+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Defer landing

wpsteel79

Mar 22, 2009
I am going to Canada next week for a job interview and will only be there for 2 days. Can I defer landing until January when I intend to come over with my wife? Is there any advantage in landing next week?

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi wpsteel

Not sure if it's appropriate in your specific circumstances but I am going for a couple of weeks (to land) and then will move permanently when my house sells. I figured it would be easier to get PR card, and get SIN etc., but it would depend on whether you have a Canadian address already (for PR card to be sent to) and whether or not you could enter without your spouse / sponsor if she was not going with you at the time you land. My partner is going a couple of weeks before me so will already be "restablishing" as per the agreement. Undoubtedly someone with give more accurate advice.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can land as long as your visa has not expired. Make sure that you land before that date.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I have a question about landing too, but don't think it's necessary to start a new thread. I'm hoping to tag on here and get some advice. I'm US citizen staying in Canada. I got a passport request from Buffalo (for my PR) a couple days ago and if the Buffalo office can do a same day service (I will call them and ask on Monday) I plan to drive down and submit my passport in person.

My question is...once I have the visa stamp and confirmation of permanent residence status can I come and go between Canada and the US with no problems at the border, or must I wait until I have my PR card in hand? The reason I ask is because I would like to go to Buffalo and get the stamp, etc asap but then go later (around Christmas) to retrieve my belongings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi AllisonVSC,

I addressed those exact questions in my landing post: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-experience-inperson-visa-collection-in-buffalo-and-landing-t28554.0.html;msg164127#msg164127

You can find answers there.

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
I am planning to cross the border next week without landing. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
wpsteel79 said:
I am going to Canada next week for a job interview and will only be there for 2 days. Can I defer landing until January when I intend to come over with my wife? Is there any advantage in landing next week?
do you need visa to enter Canada? if yes, you will have to make landing as soon as you arrive to Canad, as that's the only type of entry visa you have.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Karlshammar said:
Hi AllisonVSC,

I addressed those exact questions in my landing post: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-experience-inperson-visa-collection-in-buffalo-and-landing-t28554.0.html;msg164127#msg164127

You can find answers there.
Thank you for the link to your post, Karlshammar. It was very informative. One other question for you. Did you drive your own vehicle and was it already registered in Canada? I was thinking of driving my sponsors vehicle, but don't know if that will give me problems (he won't be going with me). My vehicle is registered and insured in the US, but the tag appears expired due to problems with mail forwarding.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
hello,
if you live in the US you can simply cross the borde without landing. if they ask, just explain to them that you have plans to do landing later. there will be no problem at all.

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
I live in Canada but am still planning to defer landing when I return from travel to the US next week. I have a work permit valid until December 2010, so hopefully this should be OK.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No problem!

I drove our own car, but the car is already registered in Ontario, so that was not an issue for me.

From what I understand, you first have to export it with the U.S. and then import it into Canada. Nothing difficult, but some paperwork based on what I've heard.

AllisonVSC said:
Thank you for the link to your post, Karlshammar. It was very informative. One other question for you. Did you drive your own vehicle and was it already registered in Canada? I was thinking of driving my sponsors vehicle, but don't know if that will give me problems (he won't be going with me). My vehicle is registered and insured in the US, but the tag appears expired due to problems with mail forwarding.