+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[DECEMBER] Online Citizenship Applicants

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Excellent! thanks for asking the right questions. It's actually good for them too.
They won't be filing and scanning all these applications to their servers. And most importantly, it's environmental friendly.

ziadelbaghdadi

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
Excellent! thanks for asking the right questions. It's actually good for them too.
They won't be filing and scanning all these applications to their servers. And most importantly, it's environmental friendly.
You are right, also it reduces the amount of errors an applicant can make = lesser returned application. I hope they publish the link on IRCC soon, I think it will help speed things up for everyone involved.

evoboy2016

Star Member
Jun 3, 2015
DUBAI
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
thanks, ill try to get the digital copies, I hope they still have them. Otherwise I will take another digital one.
You also need to upload the receipt which has the name, date and address of the photo studio.

For the photo upload section, they have a facility to upload multiple files, so you can upload the digital photo and the receipt as well.

ziadelbaghdadi

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
You also need to upload the receipt which has the name, date and address of the photo studio.

For the photo upload section, they have a facility to upload multiple files, so you can upload the digital photo and the receipt as well.
Will the stamp information on the back of the photo be sufficient? It has the name & address and the date in which the photo was taken. They mentioned that it can even be a text file as well

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Will the stamp information on the back of the photo be sufficient? It has the name & address and the date in which the photo was taken. They mentioned that it can even be a text file as well
I don't think it mentioned anything about taking a pic of the stamp. They only mentioned to upload the digital photo and the receipt or a text file of the photographer.
I am using a Mac, so text file for some reason did not work.

prt22

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
I had the same concern as you, i looked everywhere but the link is not in the IRCC website anywhere. So I called IRCC and they told me that the link was given by invitation only therefore it not yet available on the IRCC website. I asked the person to confirm the address https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca and after putting me on hold for a long time she confirmed that it is the correct one. If you are still skeptical, you can call IRCC (1-888-242-2100), select 4, then 1, then 0, to get to the citizenship contact rep, they have a good call-back service so you dont have to wait on hold forever.
Thanks for confirming this! Do you happen to know how they sent out invitations? Like how did they know that person X is eligible to apply so lets send out an invitation to new system? Or were these invitations sent out to people who had applied before but had their applications returned for missing information?

prt22

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
Yes technically it is the same, but as they say specifically not to scan, I would not run the risk of your application being returned for something you can easily avoid. I know, it's annoying. I had a digital one retaken and then ended up not even using it as my online application kept failing and I ended up going the paper route anyway
Hmm don't quote me on this as I am not 100% sure but digital copy and scanned copy are not the same. When you copy a pic from camera to computer directly you also have some metadata copied along with the picture (https://www.howtogeek.com/203592/what-is-exif-data-and-how-to-remove-it/). I am guessing when you upload the .jpg given to you by the photographer, it has all this data uploaded along with it too but when you upload a scanned copy its missing the original metadata?

ziadelbaghdadi

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks for confirming this! Do you happen to know how they sent out invitations? Like how did they know that person X is eligible to apply so lets send out an invitation to new system? Or were these invitations sent out to people who had applied before but had their applications returned for missing information?
I didn't ask, but I do not think that she would have given me that information out of confidentially. For me what I wanted to know is: a) if the link is legit, b) if I can indeed apply online, and, c) if it had any effect on the application. To sum up: the link is legit, I was told that if I was able to sign up then I can apply online, and, the only advantage is convenience.

As for the technical details about the online application she just told me that she does not have access to the online application herself so she cannot actually help, she advised me to use the webform.

ziadelbaghdadi

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
Hmm don't quote me on this as I am not 100% sure but digital copy and scanned copy are not the same. When you copy a pic from camera to computer directly you also have some metadata copied along with the picture (https://www.howtogeek.com/203592/what-is-exif-data-and-how-to-remove-it/). I am guessing when you upload the .jpg given to you by the photographer, it has all this data uploaded along with it too but when you upload a scanned copy its missing the original metadata?
That is what I thought myself when I delved into it. You are right, the metadata on the photo will only be available in the original digital photo.

Gemini020

Oct 11, 2015
Yeh I agree, this picture itself would be the same though. But I did say to actually get a digital picture as they will know and may return the application if it doesn't follow the exact instructions

ziadelbaghdadi

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
So I went to Costco to request a digital copy of my photos and they said they do not give out digital copies! What a waste!
Can anyone recommend a big-box store (Staples, Shoppers, etc.) that gives the digital copies?

thatguyoverthere

Dec 14, 2017
Ok now I am concerned. I did a stupidity by adding scan copy of my photo. Is that goin to cause a problem?
It was literally written there not to scan your passport photograph, they need and will only accept digital copy of your photo :(

If you scanned/added the back of your photo to show the studio info and stamp etc, then that’s not a problem. But the actual photo has to be digitally uploaded, directly and not scanned.

Reactions: namratha_s