+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

delay in citizenship recognised by govt

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/crackdown-immigration-scams-blamed-growing-backlog-citizenship-applications-205119175.html

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Well, it's no fun waiting, but then again I don't want scammers given rights they don't deserve.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Swede said:
Well, it's no fun waiting, but then again I don't want scammers given rights they don't deserve.
In the article they say what ever steps they are taking aren't catching anymore fraud then before.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
links18 said:
In the article they say what ever steps they are taking aren't catching anymore fraud then before.
That was a quote from Steve McCuaig, the national representative for the Canada Employment Immigration Union, so I think it's safe to assume his views are a bit biased. In the article itself, there is a link to another article entitled "Fraud crackdown increases number of Canadians having their citizenship revoked". So, I think the extra scrutiny is having the desired effect and is working.

thunderlight

Apr 5, 2013
don't fall into the lies of the conservative government, they suggest that everyone could be a suspect, that frauds and cheats could be in anyones file that is not true
that is misleading cover for the real intent of the conservatives: they dont want a determined number of people to become citizens, you need to wake up, and open your eyes, the abuse of the RQ being processed in 4 years time when the government can see the same info in a federal computer report in 1 day, the need of raise the citizenship fees to a double so fewer people could afford to apply, the increase of test score pass marks to 15 out of 20 from the 13/20, long waits in the citizenship application for males rather than females because they consider "high risk" in criminal record for a particular gender, some people in this forum have had their entire process completed in less than 1 year from application to oath, you need to VOTE this election and remove that party out of power, bring your relatives, neighbors and make them vote.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
thunderlight said:
don't fall into the lies of the conservative government, they suggest that everyone could be a suspect, that frauds and cheats could be in anyones file that is not true
that is misleading cover for the real intent of the conservatives: they dont want a determined number of people to become citizens, you need to wake up, and open your eyes, the abuse of the RQ being processed in 4 years time when the government can see the same info in a federal computer report in 1 day, the need of raise the citizenship fees to a double so fewer people could afford to apply, the increase of test score pass marks to 15 out of 20 from the 13/20, long waits in the citizenship application for males rather than females because they consider "high risk" in criminal record for a particular gender, some people in this forum have had their entire process completed in less than 1 year from application to oath, you need to VOTE this election and remove that party out of power, bring your relatives, neighbors and make them vote.
Any other conspiracy theories you want to add to the list?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
torontosm said:
That was a quote from Steve McCuaig, the national representative for the Canada Employment Immigration Union, so I think it's safe to assume his views are a bit biased. In the article itself, there is a link to another article entitled "Fraud crackdown increases number of Canadians having their citizenship revoked". So, I think the extra scrutiny is having the desired effect and is working.
Well, not really, since in order to have your citizenship revoked, you must first have been granted citizenship. Who is the CEIU, what do they do?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
links18 said:
Well, not really, since in order to have your citizenship revoked, you must first have been granted citizenship. Who is the CEIU, what do they do?
I think that was exactly the point....citizenship has historically been erroneously granted, which is why it had to be revoked. Hopefully going forward, these extra measures will prevent people who don't deserve citizenship from obtaining it.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
And so, how many citizenships were revoked to the day? Or how many fraudsters were caught with RQ? With numbers, please. Mind you, there more than a year passed since this has started.

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
thunderlight said:
don't fall into the lies of the conservative government,
Do you think conservative government is racist? More and more immigrants coming to this country working very hard and trying to get key positions in government and else where. Do you think they want to avoid that?

I am not a racist ... but happened have this conversation with someone .. though it is not my view. so I thought of taking people views on this...

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
EasyRider said:
And so, how many citizenships were revoked to the day? Or how many fraudsters were caught with RQ? With numbers, please. Mind you, there more than a year passed since this has started.
Over 3,100 citizenships revoked and 5,000 PR's flagged according to this article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-revoking-citizenship-of-more-than-3000-after-fraud-investigation/article4532222/). That was from last year, so I'm sure the figure is higher now.

As for the RQ, no numbers are out yet, but based on posts on this site alone, there are definitely a few people who have abandoned their PR renewal or citizenship hopes after getting a RQ.

Any other questions?

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
LOL, torontosm. That was the conservative bravado from a year ago. And here is the sobering reality:
http://www.canada.com/news/Only+citizenships+revoked+18month+crackdown+fraud/8030613/story.html

OTTAWA - Efforts to combat citizenship fraud are creating lengthy backlogs for would-be Canadians while only slowly weeding out bogus citizens, statistics from the Immigration Department show.

Last fall, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said the government had already revoked 19 citizenships from more than 3,000 people under investigation for fraud since a crackdown was launched in July 2011.

But his department now acknowledges only 12 of those revocations were explicitly connected to the fraud investigations.

And of the 3,000 suspected fraudsters, only 286 have actually been found by the department and given formal notice that their citizenship is on the line.

Ninety per cent have responded with notice of their own that they intend to appeal to the Federal Court, the Immigration Department says. (Hmmm. did not the Minister tell us that the majority of the outlawed citizens would not complain? ;D)

Hundreds more letters are in the process of being sent out to notify people their citizenship is at risk, said a spokeswoman for Kenney...

A citizenship fraud tip line set up in conjunction with the crackdown has so far received more than 22,000 calls, but has resulted in only 132 referrals for investigations.

What a waste of tax dollars and applicants' time...

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ torontosm. Well again all of us are against scammers and for the record the first time i saw the citizenship application i thought it is a joke and i'm glad that someone took the right step to make the RQ a required supplementary form for everyone. But just take the lady interviewed by CBC as an example she works for the 'federal government' and she provided, among other things, her pay stubs. The review of her RQ should probably take 2 hours at the most. Take me as a second example, i work for a well known company since 2005 with a good salary. In the pre-test interview, the CO took a copy of my employment letter and tax returns. how much time does it take someone to process such a case? i don't get it? do you? Further, i do not know any scammers my self, i may have heard about a case or two from friends who in turn heard it from others and so it's all hearsay. If they are not observable to us (people can correct me here) then they must be a minority. No body is against RQs but if I am able to provide you with evidence that amounts to 7 Kgms of paperwork (only a sample) then it shouldn't take you more than 2 hours to process my application. If CIC have concerns, despite such evidence, they should call me directly and tell me their concerns and i can explain to them things that may look like an inconsitency. If they don't do that, this is when bureucrary, anti-immigration sentiment, what you called 'conspiracy theories', comes into people minds. It cannot be that all/majority of people who received RQ are all unemployed. Hopefully reasonable people who are not biased agree with me that there are obvious scammers, slam dunk due citizens and cases in between. There is no logic for delaying slam dunk due to be citizens as there is no logic for delaying slam dunk scammers too.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
kisunja said:
LOL, torontosm. That was the conservative bravado from a year ago. And here is the sobering reality:
http://www.canada.com/news/Only+citizenships+revoked+18month+crackdown+fraud/8030613/story.html

OTTAWA - Efforts to combat citizenship fraud are creating lengthy backlogs for would-be Canadians while only slowly weeding out bogus citizens, statistics from the Immigration Department show.

Last fall, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said the government had already revoked 19 citizenships from more than 3,000 people under investigation for fraud since a crackdown was launched in July 2011.

But his department now acknowledges only 12 of those revocations were explicitly connected to the fraud investigations.

And of the 3,000 suspected fraudsters, only 286 have actually been found by the department and given formal notice that their citizenship is on the line.

Ninety per cent have responded with notice of their own that they intend to appeal to the Federal Court, the Immigration Department says. (Hmmm. did not the Minister tell us that the majority of the outlawed citizens would not complain? ;D)

Hundreds more letters are in the process of being sent out to notify people their citizenship is at risk, said a spokeswoman for Kenney...

A citizenship fraud tip line set up in conjunction with the crackdown has so far received more than 22,000 calls, but has resulted in only 132 referrals for investigations.

What a waste of tax dollars and applicants' time...
I see you opted to omit the part of the article that said:

""The process to revoke citizenship is lengthy so it will take some time to revoke the citizenship of thousands of people, considering the process started only a year and a half ago," Ana Curic said in an email."

As mentioned in the quote above, this process is new and will take time. However, I think it is a wonderful first step and that it's about time the government started doing something/anything to crack down on the fraud. It is far from perfect, and it is indeed expensive, but I am much happier having my tax dollars spent on initiatives like this than on supporting and providing benefits for people who aren't eligible for them.