December 13, 2013
Med's Done....
January 16, 2014 (rec'd Jan 27, 2014)
Passport Req..
visa exempt
LANDED..........
February 8, 2014
Hey folks,

I did some searches on this forum to see if this situation has been discussed, but could not find any helpful information.

I submitted my CEC application in April 2013 and stated single marital status. My boyfriend and I have been living together for 12 months now and I need to declare to CIC that I am in a common-law relationship. We both co-signed a lease on our apartment 12 months ago.

As he is a Canadian citizen, he will not be part of my application. I want to be sure that I submit the correct forms to CIC and welcome any feedback. The forms/documents I am submitting will be:
- Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union
- Additional Family Information (updated from my initial application to include my common law partner)
- Copy of co-signed lease document to support CLP Stat Dec
- His birth certificate and passport

I do not think I have to re-submit the General Application form as it only requests personal information on a common law partner if they are not already a permanent resident or citizen of Canada.

I am unclear about the Background / Declaration form as it does not specify anything about a CLP included in the application or not. I am goin to take a chance here and not submit it for my boyfriend. My common sense also tells me what a waste of time to go through 10 years of personal history when he is already Canadian.

Welcome any feedback or comments!

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Can't help you for now, but I hope someone else can as I will be in the
same situation in a few months from now.
Bookmarking the topic for sure 8)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
you could contact CIC - send them an email notifying them of your change in marital status and the fact that your common-law partner is a Canadian citizen (attach a photocopy of his birth certificate/passport), and request that CIC advise you on any other documents you may need to submit.

s_w_u

Mar 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
13-09-2012
Med's Request
05-03-2013
Med's Done....
14-03-2013
Passport Req..
11-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Exempted; CoPR 14-05-2013
LANDED..........
15-05-2013; PR Card received 25-07-2013
aand said:
Hey folks,

I did some searches on this forum to see if this situation has been discussed, but could not find any helpful information.I submitted mine under common law

I submitted my CEC application in April 2013 and stated single marital status. My boyfriend and I have been living together for 12 months now and I need to declare to CIC that I am in a common-law relationship. We both co-signed a lease on our apartment 12 months ago.

As he is a Canadian citizen, he will not be part of my application. correct and what I did to make sure CIC don't get confused is that I wrote a brief explanation letter stating my partner is not sponsoring my application thus I am an independent PR applicant. My partner and I both signed on itI want to be sure that I submit the correct forms to CIC and welcome any feedback. The forms/documents I am submitting will be:
- Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union make sure its the stamped original. I paid a lawyer Cad$ 50 for the stamp
- Additional Family Information (updated from my initial application to include my common law partner)
- Copy of co-signed lease document to support CLP Stat Dec
I also included an official bank account statement and a copy of the mortgage approval doc. For the join account I don't know if you and your partner has one. Re the housing doc, I did it just to prove further
- His birth certificate and passport correct, I included my partner's driver license copy too

I do not think I have to re-submit the General Application form as it only requests personal information on a common law partner if they are not already a permanent resident or citizen of Canada. I mentioned this in the explanation letter - why some forms are not provided for my partner (since shes a citizen)

I am unclear about the Background / Declaration form as it does not specify anything about a CLP included in the application or not. I am goin to take a chance here and not submit it for my boyfriend. My common sense also tells me what a waste of time to go through 10 years of personal history when he is already Canadian.

Welcome any feedback or comments!
Hope this helps.

gimmeThatPR

Star Member
Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2013
AOR Received.
06-06-2012
Med's Request
30-01-2013
Med's Done....
08-02-2013
I am in the same situation...
I applied for the spousal sponsorship and then CEC ...
And I didnot put in any info of my spouse as she is already permanent resident.

I didnt even send the declaration as I dont need to prove anything for my relationship for cec as she is not in the application and is a resident already.
you can still call cic to verify though.

All the best!

aand

Star Member
Mar 25, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
1121, 5221
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..