Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-2009
File Transfer...
18-06-2009
Interview........
02-06-10
Hello. I very much hope someone is able to help me understand my situation a little better and if what is happening is correct.

For my 2010 tax return I reported myself as married and noted on the form that my husband is not a resident and therefore does not have a SIN. He is still in processing abroad for permanent residence in Canada.

After my income tax was filed, I received notice that I may or may not be eligible for the Child Tax Credit because my husband's income was not known at that time. The payments were suspended and I had to send in additional information.

I have frequently seen on various places on this forum that foreign income isn't taxable in Canada, so now I'm wondering if foreign income made by a foreigner, non-resident of Canada can be considered in determining Child Tax Benefits?

I understand that around June, once the previous tax year's information is sorted and filing is made, a new amount of allowance may be given. Is this correct? Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm very confused and overwhelmed with not knowing how to report my husband's information. I'm also wondering how others in similar situations file their taxes.

Thanks so much.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
Depending on the tax arrangement with the other country will determine whether it is taxable or not. My husband is a US Citizen, I had to declare his income as world income, with it not being taxed. His income does count towards the family income level used to calculate the Child Tax Credit. I was originally advised that it didn't but when my decreased by a huge amount due to his income I called again for an adjustment and also had the MP involved and found out that it is used to calculate CTC

As a side note, you have to convert the world income into Canadian Dollars and if you go onto the Bank of Canada website it will explain and give you the overall exchange rate that you need to use to convert it over....

Best of Luck...