+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delayed Applications - Citizenship test taken outside Canada

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
They put my file on hold for 6 months until I returned. I can't prove it but it's a fact!
Do you know what's the best way to let them know that I am back? I sent them an email with my boarding pass to the address they sent the test invitation from, and I also sent them an email to their ceremonies e-mail address. I just want to make sure whether there are any other recommended ways based on people experience? Thank you.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Do you know what's the best way to let them know that I am back? I sent them an email with my boarding pass to the address they sent the test invitation from, and I also sent them an email to their ceremonies e-mail address. I just want to make sure whether there are any other recommended ways based on people experience? Thank you.
Email is enough. They will update the same day. They just won't tell you but it's updated.

Reactions: Zeek88

VisaBacklog

Mar 9, 2023
My file is in Montreal - It’s been almost 2 years from the day that I applied my Canadian Citizenship (April 2021),I took the test (outside CA) late Dec 2021, they asked me to send the proof of back to Canada and I sent to the same email .it’s been 14 months I have been waiting for the Oath. nothing until now, i spoke to ircc customer care on March 2nd and i noticed an March 2nd 2023 update on my tracker but nothing was updated. Only background and test are completed, the rest is in progress except oath.. Any suggestions?

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
Email is enough. They will update the same day. They just won't tell you but it's updated.
Hello, I remember you were asked to submit your passports scans when they were processing your application. I received a request from them today to submit my passport scans (translated) and I94 for U.S. travel history. They asked for it to be sent directly to their email. Should I respond to the same email address that I received the request from? I thought since you had a similar experience I'd check. Thanks in advance.

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
My file is in Montreal - It’s been almost 2 years from the day that I applied my Canadian Citizenship (April 2021),I took the test (outside CA) late Dec 2021, they asked me to send the proof of back to Canada and I sent to the same email .it’s been 14 months I have been waiting for the Oath. nothing until now, i spoke to ircc customer care on March 2nd and i noticed an March 2nd 2023 update on my tracker but nothing was updated. Only background and test are completed, the rest is in progress except oath.. Any suggestions?
The March 2nd update was just system wide update. That said, your case is taking much longer. From what I read on this forum, maybe you can reach out to your MP. Not sure how to do that, but I am sure you can find information about that here.

Ohkanata

Mar 11, 2023
Toronto
Hi everyone - first post on here. Wanted to share my timeline since this forum has been helpful in keeping track of general progress. Also took the citizenship test from outside Canada - doesn’t really seem to have made a difference. I was gone for a couple weeks and I didn’t inform anyone that I was back in Canada. Called the helpline to confirm - they said everything’s good and I didn’t need to send ircc any confirmation that I was back in country.
Here’s my timeline:

Application Type : Online, Single Applicant

Application Filed : April, 13, 2022

AOR : April 28, 2022

Request for PCC from the US: April 28,2022

PCC sent through webform: May 13, 2022

Background verification : Nov 2, 2022

Citizenship test Invite : Nov 25, 2022 ( Taken outside Canada)

Test marked as complete: Nov 28, 2022

IRCC call: file moved from Scarborough to Mississauga

Status updated: Language skills : Mar 01, 2023

Status updated: Prohibitions: Mar 01, 2023

Status updated: Physical presence : Mar 01, 2023

Ciizenship ceremony : in Progress - scheduled for in person on March 21st

Couple things I wanted to mention

a) received a call from an officer (No caller ID- I was a little suspicious but she just asked me to confirm my last name) on Feb 28th to confirm that I have the US PCC on file - what’s strange is that IRCC has had the file for almost a year but the officer said she wanted to confirm I had sent it. Once I told her I had sent it through webform she said “oh here it is”. LPP marked as complete the very next day.

B) For oath - received a call a couple days ago from a scheduling person asking if I’ll be able to attend a “special ceremony” at the UTM campus on the 21st. Apparently this ceremony is in collaboration with ministry of education and is limited to 40 people vs the regular 100-150 for ircc office ceremonies.

Overall I’m grateful that the process was pretty quick - wishing everyone that’s waiting the best and quick resolution.

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
Hi everyone - first post on here. Wanted to share my timeline since this forum has been helpful in keeping track of general progress. Also took the citizenship test from outside Canada - doesn’t really seem to have made a difference. I was gone for a couple weeks and I didn’t inform anyone that I was back in Canada. Called the helpline to confirm - they said everything’s good and I didn’t need to send ircc any confirmation that I was back in country.
Here’s my timeline:

Application Type : Online, Single Applicant

Application Filed : April, 13, 2022

AOR : April 28, 2022

Request for PCC from the US: April 28,2022

PCC sent through webform: May 13, 2022

Background verification : Nov 2, 2022

Citizenship test Invite : Nov 25, 2022 ( Taken outside Canada)

Test marked as complete: Nov 28, 2022

IRCC call: file moved from Scarborough to Mississauga

Status updated: Language skills : Mar 01, 2023

Status updated: Prohibitions: Mar 01, 2023

Status updated: Physical presence : Mar 01, 2023

Ciizenship ceremony : in Progress - scheduled for in person on March 21st

Couple things I wanted to mention

a) received a call from an officer (No caller ID- I was a little suspicious but she just asked me to confirm my last name) on Feb 28th to confirm that I have the US PCC on file - what’s strange is that IRCC has had the file for almost a year but the officer said she wanted to confirm I had sent it. Once I told her I had sent it through webform she said “oh here it is”. LPP marked as complete the very next day.

B) For oath - received a call a couple days ago from a scheduling person asking if I’ll be able to attend a “special ceremony” at the UTM campus on the 21st. Apparently this ceremony is in collaboration with ministry of education and is limited to 40 people vs the regular 100-150 for ircc office ceremonies.

Overall I’m grateful that the process was pretty quick - wishing everyone that’s waiting the best and quick resolution.
Thanks for sharing your experience, and congrats!!! A quick question, what’s the US PCC? Thanks.

Xxsaraxx

Star Member
Jun 7, 2017
Hi everyone,
I often travel for work and to see family as I live by myself in Canada. I am not sure if I’ll be in a situation where I have to take my test from abroad but after reading about everyone’s experience I’m apprehensive to take the test from abroad. I have a few questions
- Did anyone of you inform ircc when you left Canada or assumed they just knew?
- I recently got married as well and my husband lives abroad, is it safe to leave Canada to join him and keep traveling back & forth as needed ? I don’t think it’s healthy for my personal life to live apart for too long but I’m confused what to do. I do have a representative so I have his mailing address on file

Thank you

Last edited:

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
Hi everyone, new to the thread! I applied for my citizenship on Dec 28, 2022, and moved to the US right after receiving my AOR. I am still waiting for my test invite (BG Completed on Mar 9, 2023), and when it arrives consider taking it from the US. I don't mind traveling to Canada to take the test if that would ensure that there is no delay in the citizenship process. But, do I need to have a residential address in Canada? I have already notified IRCC through the webform that my address and phone number have changed to the US ones. So, I don't know if it'd help.

Also, another question, I see that some of you have mentioned going back to Canada, and sending your boarding pass to IRCC. Is this going back temporarily or is it permanently moving back to Canada for a certain number of months? In this dicey work situation strife with layoffs, I hesitate to ask my employer to work from Canada for a long time. But, I'd do it if it means that my citizenship is on the line!

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
Hi everyone,
I often travel for work and to see family as I live by myself in Canada. I am not sure if I’ll be in a situation where I have to take my test from abroad but after reading about everyone’s experience I’m apprehensive to take the test from abroad. I have a few questions
- Did anyone of you inform ircc when you left Canada or assumed they just knew?
- I recently got married as well and my husband lives abroad, is it safe to leave Canada to join him and keep traveling back & forth as needed ? I don’t think it’s healthy for my personal life to live apart for too long but I’m confused what to do. I do have a representative so I have his mailing address on file

Thank you
Hi everyone, new to the thread! I applied for my citizenship on Dec 28, 2022, and moved to the US right after receiving my AOR. I am still waiting for my test invite (BG Completed on Mar 9, 2023), and when it arrives consider taking it from the US. I don't mind traveling to Canada to take the test if that would ensure that there is no delay in the citizenship process. But, do I need to have a residential address in Canada? I have already notified IRCC through the webform that my address and phone number have changed to the US ones. So, I don't know if it'd help.

Also, another question, I see that some of you have mentioned going back to Canada, and sending your boarding pass to IRCC. Is this going back temporarily or is it permanently moving back to Canada for a certain number of months? In this dicey work situation strife with layoffs, I hesitate to ask my employer to work from Canada for a long time. But, I'd do it if it means that my citizenship is on the line!
Hi if you can travel back to Canada to do the test, it's best to do so. Just in case. I personally took the test outside (from the U.S.) and informed them at the time via email. They had no issues with it. But based on everything I saw here, it seems it could have been a reason behind the delay in my application. Finally, 6 months after the test they completed my LPP on March 14 2023. Other than that and since you already inform them about your change of address there should not be an issue. When the time of the final steps come (after the test), and if you have been in the U.S. for more than 180 days at that point, they might ask you for a police / FBI clearance. But that's about it. This is based on my limited experience so far and what I've seen on this forum. Hope that helps.

destiny2016

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Canada
Same here , more than two years now and still waiting for LPP to be completed. When I call IRCC, they only give me generic responses saying that some applications take above the average processing time. Let us hope we get good news very soon.

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
Hi if you can travel back to Canada to do the test, it's best to do so. Just in case. I personally took the test outside (from the U.S.) and informed them at the time via email. They had no issues with it. But based on everything I saw here, it seems it could have been a reason behind the delay in my application. Finally, 6 months after the test they completed my LPP on March 14 2023. Other than that and since you already inform them about your change of address there should not be an issue. When the time of the final steps come (after the test), and if you have been in the U.S. for more than 180 days at that point, they might ask you for a police / FBI clearance. But that's about it. This is based on my limited experience so far and what I've seen on this forum. Hope that helps.
Hi, I received my citizenship test email today. Since I am outside Canada, I followed the instructions and sent an email to the specified id with all my details and explained why I'd like to take the test from the US. Immediately, I got an automatic response saying I would not receive an email and should contact Client Support Center after 3 business days. When I search online, I only see phone numbers to contact Client Support Center if I were inside Canada. In your case, did they respond by email or did you contact the Client Support Center after 3 days? If you contacted them via phone, could you please point me to where I can find the number? Thanks in advance! :)