+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Demystify US visitor length

ajwhite

Jan 28, 2014
Help me understand the facts as a US citizen visiting Canada.

"6 months" -- this what most of us understand at face value for how long we're allowed to stay.
But at the technical level, how long is a US citizen allowed to visit Canada in a calendar year?

If you don’t get a stamp in your passport, you can stay for 6 months from the day you entered Canada or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
- CIC Help Center: How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor?

This differs than the US's immigration laws for Canadian visitors, which is out of the calendar year:
Usually a maximum of 182 days, or about six months during a 12-month period. Those days can be amassed during one trip or they could be the sum of several trips.
- CBC: How long can Canadians stay in the US?

It's the "per calendar year" that always confuses me when it comes to visiting Canada from the US.

---

My understanding is: at the end of the day, they don't want you staying in Canada more often than you're staying in your home country. It's all about where are you residing permanently -- as a visitor in Canada, or in your home country? If you're in Canada as a visitor for more than 6 months, you're primarily in Canada as a visitor -- that's a no no.

So yes, technically in a calendar year, you can legally visit Canada more than 6 months, but not all at once without an extension, and always at the discretion of the border security officer.

A few cases:
Can I visit for more than 6 months straight?
Technically no. But you could achieve this by visiting under 6 months, and then filing to extend your stay while in Canada.

Can I visit for 6 months, come back to the US, and visit again in the same year?
Yes, however, since you already spent 6 months, the border security officer is going to be weary now that you'll now primarily be visiting Canada for the year. You may receive a Visitor Record, or be denied entry.

Can I visit for 3 months, 3 times a year?
Yes, but similar to above.
- Your first visit should go normal, aside from having a good reason to visit for 3 months.
- Your second visit should go smoothly, but at this point you'll be reaching 6 months within the year. The border security officer may be inclined to give you a Visitor Record to ensure you're not a visitor in Canada primarily for the year.
- Your third visit will now be after you've spent 6 months in Canada in a year. Similar to above, you may have more scrutiny and likely to receive a Visitor Record, since you will now be in Canada as a visitor primarily within a year.

------------------------------------------------------------

Is my understanding on the right track?

Last edited: