+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dentist

Nio1

Dec 20, 2019
Hello there i am Geri 29 from Albania. I am a dentist and i do practice my profession in my country also i am looking for abroad opportunities. Do i really have a chance to make it in Canada and if yes which are the steps or any additional information on how would my dentistry diploma gets recognized if so am i eligible to work and live there?

thank you in advance

ingoingoingo

Star Member
Jan 25, 2020
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
3111 (CRS 1058)
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
31-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-02-2020
IELTS Request
30-11-2019
Med's Done....
07-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2020
LANDED..........
29-09-2020
Hello there i am Geri 29 from Albania. I am a dentist and i do practice my profession in my country also i am looking for abroad opportunities. Do i really have a chance to make it in Canada and if yes which are the steps or any additional information on how would my dentistry diploma gets recognized if so am i eligible to work and live there?

thank you in advance
Dentist NOC is currently a high demand NOC in Alberta. Can’t speak for other PNPs. You don’t strictly speaking need a job offer in Alberta to apply, but I’m not aware of anyone who received nomination in recent months who wasn’t an inland applicant with job offer (though there has been before).

It is also an extremely onerous process as a foreign graduate to get recognised in Canada. One route for physicians is to take a fellowship post under a temporary working permit.

Most likely, your training won’t be considered accredited. Certainly for independent practice. You might need to compete to get in a residency or speciality training program at a Canadian university, and repeat some training. Some resources are https://www.cda-adc.ca/cdacweb/en/international_professionals/ and https://ndeb-bned.ca/en/requirements. And the experiences of others in these forums (I’m a physician not a dentist, so cannot directly comment).

But expect lots of exams, fees and waiting. It will then be hard to set up an independent practice. Be sure your life will be better in Canada for you and your family. The grass is not necessarily greener. You might do better to wait until Albania joins the EU.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you show me where it shows that Dentists are in demand in Alberta? I was literally talking to a Canadian dental student last week about how bleak the job market is currently for new dental grads because the market is so saturated. Would add that it is a similar issue for pharmacists Whose salaries have decreased even more.

ingoingoingo

Star Member
Jan 25, 2020
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
3111 (CRS 1058)
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
31-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-02-2020
IELTS Request
30-11-2019
Med's Done....
07-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2020
LANDED..........
29-09-2020
Can you show me where it shows that Dentists are in demand in Alberta? I was literally talking to a Canadian dental student last week about how bleak the job market is currently for new dental grads because the market is so saturated. Would add that it is a similar issue for pharmacists Whose salaries have decreased even more.
Have to scroll down a few times but at https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupations-in-demand/

Though I do wonder about the reality of these. It’s our best guess in AINP land for how they make their decisions on who to send NOI (with NOC and connections key). Alis site seems to be kept more up-to-date than other resources in my post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/january-2020-ainp-noi.673329/post-8525719.

If check out the actual dentist page though it forecasts 38 positions to be created a year in the province (https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupation-profiles/dentist/). Struggled to work out exactly how many graduates via UofA but it’s probably more than that. And p12 of https://www.dentalhealthalberta.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Annual-report-2018.pdf might be relevant ... though unclear if the new foreign registrations were for dentists who trained in US or other recognised jurisdictions.

But getting PR and getting a job as a dentist are likely to be very different beasts. The other important thing for AINP, at least lately, seems to be that Alberta connections include a job offer. This would only be considered valid for regulated profession if can show would be licensed. So it’s probably circular ... unless find another way to come to Canada, like a fellowship.

I don’t doubt that getting a job post-graduation is hard for lots of healthcare students, dentists included. And agree that rationing rather than demand (and overheads etc) are big contributors. Plus Alberta is austerity focussed at the moment.

Bottom line is that OP will to do the research. I doubt it’s impossible but it’ll certainly be hard, costly and slow going. And if he’s got a good job and prospects in Albania/Europe then Canada might not be able to offer better.

Nio1

Dec 20, 2019
thank you guys for the reply. Actually i have been interested in an emigration law office here in albania and they told me that there re two categories that can make it happen. i can take one of those cause i'm older than 29 . that's the provincial program and it means that they sent you wherever they want and that was ok for me, secondly i need a high score on english language after that university program would get recognized by a canadian university by their rules. All that costs 3000$ and it isn't sure that i'm gonna make it cause i conquer in a global range i do need to have some points

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have to scroll down a few times but at https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupations-in-demand/

Though I do wonder about the reality of these. It’s our best guess in AINP land for how they make their decisions on who to send NOI (with NOC and connections key). Alis site seems to be kept more up-to-date than other resources in my post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/january-2020-ainp-noi.673329/post-8525719.

If check out the actual dentist page though it forecasts 38 positions to be created a year in the province (https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occupations-in-alberta/occupation-profiles/dentist/). Struggled to work out exactly how many graduates via UofA but it’s probably more than that. And p12 of https://www.dentalhealthalberta.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Annual-report-2018.pdf might be relevant ... though unclear if the new foreign registrations were for dentists who trained in US or other recognised jurisdictions.

But getting PR and getting a job as a dentist are likely to be very different beasts. The other important thing for AINP, at least lately, seems to be that Alberta connections include a job offer. This would only be considered valid for regulated profession if can show would be licensed. So it’s probably circular ... unless find another way to come to Canada, like a fellowship.

I don’t doubt that getting a job post-graduation is hard for lots of healthcare students, dentists included. And agree that rationing rather than demand (and overheads etc) are big contributors. Plus Alberta is austerity focussed at the moment.

Bottom line is that OP will to do the research. I doubt it’s impossible but it’ll certainly be hard, costly and slow going. And if he’s got a good job and prospects in Albania/Europe then Canada might not be able to offer better.
OK I thought you were saying that AINP had highlighted they need more dentists. I tend not to believe most of these job forecasting studies. They tend to be 10 years behind or students would get trained to fit the labour needs better. Honestly after years of huge volumes of both dentists and pharmacists immigrating to Canada because the points system favours professional degrees the last thing Canada actually needs are dentists and pharmacists. In terms of pharmacists most new graduates are making significantly less than graduates 15 years ago with no wage growth expected. If anything older pharmacists hope they won’t asked to take a pay cut or be replaced by a cheaper new grad. Boggles my mind why the professional associating haven’t been fighting for less immigration in those professions. Actually Manitoba limits licensensing to foreign trained pharmacists I believe. This article is from 2013 and the situation has gotten worse from then.

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com//opinion/correspondence/pharmacists-are-a-dime-a-dozen-in-canada/11132027.fullarticle?firstPass=false

Reactions: ingoingoingo

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you guys for the reply. Actually i have been interested in an emigration law office here in albania and they told me that there re two categories that can make it happen. i can take one of those cause i'm older than 29 . that's the provincial program and it means that they sent you wherever they want and that was ok for me, secondly i need a high score on english language after that university program would get recognized by a canadian university by their rules. All that costs 3000$ and it isn't sure that i'm gonna make it cause i conquer in a global range i do need to have some points
To immigrate to Canada there are a few programs but that has nothing to do with your ability to get licensed or practice dentistry. FSW would require a score above 470 these days so you would have to do really well in English to qualify. The other program would be PNPs. You can apply to immigrate to each province. The province selects applicants that are in in demand fields in their province and you are supposed to relocate to that province. There is no guarantee you will get selected but the CRS scores tend to be lower. The issue is that most provinces have a surplus of dentists so dentists don’t usually get selected for PNP.

Nio1

Dec 20, 2019
those demand fields do require specific skills? what i mean is that can a doctor like me work as a simple worker in any kind of fields that do not require speciality, maybe i would consider it .. of course that would be destruction of my profession that's about unlikely to
happen although i shall know my possibilities

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
those demand fields do require specific skills? what i mean is that can a doctor like me work as a simple worker in any kind of fields that do not require speciality, maybe i would consider it .. of course that would be destruction of my profession that's about unlikely to
happen although i shall know my possibilities
Are you a doctor or a dentist?

If you don’t have work history or training/education you can’t apply as a cook because that is a field I’m demand.

Nio1

Dec 20, 2019
actually a dentist is considered a doctor that's why i use this term anyway that doesn't matter, so cooking chef is on demand

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
actually a dentist is considered a doctor that's why i use this term anyway that doesn't matter, so cooking chef is on demand
Dentists are rarely referred to as doctors unless they are referring to their name as Dr. X Y. If you tell someone you are a doctor in North America people will expect you to be a physician. You have to look if chefs are in demand in each province unless you have experience and training as a chef you will not get approved.