+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delayed Applications - Citizenship test taken outside Canada

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I took the test outside Canada. Now, I am scheduled an IN PERSON interview in SCB office on June 20. Test completed in March and the application submitted Oct 2022. Physical Presence, Language and Background still in progress.
I am not sure the in person interview will be followed by the oath ceremony or not. Have seen people who were asked to go to the oath ceremony right after the in person interview. Any comments?
Yes but its a rare even. Most of the time its takes 4-6 weeks for LPP to complete after interview and then oath is scheduled.

Reactions: SCBSTCanada

SCBSTCanada

Jun 8, 2023
Reactions: forw.jane

bluediam

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
I took the test outside Canada. Now, I am scheduled an IN PERSON interview in SCB office on June 20. Test completed in March and the application submitted Oct 2022. Physical Presence, Language and Background still in progress.
I am not sure the in person interview will be followed by the oath ceremony or not. Have seen people who were asked to go to the oath ceremony right after the in person interview. Any comments?
When was your test completed? Can you please provide details of your application

torono24

May 3, 2023
Do you expect them to ask you questions about why you left Canada, etc? And also did you update your home address with IRCC with the non-Canadian address? I am going to be in a similar situation, hence asking how you dealt with it.

Reactions: SCBSTCanada

SCBSTCanada

Jun 8, 2023
Do you expect them to ask you questions about why you left Canada, etc? And also did you update your home address with IRCC with the non-Canadian address? I am going to be in a similar situation, hence asking how you dealt with it.
Yes, they may ask questions like when you left. No, I still have an address in Canada an am temporarily outside Canada so I have not updated my Canadian address

Last edited:

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
If you can do that I would personally do it. I don't really think doing it outside cuz major delays but it can trigger an interview. Like in my case I did the test outside march 3 2023 and yesterday I got asked to meet with an official for an interview on june 13 2023 . and I am still abroad I need to travel back for the interview.
How did things go with you?

mopjedopje101

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
I was outside too , came back cuz they asked to come for in person interview , they didn’t asked anything lol just if I speak English ahhaha and after that he just sent to other room and got my oath and certificate .

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
I was outside too , came back cuz they asked to come for in person interview , they didn’t asked anything lol just if I speak English ahhaha and after that he just sent to other room and got my oath and certificate .
Wow so you got everything on the same day?

jack150

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
I just found this thread.. didn't realise doing the test outside Canada potentially caused delays like this.

For people who had an interview after their test, how long did you typically wait? I'd really hope that if they are delaying applications for people outside Canada they at least tell you? I temporarily moved back to my home country shortly after applying but will be coming back to Canada.. just don't know exactly when. The plan was to fly back after getting LPP.

Timelines:

Type: Online application
Processing office: Vancouver
Physical Presence Days: 1097
Application: Single
Application sent: Feb 27th 2023
Delivered: Feb 14th
AOR: March 16th
Background check: April 15th
Test Invitation: May 8th (test window May 10th - 30th)
Passed Citizenship test: May 15th
Test complete: May 24th
Passport request: June 2nd, sent same day. I actually received two additional passport requests (the exact same request email) on June 23rd and August 1st but IRCC responded saying it was a glitch.

freel

Mar 27, 2019
I gave the test outside Canada and will be giving a video interview soon.

Has anyone given a video interview before?

Should I expect to be asked only about my documents and travel during the eligibility period or should I prepare to answer questions about my travel post application submission as well?

chanakyashah

May 3, 2017
I have been outside Canada right after submission i.e. Jan 2022 and even gave my FP and Test outside Canada.
After an excruciatingly delay, i had my LPP completed on 24th.