+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delayed Applications - Citizenship test taken outside Canada

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
Hi, I received my citizenship test email today. Since I am outside Canada, I followed the instructions and sent an email to the specified id with all my details and explained why I'd like to take the test from the US. Immediately, I got an automatic response saying I would not receive an email and should contact Client Support Center after 3 business days. When I search online, I only see phone numbers to contact Client Support Center if I were inside Canada. In your case, did they respond by email or did you contact the Client Support Center after 3 days? If you contacted them via phone, could you please point me to where I can find the number? Thanks in advance! :)
Not sure if the letter and instructions are different now compared to when I received my test invite back in August / September. In my case the instructions were to reply to the same email, Say "Outside Canada" in the title of the email, and then in the body of the email just to list the UCI, Application #, and Name. The very next morning they responded that it is fine and to just go ahead and use the same link from the original invitation letter to take the test from outside Canada. So I would suggest to first wait until tomorrow, as you might receive the response by then. If not received by end of day, then try to reply again to the same test invitation email with the "outside Canada" title and with your details in the email body. As for the Client Support Center, I didn't have to contact them at the time as I did receive the confirmation via email. And not sure how to contact them from outside. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Reactions: nsrk

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
Not sure if the letter and instructions are different now compared to when I received my test invite back in August / September. In my case the instructions were to reply to the same email, Say "Outside Canada" in the title of the email, and then in the body of the email just to list the UCI, Application #, and Name. The very next morning they responded that it is fine and to just go ahead and use the same link from the original invitation letter to take the test from outside Canada. So I would suggest to first wait until tomorrow, as you might receive the response by then. If not received by end of day, then try to reply again to the same test invitation email with the "outside Canada" title and with your details in the email body. As for the Client Support Center, I didn't have to contact them at the time as I did receive the confirmation via email. And not sure how to contact them from outside. Hope that helps! Good luck!
@Zeek88 , you are right! They did respond by email saying it is fine and asked to use the link in the invitation. Phew :)

Reactions: Zeek88

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Sep 2021 online application (Scarborough office). Test outside Canada June 2022- sent email with tickets etc on return which they acknowledged. Background (security was pending) completed Feb 2023. LPP still in progress. 19 months so far, 10 months from test.

I suspect I'll get an email to confirm passport stamps etc at their own leisurely pace. At this rate it will take years.

zaid84

Star Member
Aug 7, 2013
Did they ask you to submit anything after you took the test outside? and did they do interview or ask for date of return?

zaid84

Star Member
Aug 7, 2013
Hi everyone - first post on here. Wanted to share my timeline since this forum has been helpful in keeping track of general progress. Also took the citizenship test from outside Canada - doesn’t really seem to have made a difference. I was gone for a couple weeks and I didn’t inform anyone that I was back in Canada. Called the helpline to confirm - they said everything’s good and I didn’t need to send ircc any confirmation that I was back in country.
Here’s my timeline:

Application Type : Online, Single Applicant

Application Filed : April, 13, 2022

AOR : April 28, 2022

Request for PCC from the US: April 28,2022

PCC sent through webform: May 13, 2022

Background verification : Nov 2, 2022

Citizenship test Invite : Nov 25, 2022 ( Taken outside Canada)

Test marked as complete: Nov 28, 2022

IRCC call: file moved from Scarborough to Mississauga

Status updated: Language skills : Mar 01, 2023

Status updated: Prohibitions: Mar 01, 2023

Status updated: Physical presence : Mar 01, 2023

Ciizenship ceremony : in Progress - scheduled for in person on March 21st

Couple things I wanted to mention

a) received a call from an officer (No caller ID- I was a little suspicious but she just asked me to confirm my last name) on Feb 28th to confirm that I have the US PCC on file - what’s strange is that IRCC has had the file for almost a year but the officer said she wanted to confirm I had sent it. Once I told her I had sent it through webform she said “oh here it is”. LPP marked as complete the very next day.

B) For oath - received a call a couple days ago from a scheduling person asking if I’ll be able to attend a “special ceremony” at the UTM campus on the 21st. Apparently this ceremony is in collaboration with ministry of education and is limited to 40 people vs the regular 100-150 for ircc office ceremonies.

Overall I’m grateful that the process was pretty quick - wishing everyone that’s waiting the best and quick resolution.
didi they schedule your oath while you were outside Canada? did they ask you for date of return?

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
Did they ask you to submit anything after you took the test outside? and did they do interview or ask for date of return?
I personally did not do an interview. Other applicants on this forum have reported that they were asked to do one. In my case, six months after the test (relatively longer than normal), they asked me to submit full translated passport scans of all passports held during the eligibility period as well as the I94 travel history to the U.S. Few days after submitting these documents, they completed the LPP on the tracker and oath became active. Just another note, in my case, I also let them know when I got back to Canada and sent them the boarding pass (just as an FYI). I read in some comments here, that they felt this helped moving their case after being stuck for a while after the test outside. There is no official guidance about this, but not sure if that helped. There are others who did the test outside, and didn't do anything, and their applications moved normally too. So it's a case by case thing it seems.

zaid84

Star Member
Aug 7, 2013
I personally did not do an interview. Other applicants on this forum have reported that they were asked to do one. In my case, six months after the test (relatively longer than normal), they asked me to submit full translated passport scans of all passports held during the eligibility period as well as the I94 travel history to the U.S. Few days after submitting these documents, they completed the LPP on the tracker and oath became active. Just another note, in my case, I also let them know when I got back to Canada and sent them the boarding pass (just as an FYI). I read in some comments here, that they felt this helped moving their case after being stuck for a while after the test outside. There is no official guidance about this, but not sure if that helped. There are others who did the test outside, and didn't do anything, and their applications moved normally too. So it's a case by case thing it seems.
Does Canada border agency stamp passports?

torono24

May 3, 2023
Would it be wise to come down to Canada just for the online citizenship test and go back where ever one came from after the test almost immediately? Would it help to avoid delays in the application? Thoughts?

mopjedopje101

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
If you can do that I would personally do it. I don't really think doing it outside cuz major delays but it can trigger an interview. Like in my case I did the test outside march 3 2023 and yesterday I got asked to meet with an official for an interview on june 13 2023 . and I am still abroad I need to travel back for the interview.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
If you can do that I would personally do it. I don't really think doing it outside cuz major delays but it can trigger an interview. Like in my case I did the test outside march 3 2023 and yesterday I got asked to meet with an official for an interview on june 13 2023 . and I am still abroad I need to travel back for the interview.
Damn that's a pain in the arse and so unnecessary. Which processing office and where do you need to do the interview?
Good luck - let us know how it goes...

shuttle11

Feb 15, 2019
Hi
So you took the test outside and did you return to Canada after taking the test?

SCBSTCanada

Jun 8, 2023
I took the test outside Canada. Now, I am scheduled an IN PERSON interview in SCB office on June 20. Test completed in March and the application submitted Oct 2022. Physical Presence, Language and Background still in progress.
I am not sure the in person interview will be followed by the oath ceremony or not. Have seen people who were asked to go to the oath ceremony right after the in person interview. Any comments?

Reactions: torono24