a dentist, schooled and qualified in Nigeria with over 5 years clinical experience. I am planning to apply for the Skilled worker visa.
Since dentistry is a closed occupation in canada, do i still go ahead to apply, after which I'll write exams for accreditation when I get to canada, or would I have to do other jobs(not as a dentist) in canada until I am accredited to practice in canada.
Also, might I be given the visa based on the NOC I entered(dentist) even though I havnt started the accreditation process??

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
As far as the guide is concerned, you need to have at least one year full time experience in your chosen field, within the past 10 yrs. The duties should reflect those mentioned under the ministerial instructions here:
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=3&val1=3113&val65=*

Main duties
Dentists perform some or all of the following duties:•Examine patients' teeth, gums and surrounding tissue to diagnose disease, injury and decay and plan appropriate treatment
•Restore, extract and replace diseased and decayed teeth
•Perform oral surgery, periodontal surgery and other treatments
•Clean teeth and instruct patients on oral hygiene
•Design bridgework, fit dentures and provide appliances to correct abnormal positioning of the teeth and jaws, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for use by denturists and dental technicians
•Supervise dental hygienists, dental assistants and other staff.
•Dentists may specialize in such areas as oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, oral pathology, oral radiology or public health dentistry.

It is not mandatory to have accreditation before applying for FSW, but it is advised. You could explore that once you have put in your application. The impoertant thing is being able to meet the min 67 points required.

Once in Canada, the rest is entirely up to you; you can do the 'survival jobs' (as Qorax and the rest put it, lol) from the begining and then work on getting accreditation in your field... Hope this helps!
Mandie

Reactions: brainysaki

funty

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
not yet
mandiebraxton said:
As far as the guide is concerned, you need to have at least one year full time experience in your chosen field, within the past 10 yrs. The duties should reflect those mentioned under the ministerial instructions here:

Main duties
Dentists perform some or all of the following duties:•Examine patients' teeth, gums and surrounding tissue to diagnose disease, injury and decay and plan appropriate treatment
•Restore, extract and replace diseased and decayed teeth
•Perform oral surgery, periodontal surgery and other treatments
•Clean teeth and instruct patients on oral hygiene
•Design bridgework, fit dentures and provide appliances to correct abnormal positioning of the teeth and jaws, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for use by denturists and dental technicians
•Supervise dental hygienists, dental assistants and other staff.
•Dentists may specialize in such areas as oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, oral pathology, oral radiology or public health dentistry.

It is not mandatory to have accreditation before applying for FSW, but it is advised. You could explore that once you have put in your application. The impoertant thing is being able to meet the min 67 points required.

Once in Canada, the rest is entirely up to you; you can do the 'survival jobs' (as Qorax and the rest put it, lol) from the begining and then work on getting accreditation in your field... Hope this helps!
Mandie

Thank you mandie................very helpful indeed. I will go ahead and apply then, and probably start preparing for IELTS. Any website suggestions to get IELTS practice materials??

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
funty said:
Thank you mandie................very helpful indeed. I will go ahead and apply then, and probably start preparing for IELTS. Any website suggestions to get IELTS practice materials??
You need to submit your application together with IELTS, otherwise your application will be returned as incomplete. There is a furm for IELTS too:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ielts-international-english-language-testing-system-b53.0/
Good luck! M

dr ila

Aug 7, 2011
hi mandie
i am a dentist passed out in 2000 and have 9 years of experience in private clinics and hospitals...i have done 1 year specialsation in dental impalnts too...i am interested to apply for PR ifor canada..how should i begin?..what all should i have...i am a beginner...please help..

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
dr ila said:
hi mandie
i am a dentist passed out in 2000 and have 9 years of experience in private clinics and hospitals...i have done 1 year specialsation in dental impalnts too...i am interested to apply for PR ifor canada..how should i begin?..what all should i have...i am a beginner...please help..
Same advice goes for you. You need to frequent the CIC website for additional info. To begin, check the link below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Application form and guide:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp
In sum,
- IELTS is mandatory,
-you need to score min 67 points to qualify
-Original transcripts in university sealed envelop
-origial work experience letter etc
All these and more are in the guide. Good luck! Mandie

funty

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
not yet
mandiebraxton said:
Same advice goes for you. You need to frequent the CIC website for additional info. To begin, check the link below:

Application form and guide
In sum,
- IELTS is mandatory,
-you need to score min 67 points to qualify
-Original transcripts in university sealed envelop
-origial work experience letter etc
All these and more are in the guide. Good luck! Mandie

could you tell me to what address the university transcript be addressed??
would it be the CIO, sydney, canada or the visa office serving my country
thank you for your help so far....

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
funty said:
could you tell me to what address the university transcript be addressed??
would it be the CIO, sydney, canada or the visa office serving my country
thank you for your help so far....
The transcript will be sent together with your application, at one go. Applications are sent to Sydney, Nova Scotia. Please read the guide for detailed information:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf
Mandie