+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

December 2021 - Citizenship Applicants

ATKK_H

Sep 24, 2018
Sean Fraser needs to hear this. The system is broken and immigration targets untenable. The citizenship process is also needlessly complex and arbitrary. The physical presence requirement for one: most people have very little travel: how hard is it to ensure that their travel records are maintained? And if it does need to be verified, Why not ask applicants to provide provide bank statements and property/rent proof upfront?

Background checks are a strange one. Permanent residents already go through extensive checks. So why should it take so long to verify it again a few years later?

Why do some offices process things faster, and why do some applicants at the same office, take longer than others for no apparent reason?

Why aren't the internal "due dates" followed through? Why is there total radio silence for months on end?

And in addition to staff shortages and inefficiencies, I wouldn't be surprised if there was excessive bureaucracy and red tape holding things up.
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I couldn't disagree with you. We went through a similar painful process when we got our PR, and we went through security clearance which is fairly accepting because we are new. It's mandatory to ensure no security risk is associated with an applicant. Citizenship is one of the grimmest processes that I have ever experienced in my life. Going through the same level of security clearance takes unknown months, and my question is why, If I committed a crime, they could find out it in a minute because the data reside with RCMP/CBRA, and I am not sure why they have to traumatize applicants for so long. I understand that the individual cases are different. However, I still think they can set different criteria for different cases based on the complexity, and everybody does not necessarily has to go through a black hole. IRCC needs to work with their counterpart RCMP/CBRA and shorten the processing time for security clearance, and I am sure they can do a better job.

When I am reviewing the requirements for Background Verification and Prohibition, these are the same, but they put it as two separate requirements so that they have a more free hand to delay the applications. In my case, I had no travel, but as someone who had travelled, I had to wait and go through the same process. They have to define the case processing requirements for all the cases because one size shoe doesn't fit everyone.

The more they delay, the more they think they are successful, but they don't feel and understand the stress, anxiety, and pain that the unknown wait causes the applicants. They don't provide updates or communicate with the applicants. They have a tracker which, in most cases, provides inaccurate generic information. When you call IRCC's call centre after hours of attempts, they acknowledge the same incomplete information in the tracker and don't have access to updates. IRCC must develop a communication tool to provide direct access to information, so applicants should have access to the information about their applications.

There are more immigrants from certain countries than others, and they also have a strong political presence in the federal and provincial government and government institutions. Applicants from those counties are considered less risky than other counties and get processed relatively quickly. It's discrimination, and IRCC must treat all applicants the same.

I applied in December 2021, and my wife applied in December 2022. Our application status is currently the same, with one year difference, and we come with the same background. They completed my wife's background check in four months, and mine took 16 months. My question is, why.

Despite all problems that IRCC invites, hundred of thousand of immigrants into Canada annually, there are always delays and backlogs. IRCC is one of the essential ministries that brings the workforce and taxpayers to the country, which ultimately has a direct connection with the economy and prosperity of the country. They must invest more resources and develop tools and systems to boost efficiency, reduce wait time and develop achievable and measurable plans.

It's helpful that more citizenship applicants speak up and share their experiences with IRCC's bureaucracy so that our voice eventually reaches Sean Fraser. The citizenship application process directly impacts applicants, life, family, career, and future. Hence it's one of the essential processes in an applicant's life. The process is cumbersome and traumatizing, and we are confident that IRCC can become more responsive and efficient in doing a better job.

Last edited:

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I couldn't disagree with you. We went through a similar painful process when we got our PR, and we went through security clearance which is fairly accepting because we are new. It's mandatory to ensure no security risk is associated with an applicant. Citizenship is one of the grimmest processes that I have ever experienced in my life. Going through the same level of security clearance takes unknown months, and my question is why, If I committed a crime, they could find out it in a minute because the data reside with RCMP/CBRA, and I am not sure why they have to traumatize applicants for so long. I understand that the individual cases are different. However, I still think they can set different criteria for different cases based on the complexity, and everybody does not necessarily has to go through a black hole. IRCC needs to work with their counterpart RCMP/CBRA and shorten the processing time for security clearance, and I am sure they can do a better job.

When I am reviewing the requirements for Background Verification and Prohibition, these are the same, but they put it as two separate requirements so that they have a more free hand to delay the applications. In my case, I had no travel, but as someone who had travelled, I had to wait and go through the same process. They have to define the case processing requirements for all the cases because one size shoe doesn't fit everyone.

The more they delay, the more they think they are successful, but they don't feel and understand the stress, anxiety, and pain that the unknown wait causes the applicants. They don't provide updates or communicate with the applicants. They have a tracker which, in most cases, provides inaccurate generic information. When you call IRCC's call centre after hours of attempts, they acknowledge the same incomplete information in the tracker and don't have access to updates. IRCC must develop a communication tool to provide direct access to information, so applicants should have access to the information about their applications.

There are more immigrants from certain countries than others, and they also have a strong political presence in the federal and provincial government and government institutions. Applicants from those counties are considered less risky than other counties and get processed relatively quickly. It's discrimination, and IRCC must treat all applicants the same.

I applied in December 2021, and my wife applied in December 2022. Our application status is currently the same, with one year difference, and we come with the same background. They completed my wife's background check in four months, and mine took 14 months. My question is, why.

Despite all problems that IRCC invites, hundred of thousand of immigrants into Canada annually, there are always delays and backlogs. IRCC is one of the essential ministries that brings the workforce and taxpayers to the country, which ultimately has a direct connection with the economy and prosperity of the country. They must invest more sources and develop tools and systems to boost efficiency, reduce wait time and develop achievable and measurable plans.

It's helpful that more citizenship applicants speak up and share their experiences with IRCC's bureaucracy so that our voice eventually reaches Sean Fraser. The citizenship application process directly impacts applicants, life, family, career, and future. Hence it's one of the essential processes in an applicant's life. The process is cumbersome and traumatizing, and we are confident that IRCC can become more responsive and efficient in doing a better job.
Very well put! Might I suggest you convey this to your MP, or directly in writing to Sean Fraser? I’d co-sign such a letter.

Citizenship has indeed been needlessly traumatic for me also. I lost my job, my career was destroyed and now my father is about to die- I can’t get a passport in my previous nationality- and my urgent processing application is presumably in a black hole due to this strike. And I suspect my file has been labeled as “low priority”, as in spite of background finally clearing months ago, my LPP has still not started. In my case, PR was a breeze.

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022

I applied in December 2021, and my wife applied in December 2022. Our application status is currently the same, with one year difference, and we come with the same background. They completed my wife's background check in four months, and mine took 14 months. My question is, why.

Despite all problems that IRCC invites, hundred of thousand of immigrants into Canada annually, there are always delays and backlogs. IRCC is one of the essential ministries that brings the workforce and taxpayers to the country, which ultimately has a direct connection with the economy and prosperity of the country. They must invest more sources and develop tools and systems to boost efficiency, reduce wait time and develop achievable and measurable plans.

If you want to directly write and give your feedback to the Minister:
IRCC.Minister-Ministre.IRCC@cic.gc.ca

You might not get a response... but you would have done your duty to try and improve the system :)

Reactions: ATKK_H

ATKK_H

Sep 24, 2018
Very well put! Might I suggest you convey this to your MP, or directly in writing to Sean Fraser? I’d co-sign such a letter.

Citizenship has indeed been needlessly traumatic for me also. I lost my job, my career was destroyed and now my father is about to die- I can’t get a passport in my previous nationality- and my urgent processing application is presumably in a black hole due to this strike. And I suspect my file has been labeled as “low priority”, as in spite of background finally clearing months ago, my LPP has still not started. In my case, PR was a breeze.
Sadly, the citizenship application affected your personal and professional life. Sorry to hear that. Well, MPs provide lip services, and they are already aware of this fact because they receive thousands of complaints, but there is less they can do, and the MP office gets the standard response from the IRCC wait for 24 months wait time. I have already written and shared my concerns with Sean Fraser's office. He doesn't care about an immigrant complaint and getting briefed by his great advisors, who feed him that IRCC is doing great. IRCC is practicing old-school classical management theories, and the system is pretty old that doesn't fulfill the new era's needs and requirements. We request that respectful authorities pay attention to the applicants' concerns and work hard to make the process less painful. In return, applicants pay taxes for everything except free breading air in Canada.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Sadly, the citizenship application affected your personal and professional life. Sorry to hear that. Well, MPs provide lip services, and they are already aware of this fact because they receive thousands of complaints, but there is less they can do, and the MP office gets the standard response from the IRCC wait for 24 months wait time. I have already written and shared my concerns with Sean Fraser's office. He doesn't care about an immigrant complaint and getting briefed by his great advisors, who feed him that IRCC is doing great. IRCC is practicing old-school classical management theories, and the system is pretty old that doesn't fulfill the new era's needs and requirements. We request that respectful authorities pay attention to the applicants' concerns and work hard to make the process less painful. In return, applicants pay taxes for everything except free breading air in Canada.
Watch out for air tax, coming soon no doubt!

hyper

Star Member
May 26, 2016
Checked the mailbox today and found my citizenship certificate waiting for me. It’s finally over. Wishing everyone else waiting to complete this stressful process good luck and good news soon

Reactions: johnjkjk

abhcan

Star Member
Type: Online application
Physical Presence Days: 1,298 days
Application: Single
Application submitted: December 29, 2021
Delivered: December 29, 2021
AOR: Feb 23, 2022
Test Invite : Sep 7, 2022
Fingerprint request : Sep 9, 2022
Period to take citizenship test : Sep 9 - Sep 29, 2022
Fingerprint given : Sep 14, 2022
Type: Online application
Physical Presence Days: 1,298 days
Application: Single
Application submitted: December 29, 2021
Delivered: December 29, 2021
AOR: Feb 23, 2022
Test Invite : Sep 7, 2022
Fingerprint request : Sep 9, 2022
Period to take citizenship test : Sep 9 - Sep 29, 2022
Fingerprint given : Sep 14, 2022
Test passed : Sep 21, 2022
Test marked complete : Sep 27, 2022
Fingerprint results received : Oct 2, 2022
Background verification marked completed : April 19, 2023
Language, Prohibitions and Physical presence : pending

Nick_150

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Checked the mailbox today and found my citizenship certificate waiting for me. It’s finally over. Wishing everyone else waiting to complete this stressful process good luck and good news soon
How long it took after the oath ?

abhcan

Star Member
After exactly 6 months since the fingerprint results were received, I finally got an update that my background verification is completed.

Everything else is still under progress. Should I be expecting things to move faster now? or the Prohibitions and Physical Presence would still take so long?
something similar for me.

sep 3rd week completed citizenship test... april 19 bg completed... april 21 ghost update... hoping language and Physical presence complete soon.

ATKK_H

Sep 24, 2018
IRCC employees or low-wage workers are on strike, and the federal government refuses to pay wages to match the inflation and cost of living. The strike continues neither the workers nor the federal government gets affected. Only IRCC clients get impacted with their PR, Visa, Passport, and Citizenship applications get delayed on top of the COVID delays and who cares about an immigrant's life? There are so many of them, and so many disparate people worldwide wish to come to Canada. The priority is to continue with the strike and disagree with each other, and it doesn't matter if it takes weeks or months.

Reactions: johnjkjk

jaydevadhikari

Star Member
Mar 24, 2015
My wife's application has seen no update since 11th October, 2022 when her background verification was cleared. Language, Prohibitions and Physical presence has been pending for more than 6 months now. We raised a concern in Feb with local MP, but no use. We even requested GCMS notes to see if we can get some more clarity around the application but that was of no use either ($5 wasted). Her PR card is due to expire in September. We are wondering if we should renew the PR card now at least.

The weirdest thing is that some of our friends and relatives who submitted the application months AFTER her , and in the same processing office (Scarbourough), got their applications processed. I have no idea how they manage these applications wherein some applications get processed much faster than others.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
My wife's application has seen no update since 11th October, 2022 when her background verification was cleared. Language, Prohibitions and Physical presence has been pending for more than 6 months now. We raised a concern in Feb with local MP, but no use. We even requested GCMS notes to see if we can get some more clarity around the application but that was of no use either ($5 wasted). Her PR card is due to expire in September. We are wondering if we should renew the PR card now at least.

The weirdest thing is that some of our friends and relatives who submitted the application months AFTER her , and in the same processing office (Scarbourough), got their applications processed. I have no idea how they manage these applications wherein some applications get processed much faster than others.
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm also in a similar situation with LPP pending and I'm a sep 2021 applicant. MP refused to help. Applied for urgent processing before the strike.

Do your notes show LPP to be "not started" or "in progress", and what is the file location (perhaps "e-grant test ready", "review ready" etc)? Do you have anything which you feel could cause a delay e.g. self employment/unemployment/low income/test outside Canada etc?

Regarding PR, I recommend renewing 2 months before it expires, if still needed (Hopefully you'll get an update by then).

jaydevadhikari

Star Member
Mar 24, 2015
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm also in a similar situation with LPP pending and I'm a sep 2021 applicant. MP refused to help. Applied for urgent processing before the strike.

Do your notes show LPP to be "not started" or "in progress", and what is the file location (perhaps "e-grant test ready", "review ready" etc)? Do you have anything which you feel could cause a delay e.g. self employment/unemployment/low income/test outside Canada etc?

Regarding PR, I recommend renewing 2 months before it expires, if still needed (Hopefully you'll get an update by then).
Thanks a lot for the reply.

LPP shows not ready in the GCMS notes, and file location is "e-grant test ready". What does that mean?
There is nothing in her file that would cause a delay. She and I have the same employment status, income, and gave test same day, but my application was approved back in November last year, and hers is still pending.