+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declared wrong date on Customs Declaration Form!! HELP, HOW DO I CORRECT THIS :(

sugardust

Aug 30, 2011
Hi all,

I'm panicking like crazy now.

I've left Canada twice since landing as a permanent resident in Sept 2011. The first time I left was for three and half weeks because my brother AND father had a fatal car accident back home in Singapore, and for some reason I messed up the dates on my customs declaration form - the one where you state how many days you've left the country. Instead of declaring that I'd left for three and a half weeks, I declared five days. This was literally an unintentional mistake, probably due to the fact that I'd gone without sleep for about a week and had been crying like crazy due to a combination of mourning and tiredness. I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing and might have gotten confused because I had a stopover in Amsterdam for five days. :/

I only noticed it NOW after seeing the customs slip they allow you to keep during some summer house cleaning and really, really, want to correct it but I'm SO scared because I don't know who to call up to correct this horrible mistake. Can someone provide me with a number? and also... will I be charged with a crime for immigration fraud or something and asked to leave Canada??? I'm really, really scared...

I really really had no idea, and I didn't do it to commit fraud. The second time I had to leave for 1 month because there were complications with my father's will and I declared those dates correctly. I'm also currently in British Columbia, and will be starting my first year at university here this September, so I do have the means to clock up enough days to renew my PR, it's definitely not because I want to fake my time in Canada.

I'm still panicking, still not sure what to do or who to talk to about this. I really cannot afford to be kicked out of the country for one tiny mistake like this :( So if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. :'( Will this affect my application for PR card renewal in the future????? What do I do, ahhhh.... trying so hard to stay calm.

Thank you!