+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Decision made, a few questions.

parks552

May 25, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm currently being sponsored for PR by my common-law partner, and we also applied for my OWP alongside the PR application.

I received a message from CIC stating my application to stay as a temporary resident has been approved. "Your permit has been mailed to the address you gave us when you applied." They also provided me with an eTA document and a Permit - WP-EXT / Permis.

I have a couple questions, if that's okay with you all.

1. Does this mean my OWP is approved?
2. Do I need to go to the border once I get my permit in the mail?
I was on implied status until this decision was just made.
3. What happens next? Am I allowed to apply for a new SIN?

Thank you all very much in advance!

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
I also applied for PR and and OWP with my common-law partner in August of 2018. I am waiting to hear from my OWP. Do you mind me asking you how long did it take for you to receive the email that you were approved? Next week will be 3 months and I am getting anxious.
It does sound like your OWP was approved. Although, I envy you :) I am SO HAPPY for you!!!
I'm not sure what you mean by SIN..and also what do you mean "Do I need to go to the border once I get my permit in the mail?" Are you in Canada now?

parks552

May 25, 2018
I also applied for PR and and OWP with my common-law partner in August of 2018. I am waiting to hear from my OWP. Do you mind me asking you how long did it take for you to receive the email that you were approved? Next week will be 3 months and I am getting anxious.
It does sound like your OWP was approved. Although, I envy you :) I am SO HAPPY for you!!!
I'm not sure what you mean by SIN..and also what do you mean "Do I need to go to the border once I get my permit in the mail?" Are you in Canada now?
Hi Cindy!

The process for me went as follows:
- Submitted documents (both PR & OWP) on July 31st, 2018.
- On August 30th, received AOR for the PR application.
- On October 30th, got asked for a medical exam for the PR application.
- On October 31st, finished medical exam, results are being sent to CIC.
- On November 7th, received OWP approval letter, permit is being mailed to me.

For my OWP, it took abour 3 months and a week since sending in my documents. I heard it roughly takes them between 3.5 months - 4 months for someone to receive the OWP.

By SIN, I mean applying for a new Social Insurance Number, so I can start working again. And, yes, I'm currently in Canada, it was also an in-land application, haha. I'm assuming they'll give me some instructions along with the mail, so we'll find out! Haha.

Thank you! I hope you and your partner hear back soon! I wish you both the best of luck! :)

Last edited:

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
Hi Cindy!

The process for me went as follows:
- Submitted documents (both PR & OWP) on July 31st, 2018.
- On August 30th, received AOR for the PR application.
- On October 30th, got asked for a medical exam for the PR application.
- On October 31st, finished medical exam, results are being sent to CIC.
- On November 7th, received OWP approval letter, permit is being mailed to me.

For my OWP, it took abour 3 months and a week since sending in my documents. I heard it roughly takes them between 3.5 months - 4 months for someone to receive the OWP.

By SIN, I mean applying for a new Social Insurance Number, so I can start working again. And, yes, I'm currently in Canada, it was also an in-land application, haha. I'm assuming they'll give me some instructions along with the mail, so we'll find out! Haha.

Thank you! I hope you and your husband hear back soon! I wish you both the best of luck! :)

Oh I hope I receive mine soon. Do you mind me asking...did you receive an email before you received it in the mail? My Common-law partner received an email with the AOR but I haven't received anything. I also haven't received anything about a medical. Maybe I will soon. Thank you. You are a big lift for me. :) :) Good luck to you too!

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
Should I go ahead and get a medical or wait for them to ask? Thank you again.

parks552

May 25, 2018
Oh I hope I receive mine soon. Do you mind me asking...did you receive an email before you received it in the mail? My Common-law partner received an email with the AOR but I haven't received anything. I also haven't received anything about a medical. Maybe I will soon. Thank you. You are a big lift for me. :) :) Good luck to you too!
Regarding my OWP? I didn’t receive any ‘mail’, just a mail saying ‘you have a new message in your inbox’, when my application got approved, nothin else (I linked my application to my CIC account, once you link an application, all correspondence will be send there instead of a regular email.)

Regarding my PR, same thing pretty much. Received an email for the AOR, linked my application and all further correspondence went through my account.

Hopefully this helps a bit! I hope you and your partner hear more soon! :)

Last edited:

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
Thank you! I really appreciate your time.

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
When my partner received the AOR receipt I tried linking the account online, but to no avail. I tried with my information with his information..everything..but it always says they have no record of it. However, if I use the online tool to check it tells me that it is being processed...ugh! I don't know why I can't link it. I have the UCI and APP#. I wondered if you linked yours with your husband's info or yours? Do you remember? (unless that's too personal to ask..not asking the name of course..lol) Lordy! I think I might have a breakdown before this is over. I have also heard the OWP is good for two years. Is that correct?
I also have a visitor extension sent in as well, so I will be sure I keep legal status while waiting on everything.

parks552

May 25, 2018
When my partner received the AOR receipt I tried linking the account online, but to no avail. I tried with my information with his information..everything..but it always says they have no record of it. However, if I use the online tool to check it tells me that it is being processed...ugh! I don't know why I can't link it. I have the UCI and APP#. I wondered if you linked yours with your husband's info or yours? Do you remember? (unless that's too personal to ask..not asking the name of course..lol) Lordy! I think I might have a breakdown before this is over. I have also heard the OWP is good for two years. Is that correct?
I also have a visitor extension sent in as well, so I will be sure I keep legal status while waiting on everything.
How did you try linking the application? Did you log in to your CIC account, and linked the application through there?

I had some trouble linking my OWP application, so I asked some friendly people on the forum.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/posts/7345928/

Maybe this can help you a bit.

Have you or your common-law partner applied for previous visa’s (Study/Work/Visitor) If you have, you should already have a UCI number from previous applications, it’s worth trying that number combined with the APP# you’ve received.

The system is very strict, so unless you’ve answered everything correct, it won’t let you link your application.

Don’t worry! It’s a long process, but it’ll be worth the wait at the end. I know what it’s like, haha. But rest assured, it’ll be fine! You already received the AOR, which is a good sign! :)

The OWP is good until passport expiry date. If you receive the OWP before the visitor extension, the visitor extension will most likely be cancelled. Also, you’re on implied status until a decision is made.

Last edited:

parks552

May 25, 2018
Should I go ahead and get a medical or wait for them to ask? Thank you again.
I suggest waiting for them to ask. They will provide you with a document once they ask for you to do the medical exam.

They’ll ask you to print that out, and take with you when you’ll be doing your medical exam.

They will submit the documents and results to CIC for you, so you don’t need to submit anything yourself.

Last edited: