+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Denied AFTER the test? Missing days in residence

Mar 19, 2014
I applied for Canadian citizenship just shy of the 1095 residence day requirement (I believe the online calculator mentioned 1098). I believed my travel information was accurate and submitted.

I have since been called to take the test and passed. Unfortunately I did not have my passport during the interview (it was being renewed) and I signed authorization for CIC to look into my travel records.

They have recently called me and mentioned there are two travel dates unaccounted for; upon further research I realized that I missed mentioning roughly 9 days outside of Canada.

Thus, this puts me below the required number of residence days.

I'm pretty devastated, understanding it took 2 years to find out that I may be rejected from obtaining my citizenship (no decision has been made yet, but I am assuming the worst).

Is there any way to appeal? What are usually the next steps?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this is the reason why it is always recommended to give at least couple of weeks room after 1095 if one has travelled regularly. unfortunately nothing can be done at this point, since residence calculator is a major flag point. get your CBSA report for the whole timeline and recheck all the dates.

you may be asked to appear before the judge if they think you have a good case otherwise.

Mar 19, 2014
Thanks! What usually happens though? I'm curious if there's a likelihood I appear before a judge, or get handed and RQ...versus an application rejection. It's too bad this happened AFTER I took the test :(

chakrab said:
this is the reason why it is always recommended to give at least couple of weeks room after 1095 if one has travelled regularly. unfortunately nothing can be done at this point, since residence calculator is a major flag point. get your CBSA report for the whole timeline and recheck all the dates.

you may be asked to appear before the judge if they think you have a good case otherwise.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hopeful_canuck said:
Thanks! What usually happens though? I'm curious if there's a likelihood I appear before a judge, or get handed and RQ...versus an application rejection. It's too bad this happened AFTER I took the test :(
theoretically it goes for a judge's decision. i don't think they will flatly reject. expect a RQ and a meeting with the judge on top of it.

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think it will get rejected. If you have been in Canada since applying I don't see any reason they should reject it. You signed the app to the best of your knowledge and they verified it via CBSA records few days short.

Its reasonable in my view to make such error and judge should consider since you have been a good resident and have been living in Canada.

What is your office?

chakrab said:
theoretically it goes for a judge's decision. i don't think they will flatly reject. expect a RQ and a meeting with the judge on top of it.

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When they called you, did they tell you about the next steps? Or if you need to provide any documentation?

hopeful_canuck said:
I applied for Canadian citizenship just shy of the 1095 residence day requirement (I believe the online calculator mentioned 1098). I believed my travel information was accurate and submitted.

I have since been called to take the test and passed. Unfortunately I did not have my passport during the interview (it was being renewed) and I signed authorization for CIC to look into my travel records.

They have recently called me and mentioned there are two travel dates unaccounted for; upon further research I realized that I missed mentioning roughly 9 days outside of Canada.

Thus, this puts me below the required number of residence days.

I'm pretty devastated, understanding it took 2 years to find out that I may be rejected from obtaining my citizenship (no decision has been made yet, but I am assuming the worst).

Is there any way to appeal? What are usually the next steps?

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
Sorry to hear that...

Someone asked in this forum recently for help to suggest while applying for new citizenship applications.

Here you go.

Do not apply on exact days or with 3-4 days difference for citizenship application but wait for at least 3-4 weeks to on top of your residency requirement.

Make sure your residency days are correct excluding your all absence.

Residency days are PRIMARY requirement, if you missed out any other document you still have a chance to get over it. But if residency days are shorten, that is a straight denial of application.

Mar 19, 2014
Thanks, I certainly hope so. I'm of course very willing to explain all this to a judge if given the opportunity. But with citizenships becoming harder to come by (or so I've heard), naturally I'm worried.

vinaypuri said:
I don't think it will get rejected. If you have been in Canada since applying I don't see any reason they should reject it. You signed the app to the best of your knowledge and they verified it via CBSA records few days short.

Its reasonable in my view to make such error and judge should consider since you have been a good resident and have been living in Canada.

What is your office?

Mar 19, 2014
They didn't say much over the phone - just that there were two dates that I didn't mention on my application (which I didn't do intentionally) and that I should look into it. I think they're going to mail me something but they didn't say what exactly. Maybe it's the RQ?

vinaypuri said:
When they called you, did they tell you about the next steps? Or if you need to provide any documentation?

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see, what is your office where you gave test?

hopeful_canuck said:
They didn't say much over the phone - just that there were two dates that I didn't mention on my application (which I didn't do intentionally) and that I should look into it. I think they're going to mail me something but they didn't say what exactly. Maybe it's the RQ?

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, Mississauga won't give you RQ after test. so every office has 6 Months after the test to make the final decision. Mississauga is a lot faster.

My guess, they will call you with the full documentation for Judge hearing. I suggest you acknowledge your mistake, show them proof, you have a job, kids and have been living like a good resident. Go prepared with documentation such as Tax assessments, Bank statements etc to make your case.

I think they will be reasonable. I have been following the Citizenship threads over a year now, never heard that anyone got denied because they were short of few days. As long as Judge feels that it is a reasonable human documentation error... you will be good.

hopeful_canuck said:
I took the test in Mississauga. They were very nice over there.

Mar 19, 2014
Wow that's awesome news! I'm hoping this is indeed the case. Thanks for making my day! :)

vinaypuri said:
Yeah, Mississauga won't give you RQ after test. so every office has 6 Months after the test to make the final decision. Mississauga is a lot faster.

My guess, they will call you with the full documentation for Judge hearing. I suggest you acknowledge your mistake, show them proof, you have a job, kids and have been living like a good resident. Go prepared with documentation such as Tax assessments, Bank statements etc to make your case.

I think they will be reasonable. I have been following the Citizenship threads over a year now, never heard that anyone got denied because they were short of few days. As long as Judge feels that it is a reasonable human documentation error... you will be good.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear friends, Fellow applicants!

The law currently says that to apply, one should have 1095 days in Canada, the conservatives added ( unofficially) a requirement that these days be physical presence, some judges beg to differ and jurisprudence is there to confirm it.

So, if you have 1095 days + 1 day, and are absolutely sure of your number of days and of the accuracy of your declarations on the application form, then you can send send your application and have no worries.

It is true that leaving a cushion of a few days might prove helpful in some situations, however, if you declare 1500 days or 1096 days, it is the SAME when it comes to the law, since you are over the minimum requirement. However, CIC will tick on any mistake, so even if you lived here for 1500 days and forgot to mention 9 days of travel, you will have problems and will probably at least receive an RQ if not a judge hearing.

3 or 4 weeks cushion, that's just a psychological guarantee to yourself, to CIC, it is not...

In my interventions, I always try to be factual and to help others strictly follow the rules, a few months ago, I also decided to stop giving my personal interpretations that are built on more than two different variables so as not to give people the wrong advice.

Now to the person that forgot to mention 9 days, well, be honest about it and it will probably be OK, if you have over 1095 days of residence in Canada ( not necessarily physical) , then the judge will probably be hard on you but will also give you chances because if you are short of 9 days of "physical" presence, providing that you passed the test, you live here, everything else shows that you have been here before and after applying ( the KOO Test...or the Balance of probabilities), then he or she will probably approve your application because otherwise, you will be able to appeal at the supreme court and CIC will loose because you will pass the KOO Test successfully, and if CIC looses, well it will be another jurisprudence against them....

So GOOD LUCK ! Get prepared to show everything you have that can prove that you are here, don't lie about the fact that you forgot to mention some travel, don't hide anything and show them that you really belong to Canada and things will probably be ok.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I have my exact travel dates(boarding passes) and date stamps in my passport, so I won't wait for cushion days. Also, for those claiming half day credit for the time before they became a PR, as you go over the 1095 days + 1 day, you loose more of those "half day credits" and the more full days you need to make it up.

Now my prayer is to be able to submit my application before the news rules are ever in effect.

ramsfe said:
Dear friends, Fellow applicants!

The law currently says that to apply, one should have 1095 days in Canada, the conservatives added ( unofficially) a requirement that these days be physical presence, some judges beg to differ and jurisprudence is there to confirm it.

So, if you have 1095 days + 1 day, and are absolutely sure of your number of days and of the accuracy of your declarations on the application form, then you can send send your application and have no worries.

It is true that leaving a cushion of a few days might prove helpful in some situations, however, if you declare 1500 days or 1096 days, it is the SAME when it comes to the law, since you are over the minimum requirement. However, CIC will tick on any mistake, so even if you lived here for 1500 days and forgot to mention 9 days of travel, you will have problems and will probably at least receive an RQ if not a judge hearing.

3 or 4 weeks cushion, that's just a psychological guarantee to yourself, to CIC, it is not...

In my interventions, I always try to be factual and to help others strictly follow the rules, a few months ago, I also decided to stop giving my personal interpretations that are built on more than two different variables so as not to give people the wrong advice.

Now to the person that forgot to mention 9 days, well, be honest about it and it will probably be OK, if you have over 1095 days of residence in Canada ( not necessarily physical) , then the judge will probably be hard on you but will also give you chances because if you are short of 9 days of "physical" presence, providing that you passed the test, you live here, everything else shows that you have been here before and after applying ( the KOO Test...or the Balance of probabilities), then he or she will probably approve your application because otherwise, you will be able to appeal at the supreme court and CIC will loose because you will pass the KOO Test successfully, and if CIC looses, well it will be another jurisprudence against them....

So GOOD LUCK ! Get prepared to show everything you have that can prove that you are here, don't lie about the fact that you forgot to mention some travel, don't hide anything and show them that you really belong to Canada and things will probably be ok.