+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dec 27, 2018: Border Crossing @Rainbow Bridge to confirm PR; Asked to book in-land interview instead

Sartajan

Jul 12, 2018
Hello,

As the wordy title says, I tried to "confirm my PR" (landing) after receiving my CoPR on the 21st of December, 2018, by crossing the rainbow bridge. I was, instead, asked by the officer to book an in-land interview.

The only reason I tried this is because the contact number they provide with the CoPR for the next steps was unavailable for the past few days (albiet, some of those days were holidays, but even on non-stat days the number reached a dead tone).

I attempted the crossing on a Thursday at 8:30 PM, by going over to the US Niagara side for dinner (which isn't as great tbh) and confirming on the way back. I'd called the Border control at Rainbow Bridge earlier to find out acceptable timings for landing and was told Tuesday to Thursday 8:00 AM to Midnight should be fine. However, the officer was not pleased to notice someone who resides within Canada trying to do a their landing by crossing in. I was first told to book an In-land appointment, but when I mentioned I tried and couldn't get a hold of anyone (and that I had holidays and don't live too far from the border) I was told you can try this again if you'd like, but between 8 and 8:30 AM on Tuesdays to Thursdays might work otherwise it gets too busy.

I just took it as a hint that they are trying to discourage Re-Entry or "Flagpolling" for in-land applicants.

I finally got for a hold of the automated service today and was told to book an appointment via e-mail with details of the applicant, stating they'll get back to me within 30 days.

Hope this helps anyone who was considering the same.