+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Default PR and Canadian Passport Through PhD Route

elhamsaad

Aug 28, 2020
Good Morning to all,

I am Civil Engineer working as Project Manager in Dubai, I have master’s degree in Structural Engineer at University of Nottingham in UK. I am looking for the best way to get my Canadian passport for me and my family which consist of wife and 1-year old child.
My plan is to apply as immigrant to work in Canada as professional civil engineer, however, I am aware that these days finding job will be quit difficult as Canadian company will prefer to have Canadian education and experience which I don’t have. Therefore, I decided first to get The PR before landing in Canada through specialized immgration companies in Dubai. (I believe I can have high score due to my qualification). Then After getting the PR I can contact couple of universities and assistant professors to get funding to start my education before landing in Canada. Hence, my question, at this scenario, can I get the passport with 3 years. (As I don’t want to come as student, then apply to PR which will consume more time to get the passport)
Note: I may continue my work as project manger if I found a decent job, however, I will secure PhD opportunity before I arrive to be on the safe side me and my family.

So please guide me where to search or to read to get enough data to start my planning journey.

Some information about me:

1- I am Civil Engineer
2- I am 32 years old
3- I am well educated and first in class in both my bachelor and Master studies

Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So am sure others will comment as well but just for clarity you need to be a PR for the 3 years in the 5 years preceeding a citizenship application. Or at least a minimum 2 years as PR plus a couple of years with some other status in Canada that you can claim one half day for each full day for a year credit. Note that a citizenship application requires physical presence of 3 years total in Canada in the 5 years before the application is submitted

Once you have applied for citizenship it could take anything from 12-18 months to complete although sometimes less no way to predict so that might be worst case.

In first instance of course you need to become a PR and that could maybe take upto 12 months so overall your plan to get to Canadian citizenship could take best case 4-5 years given residency and processing time, maybe longer

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good Morning to all,

I am Civil Engineer working as Project Manager in Dubai, I have master’s degree in Structural Engineer at University of Nottingham in UK. I am looking for the best way to get my Canadian passport for me and my family which consist of wife and 1-year old child.
My plan is to apply as immigrant to work in Canada as professional civil engineer, however, I am aware that these days finding job will be quit difficult as Canadian company will prefer to have Canadian education and experience which I don’t have. Therefore, I decided first to get The PR before landing in Canada through specialized immgration companies in Dubai. (I believe I can have high score due to my qualification). Then After getting the PR I can contact couple of universities and assistant professors to get funding to start my education before landing in Canada. Hence, my question, at this scenario, can I get the passport with 3 years. (As I don’t want to come as student, then apply to PR which will consume more time to get the passport)
Note: I may continue my work as project manger if I found a decent job, however, I will secure PhD opportunity before I arrive to be on the safe side me and my family.

So please guide me where to search or to read to get enough data to start my planning journey.

Some information about me:

1- I am Civil Engineer
2- I am 32 years old
3- I am well educated and first in class in both my bachelor and Master studies

Thank you

Having a Canadian passport within 3 years is not a realistic target. You need time to apply and be selected for PR and for that application to process. You then need to live in Canada for three years to qualify for citizenship. The citizenship application itself will likely take around a year to process. So realistically, it will be at least five years before you have a Canadian passport (possibly more).

Suggest you start by researching the Express Entry immigration program. This is a points based program where those with the most points are selected for PR. You want to score 470+ points to have a good chance of being selected. You will need to take an English language test before you can enter the pool and also have your education officially assessed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Reactions: Islander216

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Just a heads up, your qualifications are good but your age is increasing and according to the CRS criteria you're going to be losing points every year you are past 29 years old. So time is of the essence.

Reactions: scylla

elhamsaad

Aug 28, 2020
Thank you all for the valuable information. However, I still have one gap I need to fill.so please follow my logic.

I have the below scenario that I would like to know if it possible:

Saying that I have applied to entry express and I am eligible for PR while I am still at Dubai(I finish all the requirements while I am at Dubai). Then I have arrived to Canada.
Then As per my understanding it will take 3 years+1 year minimum for passport application.

Correct me if I am wrong on the above please, or maybe the PR cant be given directly until I live couple of years in Canada.

I just want clarity at this point

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you all for the valuable information. However, I still have one gap I need to fill.so please follow my logic.

I have the below scenario that I would like to know if it possible:

Saying that I have applied to entry express and I am eligible for PR while I am still at Dubai(I finish all the requirements while I am at Dubai). Then I have arrived to Canada.
Then As per my understanding it will take 3 years+1 year minimum for passport application.

Correct me if I am wrong on the above please, or maybe the PR cant be given directly until I live couple of years in Canada.

I just want clarity at this point
Yes, 3 + 1 is possible for citizenship provided you don't leave Canada during the 3 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you calculated your approximate CRS score yet? You also need to factor in the time it may take to get PhD admission or get licensed as an engineer in Canada. Getting admission to a PhD program will depend on your area of interest and proposed thesis and whether that is of interest to a potential supervisor.