+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaring Family Members

Yuba

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hi,

I am a bit confuse on the Family members sections. The Guide says that you must declare all family members even if they are not accompanying you to migrate under the Family class application.

The Family members here refers to "Immediate Family member" correct?
Does each immediate family member needs to get a medical check-up even if they are not accompanying and do not wish to visit Canada in the future.?
What happens if i do not declare a immediate family member in the application?
Do i need to declare my ex-husband as well as part of the Family member? the ex-husband is the bio-dad for my daughter who is accompanying me as a dependant in my application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am a bit confuse on the Family members sections. The Guide says that you must declare all family members even if they are not accompanying you to migrate under the Family class application.

Does each immediate family member needs to get a medical check-up even if they are not accompanying and do not wish to visit Canada in the future.?
Do i need to declare my ex-husband as well as part of the Family member? the ex-husband is the bio-dad for my daughter who is accompanying me as a dependant in my application.
No ex-husbands do not have to be declared as family members and don’t need to do a medical. In your case you would only need to declare your daughter.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

Note that unless you have exclusive, sole, legal custody of the child, the other parent will have to give formal permission for the child to immigrate to Canada. Without this, they will be not be accepted.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#family_members

Yuba

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
No ex-husbands do not have to be declared as family members and don’t need to do a medical. In your case you would only need to declare your daughter.
thanks for that information. so i do not need to put my ex name down under family.

Yuba

Star Member
Jan 16, 2019
Note that unless you have exclusive, sole, legal custody of the child, the other parent will have to give formal permission for the child to immigrate to Canada. Without this, they will be not be accepted.
i have joint legal custody of my daughter and i have gotten written consent from my ex to allow my daughter to immigrate with me

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
parents and siblings are in the additional family memebers form. (IMM5406)
So YES. All of them needed to be listed.

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
parents and siblings are in the additional family memebers form. (IMM5406)
So YES. All of them needed to be listed.
Thanks for the response. Do you know then which dependants are to be listed on the main application form IMM0008? Is it supposed to be different than the additional family form 5406? If the principal applicant is being sponsored by his Wife, should he list his wife as a dependant still? Or he shouldn't...

Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the response. Do you know then which dependants are to be listed on the main application form IMM0008? Is it supposed to be different than the additional family form 5406? If the principal applicant is being sponsored by his Wife, should he list his wife as a dependant still? Or he shouldn't...

Thanks
I am pretty sure that's in the guide. IMM0008 is a general form, so the wordings apply to all streams of immigration.
I do not think the sponsor's name is needed as dependant. But please double check the guide.
Only family memebers need to be listed in IMM0008 (in IRCC defination, spouse/common law partner and dependent children)