+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaring commercial goods upon landing as new PR

YXE

Apr 5, 2017
My husband recently received his COPR (via outland family class sponsorship) and will be landing in Toronto shortly, then connecting to Saskatoon. He is an artisan and, upon arriving in Canada, will be carrying a number of hand tools, semi-precious stones, silver, metals. The BSF186 is clear that goods declared on this form are household only; they cannot be used for any commercial purpose and cannot be sold for a year. So where/how does he declare these commercial goods? I am assuming his tools/supplies are considered 'commercial', but the only instructions I can find online for how to declare anything commercial seems to be for established businesses or residents of Canada ( ie - CBSA's 'Step by step guide to importing commercial goods' - won't let me post the link ) . My husband obviously doesn't even have a SIN card yet, we certainly don't have a business, as he has never even visited Canada. We would like to start one eventually, which is why he's bringing some supplies, but we're talking about bringing a backpack full of stones/silver that were purchased for about $500CAD (value in Peru, probably worth more in Canada)

Can he just show up at the border and pay the appropriate duties/taxes or will he be held up if we don't have a 'business number'? Which form does a new 'settler' complete for commercial goods? I will be traveling with him, so could I claim any supplies we've purchased, ie stones, as part of my $800 personal exemption?? (I am a Canadian citizen, resident of Canada who has been outside the country more than 8 days). Should I just get a business number under my name? We only have a 3 hour layover in Toronto before our Saskatoon flight, so I want to get this sorted out ahead of time. Would GREATLY appreciate any advice!!! Thanks in advance!!