+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[DECEMBER] Online Citizenship Applicants

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
This is not true. I have an extensive list of jobs

The largest file I uploaded was 3800kb and smallest 2000kb.
I don't really think it has much to do with the file size tho.
i guess IRCC agents are just guessing at this point because this is all new to them.
my friend tried many times with no success and even called IRCC and every time she would get a different answer/suggestion,she even filled the forms with capital letters but nothing works.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Does this include the digital photo? I recall reading that the photo has to be in JPEG. I already uploaded mine in JPG (which is same as JPEG) without issues.

Please explain!
This may help:

Guys maybe the “science” behind it will calm any nerves about the difference:

.JPEG & .JPG are literally the exact same format. All the information in a JPEG is also in the JPG. Literally the only difference is the extension name. Comparing a JPEG with a JPG is the same as comparing a file called “apple.pdf” to the same file after renaming it “potato.pdf”. So it bears repeating, the only difference is the name of the extension.

So now you may wonder, why are there two different extensions for the same format? Well, back in the day, some operating systems for example Windows could not handle more than three character extension. However, some other operating systems could for example UNIX. Therefore, to account for the other operating systems, the creators of the JPEG image format allowed this compression format to have both the .JPG & .JPEG extensions. Nowadays, Windows is fine with either. And when people ask for JPEG format, either .jpg or .jpeg is totally fine - in fact .jpg is a safer bet since it works on all main operating systems.

What’s interesting is that the application portal does not process the .JPEG extension. Probably IRCC are still using Windows 1 lol

proactivejaf

Aug 17, 2015
This may help:
Hi
my pic is actually in JPG by default
i tried converting it to JPEG but it didnt let me upload
i also reduced all the file sizes to under 800kb didnt work
i used chrome, safari and explorer didnt work
i cleared cached, history didnt work
i am a single applicant with not much travel history either
please help

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi
my pic is actually in JPG by default
i tried converting it to JPEG but it didnt let me upload
i also reduced all the file sizes to under 800kb didnt work
i used chrome, safari and explorer didnt work
i cleared cached, history didnt work
i am a single applicant with not much travel history either
please help
jpg and jpeg are the same thing,see the post above by BOYX.
if all good you can go ahead and submit your application.
good luck

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
thank you
but it fails to submit everytime
i have tried 10 times already
have no clue why
if anyone can assist please?
you are welcome.
lot of applicants are in the same boat,i wish i could help you but all we can do is wait and see hopefully IRCC works on their online portal in the near future and save people the trouble.
my friend sent her paper application today after many unsuccessful attempts with the online portal.

simfhs

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
I really never saw any instructions. Just kept scanning images and uploading other than the photo and physical presence calculator.

I will just reapply if they reject for whatever reasons.
I do not think they would reject the application based on file type. As long as it is the correct document and does not violate the file size limit, it should be okay. Besides for other online applications they support multiple formats pdf, word, jpg etc.

This is a new system, and maybe they will improve it by adding more restrictions when uploading files. Even if you sent something wrong, they may request it again, rather than sending the whole application back like they do in the paper applications

simfhs

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Most people who failed once could not reapply again, right?
There must be some criteria why some applicants cant apply online, maybe its uci number or time period when someone became pr or something else who knows

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Most people who failed once could not reapply again, right?
There must be some criteria why some applicants cant apply online, maybe its uci number or time period when someone became pr or something else who knows
i don't think IRCC would use such a discriminatory criteria to decide who can and can't apply online.
it clearly says that if you are between the ages of 18 and 54 years old,single applicant and meet some basic criteria you can use the online portal.
this is 100% a technical issue/glitch...time will tell.

Reactions: simfhs

1+1=11

Dec 4, 2020
Hey guys, soon to be December applicant here. First off, huge thanks for BOYX for starting this thread, maintaining the trackers, and being kind enough to offer me advice. I wanted to briefly share my situation with you all in hopes of getting some feedback and recommendations.

I was planning on mailing in my application early next week while asking for urgent processing under compassionate grounds. Cannot renew/issue passport and a parent has a medical condition overseas. I realize requesting under compassionate grounds is completely at the discretion of the officer and is not guaranteed to be accepted. The medical condition is not imminent death, just the need for supervision. So, I hired a lawyer in hopes of having them draft a reasonable explanation letter, but other than that my application is extremely straightforward.

Basically, after the launch of the online application, I can’t seem to decide which method of applying has a higher chance to be processed quicker. The online applications are only processing single applicants and with no representatives. In other words, they are asking for individuals and straightforward/less complex cases. It may be safe to assume that these types of applications get processed quicker than the family or the complex ones needing a representative.

I would be super grateful if any of you chimes in with advice or recommendation on which method to apply under.

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: BOYX

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hey guys, soon to be December applicant here. First off, huge thanks for BOYX for starting this thread, maintaining the trackers, and being kind enough to offer me advice. I wanted to briefly share my situation with you all in hopes of getting some feedback and recommendations.

I was planning on mailing in my application early next week while asking for urgent processing under compassionate grounds. Cannot renew/issue passport and a parent has a medical condition overseas. I realize requesting under compassionate grounds is completely at the discretion of the officer and is not guaranteed to be accepted. The medical condition is not imminent death, just the need for supervision. So, I hired a lawyer in hopes of having them draft a reasonable explanation letter, but other than that my application is extremely straightforward.

Basically, after the launch of the online application, I can’t seem to decide which method of applying has a higher chance to be processed quicker. The online applications are only processing single applicants and with no representatives. In other words, they are asking for individuals and straightforward/less complex cases. It may be safe to assume that these types of applications get processed quicker than the family or the complex ones needing a representative.

I would be super grateful if any of you chimes in with advice or recommendation on which method to apply under.

hi,all the best to your parent back home.
as of now no one can tell you for sure which method will be faster but based on recent data from other immigration categories there isn't much of a difference when it comes to processing times.
IRCC is moving toward a complete digitization one step at at time so in the next few years a paper based application will be a thing of the past,also given the ongoing pandemic lot of people are still working from home so an online portal will allow officers to process applications without the need to be in office under strict health guidelines.
my two cents are online applications won't be returned due to missing documents or gaps in history because they system won't let you submit it unless it is complete.
if you can apply online,go ahead.good luck

Reactions: 1+1=11

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013

make sure you give yourself a week or two after completing the required 1095 days or even more if you had lot of travels during the 5 years eligibility period to avoid surprises down the line.