+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Defer Medical due to pregnancy

peterm

Jan 7, 2006
Hi - just joined - seems like a great forum :D

I am a Canadian living in the US and would like to sponsor my wife under family class. She is from China but is a permanent US resident. We have a daughter for whom we just applied for Canadian Citizenship certificate (entitled by being the foreign-born child of a Canadian Citizen). We're just preparing our Cdn immigration package, but a complicating factor is that my wife is pregnant and we don't want to do x-rays in the medical exam at this time.

So a few questions I have:
1) The medical FAQ states that the medical does not have to be done up-front but that it speeds up the application. However, the guidebook material seems to imply that the medical MUST be done up-front. What we would like to do is submit the forms and have them follow up with us later for the medical (by which time the baby might be born). Is this still possible?

2) Both our first-born daughter and the upcoming baby are in theory Canadian citizens automatically. If so, they shouldn't need to be sponsored. But, we only just applied for our first-born's Citizenship certificate, and we likely won't have time to get one for the second baby (assuming immigration gets processed in a year or so). So, do I have to state that I'd like to sponsor our children (even if they're 'undocumented' citizens)?

3) Apparently China doesn't keep very rigourous criminal records, and my wife has not lived there in 7 years. All she has is a statement from the time she left indicating she doesn't have a criminal record there. She said it generally wouldn't be possible to get a new one issued. Is this a problem if we submit the old statement?

Thanks for any advice.
Peter

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

peterm said:

I am a Canadian living in the US and would like to sponsor my wife under family class. She is from China but is a permanent US resident. We have a daughter for whom we just applied for Canadian Citizenship certificate (entitled by being the foreign-born child of a Canadian Citizen). We're just preparing our Cdn immigration package, but a complicating factor is that my wife is pregnant and we don't want to do x-rays in the medical exam at this time.

1) The medical FAQ states that the medical does not have to be done up-front but that it speeds up the application. However, the guidebook material seems to imply that the medical MUST be done up-front. What we would like to do is submit the forms and have them follow up with us later for the medical (by which time the baby might be born). Is this still possible?

2) Both our first-born daughter and the upcoming baby are in theory Canadian citizens automatically. If so, they shouldn't need to be sponsored. But, we only just applied for our first-born's Citizenship certificate, and we likely won't have time to get one for the second baby (assuming immigration gets processed in a year or so). So, do I have to state that I'd like to sponsor our children (even if they're 'undocumented' citizens)?

3) Apparently China doesn't keep very rigourous criminal records, and my wife has not lived there in 7 years. All she has is a statement from the time she left indicating she doesn't have a criminal record there. She said it generally wouldn't be possible to get a new one issued. Is this a problem if we submit the old statement?

Thanks for any advice.
Peter
1. Submit the application with a cover stating that your wife is pregnant and will complete the medical after delivery.
2. You don't include the children in the sponsorship as they are Canadians
3. She will have to get a criminal records check from China see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/police-cert/asia-pacific/china.html as it has to be less than 6 months old. Don't forget she will need an FBI fingerprint check as well.
4. Also ensure that you include a statement that once your spouse is issued a visa that you will return to Canada. You should outline what your plans as to accommodation, job etc will be in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

peterm said:

Thanks for any advice.
Peter
1. Submit the application with a cover stating that your wife is pregnant and will complete the medical after delivery.
2. You don't include the children in the sponsorship as they are Canadians
3. She will have to get a criminal records check from China see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/police-cert/asia-pacific/china.html as it has to be less than 6 months old. Don't forget she will need an FBI fingerprint check as well.
4. Also ensure that you include a statement that once your spouse is issued a visa that you will return to Canada. You should outline what your plans as to accommodation, job etc will be in Canada.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:?: Even if the children are Canadians he still has to write them in the application declaring he has children that he is responsible for. It would be considered a fraud if you don't declare you have children. Right?

tuli

Jan 16, 2006
copying pasting it from immigrationguides.com

China police certificate - 2005/12/14 21:49
I am Chinese living in the US and want to apply for Canadian PR. Does anyone know how to obtain a police certficate for the time I lived in China? Should I from the consulate here or from China.

Thanks!
Get it from China. It should be pretty easy. What you are looking for is a Notarized Certificate of "No Criminal Offense" issued by a local notary agency (Gong Zheng Chu). Have someone in your family lor a friend make an enquiry with the local notary agency on what to bring. I heard the requirements could vary slightly from place to place. In my case, my brother had to bring:

1) two passport-size photos of me,

2) a letter from the local police bureau attesting that I had committed no criminal offence of any nature for the entire duration of living in China.

3) about 700 (don´t remember the exact amount now) for the notary fee.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:D The best thing to do to save money is to call immigration and they will tell him exactly what he needs and use a notary public to certify any documents..costs only 10$ or 5$ a copy..

peterm

Jan 7, 2006
The guide (3900E_Guide.pdf) says:
"You cannot sponsor a child who was born to you outside of Canada and you had Canadian citizenship at the time of his or her birth. You should instead apply for proof of citizenship for that child. See relevant information on our Web site or obtain the package Application for a Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizenship). To apply outside of Canada, contact a Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate."

I take that to mean that a Canadian citizen child does not have to be listed in section C of 1344A even if they are a dependent of a sponsored spouse (because the child does not need to be sponsored). I'm checking elsewhere in the forms package to see if a Canadian citizen child would need to be listed anywhere.

DancingFeather said:
:?: Even if the children are Canadians he still has to write them in the application declaring he has children that he is responsible for. It would be considered a fraud if you don't declare you have children. Right?

peterm

Jan 7, 2006
update - the application package asks about children in a few other places:

form 5540 (Sponsor Questionnaire), section 15 asks the sponsor to list their children
form 0008 (Application for Permanent Reseidence), page 2 asks for details of family members but specifically excludes members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents
form 5406 (Additional Family Information), section B asks the applicant (sponsored person) to list all children regardless of place of residence

So, in my case, I will list our daughter only on 5540, section 15 and on forn 5406, section B because she is a Canadian citizen ( not in in section C of 1344A, or page 2 of 0008)