+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaring Jewelry in the Good to Follow Forms

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Hello Folks,

I reside in the US and am planning to soft land in Canada very soon in order to activate my PR Card.

I just had a couple of questions about declaring jewelry.

We have compiled together a list consisting of photos and also details like Description ( such as Necklace , Bangles etc ),the weight in grams and value in USD. This list is what I plan to take along with the filled up BSF 186 forms. So my questions are as follows

Let me know if this should be sufficient? I have photos of all the jewelry in my cell phone and would be taking out color print outs for each.

We also have some other jewelry in form of wedding rings and chains which we wear all the time. I haven't included these items in the list. It's just basically a wedding ring each for the wife and myself along with a wedding necklace. We wear these items all the item. It would be great if any of the experts in this forum would let us know if these needed to be added to our list as well along?

Looking forward to your valuable opinions.

Thanks & Regards
Joshua

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
That's what I did as well, and I had no issues. The CBSA officer glanced at the list and ran her finger down the values column. There was nothing more valuable than $20k in there, so she just nodded and stamped everything.

I have no idea what she would have done if I had something in there worth $100,000 or more. Maybe that would have attracted greater scrutiny.

Here's a sample of my list

Name Price (CAD)
Engagement Ring XXXXX
Platinum wedding ring XXXXX
Diamond chandelier earrings XXXXX
Diamond and Gold bracelets (2 pieces) XXXXX

In addition to this list, I had pictures of everything in the list. She flicked through the pictures as well, very quickly.

Legally speaking, there's no limit on bringing valuables into the country when you land. You can bring millions of dollars worth of jewels in if they are your personal property.

I guess if you try bringing in 25 Diamond Engagement rings you might be asked what that is all about (are you planning to sell them?)

Also, we didn't fill in the BSF forms. I just had the list with me. The officer made copies of the list herself, filled out the BSF form (she wrote "see attached"), signed and stamped everything, and gave me a copy.

Reactions: Joshua2018

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Thanks for the valuable information.It's good you pointed out specifically that you did not fill up the BSF forms.

So did you just jot down the list in a white A4 paper and carry a blank copy of the BSF form with you?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I had a printed copy of my list + pictures. I didn’t carry the BSF forms at all since I knew that the CBSA officer would be filling it out.

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
I had a printed copy of my list + pictures. I didn’t carry the BSF forms at all since I knew that the CBSA officer would be filling it out.
Thanks . So I will go ahead and print out a list and then carry print color print outs of the pictures.

Once again,your prompt and detailed responses are highly appreciated

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
@21Goose

Thanks once again for your valuable suggestions. My soft landing formalities were smooth and hassle-free. The office stamped all the pictures of the jewelry and the cashier provided a stamped receipt.

I successfully returned to the US via the AVR feature.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
@21Goose

Thanks once again for your valuable suggestions. My soft landing formalities were smooth and hassle-free. The office stamped all the pictures of the jewelry and the cashier provided a stamped receipt.

I successfully returned to the US via the AVR feature.
That's great. Come back to Canada in the summer :)

Canmah

Star Member
Nov 29, 2019
Thanks . So I will go ahead and print out a list and then carry print color print outs of the pictures.

Once again,your prompt and detailed responses are highly appreciated

Hi!

For jewellery did you get the evaluation done by jeweler or self evaluation?

Sfzh

Sep 30, 2020
Hi when I landed I don't have pictures so the officer didn't accept the bsf form instead asked us to show it within a year. My question is what happens if I am unable to land within 12 months again is there anywhere I can go or send the form? Do they need pics in color?

Tha King u in anticipation

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi when I landed I don't have pictures so the officer didn't accept the bsf form instead asked us to show it within a year. My question is what happens if I am unable to land within 12 months again is there anywhere I can go or send the form? Do they need pics in color?

Tha King u in anticipation
No, you cannot send them forms online. Better have pictures in color and have a timestamp on it. We have moved after 12months of landing, there wasn't any problem but that was during pandemic not sure if they would question you in future if you surpass 12months.

Sfzh

Sep 30, 2020
No, you cannot send them forms online. Better have pictures in color and have a timestamp on it. We have moved after 12months of landing, there wasn't any problem but that was during pandemic not sure if they would question you in future if you surpass 12months.
Thx for the reply so this means if I land within 12 months of landing I can submit this form right? Where wid you get the time stamps from from an evaluater?