+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DECEMBER 2019 *OUTLAND* SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

Dalston1234

Oct 4, 2020
Hi All

My partner who is the Principal Applicant received her letter confirming the Permanent Residency on October 1, and GCKEY updated to say that her application was approved. We have not technically received the COPR which I understand will come in the mail shortly. We are planning to do a "soft landing" in early January to trigger the PR before her medicals expire at the end of January. However, we recently came across on CIC website the following

To meet the travel restriction exemptions, you must also:
  • be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)
We are not ready to move home permanently quite yet but are planning in August 2021 when hopefully job market improved in Toronto. In addition, it's impossible for us to close all affairs by this point including resigning from jobs and leaving our lease.

I have been reading on other threads that Canadian Immigration will still allow you to enter and they are not enforcing this rule. As long as we land and have a quarantine plan, we can then leave 15 days later. Has anyone on this thread done a soft landing in the last week or two and can set out their experience? If you know a link to anyone who has done this, that would be helpful. We will be travelling from the UK to Canada, so ideally an example where you're flying into Canada (rather than a land border with the U.S.). Thanks

Divu123

Aug 27, 2020
Hi All

My partner who is the Principal Applicant received her letter confirming the Permanent Residency on October 1, and GCKEY updated to say that her application was approved. We have not technically received the COPR which I understand will come in the mail shortly. We are planning to do a "soft landing" in early January to trigger the PR before her medicals expire at the end of January. However, we recently came across on CIC website the following

• be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)
We are not ready to move home permanently quite yet but are planning in August 2021 when hopefully job market improved in Toronto. In addition, it's impossible for us to close all affairs by this point including resigning from jobs and leaving our lease.

I have been reading on other threads that Canadian Immigration will still allow you to enter and they are not enforcing this rule. As long as we land and have a quarantine plan, we can then leave 15 days later. Has anyone on this thread done a soft landing in the last week or two and can set out their experience? If you know a link to anyone who has done this, that would be helpful. We will be travelling from the UK to Canada, so ideally an example where you're flying into Canada (rather than a land border with the U.S.). Thanks
From which country are you applying

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi All

Technically, the quote from the CIC site is what they want you to do by saying MUST but they don't specifically say your are prohibited, so that maybe leaves it open to interpretation. They are discouraging soft landings right now. There are a number of people on here that have said they have done a soft landing and returned to their country, which I don't think they should be doing but that is my opinion. Apparently CBSA hasn't asked these people whether they are settling permanently or not. I guess it's up to you what you choose to do.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My understanding is that _right now_ they are acting such that any COPR that expire can be used later for entry/landing by contacting the visa office with specific details of when they will travel (with some idea that applicants are supposed to say that they were delayed by covid - but no indication of whether one needs a detailed explanation or not). (But will this change in future? Unclear...)

That is the semi-official line.

But I agree with the point that as far as I can tell, the 'must be arriving to settle permanently' does not apply to family sponsorship, and that there is no enforcement mechanism.

They clearly wish to discourage people from travelling more than necessary - hence the carrot of the "offer" to extend validity of COPR/visa. Note they will not extend in advance, only with specific travel plans.

[I find this set of policies and the way they've been explained completely incoherent and incomprehensible to anyone outside IRCC - and problematically so in that they won't give any written confirmation about what will apply in future. It would be far simpler if they just issued longer copr/visa validity. But there it is.]

vinamra2402

Aug 1, 2020
Hi everyone

I just wanted to let you know that I landed safely in Canada! The process at the airport was very quick and easy.
I am in quarantine for 14 days and then I can leave the house.

Wishing you all best of luck
Can u please let me know your quarantine plan?
And also the documents what all u need at the airport?
Do we need corona test positive?

Thank you

KelseyKk

Aug 14, 2020
I checked the online tool and noticed it has decision made for the permanent residency!! but we haven’t got a correspondence yet about it. Does anyone have an idea on how long it usually takes to hear something?

Incase people are wondering about our timeline:
I’m a born Canadian citizen and my husband is from S.Korea. Together for 5 years, long distance for 4. Both 1st marriage and no kids.
APP Received Sydney: Dec 23
AOR: Jan 12
Biometrics Request: February 9
Medical Request: Feb 10
SA: February 10
Bio completed: Feb 6
Medical completed: Feb 26
Medical passed Mar 4
Moved to CPC Mississauga: Feb 18
Also says they started processing part 2 on Mar 4

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
I checked the online tool and noticed it has decision made for the permanent residency!! but we haven’t got a correspondence yet about it. Does anyone have an idea on how long it usually takes to hear something?

I’m a born Canadian citizen and my husband is from S.Korea. Together for 5 years, long distance for 4. Both 1st marriage and no kids.
Medical passed Mar 4
Woo Hoo. Nice. Hopefully you hear something today or this week. Congrats

AngeniMai

Oct 25, 2019

Medical passed Mar 4
I also noticed decision made in my case (I’m the PA). I take it the decision isn’t reflected on the online tool for you either? Do you know if it shows for anyone online?

I wish you approval for you and your husband to be reunited

Reactions: KelseyKk

DGBRSA

Feb 2, 2020
I also noticed decision made in my case (I’m the PA). I take it the decision isn’t reflected on the online tool for you either? Do you know if it shows for anyone online?

I wish you approval for you and your husband to be reunited
Same happened to me yesterday. What’s your country and VO?