+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dental Treatment in Canada - Fixing of Braces - Please Answer

Can10

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
We are PRC holder, currently living in UAE and are planning to move to Canada in 10 months time from now.

We recently saw an orthodontist here in UAE to discuss a plan for my daughter's braces. We were told that the total package would cost CAD 3,500. We would be paying 25% (CAD 875) initially and then CAD 130 every month during follow-up visit for braces adjustment. In any case, the total cost would not exceed CAD 3,500. It may take 12 to 18 months to complete the process.

I would request the seniors living in Canada to advise me:

1. What is the cost in Canada for the whole package? The above cost is for Ceramic braces which is little costlier than the traditional metallic one.
2. If we get braces fixed from UAE and after 10 months move to Canada, would orthodontist in Canada agree to take care of follow-up procedure?
3. If yes, then what would be the cost per visit?

I shall be obliged having your opinions on this.

Thanks and kind regards,
Can10

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can10 said:
We are PRC holder, currently living in UAE and are planning to move to Canada in 10 months time from now.

We recently saw an orthodontist here in UAE to discuss a plan for my daughter's braces. We were told that the total package would cost CAD 3,500. We would be paying 25% (CAD 875) initially and then CAD 130 every month during follow-up visit for braces adjustment. In any case, the total cost would not exceed CAD 3,500. It may take 12 to 18 months to complete the process.

I would request the seniors living in Canada to advise me:

1. What is the cost in Canada for the whole package? The above cost is for Ceramic braces which is little costlier than the traditional metallic one. Cdn$7500 - $10,000
2. If we get braces fixed from UAE and after 10 months move to Canada, would orthodontist in Canada agree to take care of follow-up procedure? Yes, money talks.
3. If yes, then what would be the cost per visit? Depend on situation. Nobody would be able to give you estimate at this moment. Orthodontics' need to see the patient at first.

I shall be obliged having your opinions on this.

Thanks and kind regards,
Can10
Fix all yours and your family's teeth before coming here. The dental treatment is very expensive in Canada.

amaniziad

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
scorpion_ca said:
Fix all yours and your family's teeth before coming here. The dental treatment is very expensive in Canada.
would like to ask what dental treatment is covered with the health card ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amaniziad said:
None. Most employers include a benefits package with supplemental insurance that covers what the health card doesn't, i.e. some percentage of dental and medications. If your employer doesn't offer this or you are not planning on working, you can buy your own supplemental insurance. Usually there is at least a 3 month waiting time from the time you buy the insurance until it becomes active.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amaniziad said:
http://www.health.alberta.ca/documents/AHCIP-brochure-about-2011.pdf

I believe you may able to find some info from the above link for the province of AB. I think most of the provinces follow the same health care policy.

Although you can buy supplemental insurance, some of the treatments are not covered for certain age group and there is also limit on how much you can spend on each year such as $2,000 or $3,000 could be for dental treatment per insurance calendar year. If your dental treatment costs $5,000 for a year, rest of the amount you will have to pay by yourself and that amount you can claim as a medical expenses at the time of filing income tax in Canada, which may reduce your income tax.

littlekyle

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
May-2012
Hi,

Just to precise how Personal Health Insurance (PHI) is offered by insurance companies in Canada. PHI is considered as an extension of provincial plan, i.e. it extends the payment of what the province stops covering.

PHI usually reimburses up to maximum of 80% the prescription drugs. The preventive dental has likely 3-month waiting period. The restorative dental and orthodontics could have respectively 1 year and 2 year waiting periods depending on PHI plans.

Please note that buying PHI individually is not a wise option in case of employee as you can pay 1/3 or even 1/4 of the premium with group plan.

Loc

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
Loulou79 said:
three root canals treatment 4 $ 3600 !!!! which wont cost u $ 300 in the UAE.
my root canal, which saved my life, was $560, because the root canal just happened on the tooth that crowned before so I saved money for crown. if no crown, I will pay $1200 plus the insurance pay another $1500., total $2700 for a root canal with insurance.

Jul 31, 2015
Hello everyone, i Just took myself yesterday for Orthodontic Treatment In Los Angeles. They gave quote for 5,800 for 20-24 months of treatment both top and bottom. I think the total for mine was 60k. 50k was for the oral surgery where they broke my lower jaw and moved it forward while the upper was moved back. mouth wired shut for over 6m and i was sucking thru a straw. You want to talk about PAIN, well I've never felt anything like that in 40 years. Probably wouldn't do it again if I knew what i was facing!