+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

death of the principal applicant

sukhkaran37

Mar 23, 2015
hello everyone can some plzz help me my sister is in canada who sponsored my parents and me under family class in june 2008 and im a dependent our application came in process in january 2013 we had medical twice because it got expired since then my father passed away in this january 2015 soo we have sent the death certificate of my father and marriage certificate of my parents soo that they can change the principal applicant to my mother and have even sent a letter with telling them the situation and to change the principal applicant to my mother and keep our application in further process its been soo long the delhi immigration office does not respond and our application status is in process since 2 years its been soo many years we are waiting and my father passed away now can some pllzz help and respond what will happen and how much time it will take we have submitted all the documents including passports in 2011 can some one plzz tell me what will happen next and how much more time it will take for decision to be made thank you :'(

gfdvca

Star Member
Sep 5, 2014
I'm terribly sorry to hear of your loss

If your sister is in Canada, she could call the call centre at 1-888-242-2100 to ask about the status of the change on the application. If I remember correctly, the parent and grandparent application is submitted in Canada, so there may be fewer issues getting information from the call centre compared to a different PR class like spousal outland through New Delhi. The parent and grandparent class is processed as a lower priority than other family class PR applications so I would reasonably expect the 46 month wait as published on the website.

Good luck.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sukhkaran37 said:
hello everyone can some plzz help me my sister is in canada who sponsored my parents and me under family class in june 2008 and im a dependent our application came in process in january 2013 we had medical twice because it got expired since then my father passed away in this january 2015 soo we have sent the death certificate of my father and marriage certificate of my parents soo that they can change the principal applicant to my mother and have even sent a letter with telling them the situation and to change the principal applicant to my mother and keep our application in further process its been soo long the delhi immigration office does not respond and our application status is in process since 2 years its been soo many years we are waiting and my father passed away now can some pllzz help and respond what will happen and how much time it will take we have submitted all the documents including passports in 2011 can some one plzz tell me what will happen next and how much more time it will take for decision to be made thank you :'(
My condolences on the passing away of your Father.

I remember reading (albeit a while back) in one of the OPs or one of the Bulletins that for parent sponsorship CIC can switch the principal applicant in case of death so you should be ok. Have your sister e-mail Mississauga via the 'Change in personal circumstances' link at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-after.asp to let them know and ask them to switch principal applicants (I'd include a copy of the death certificate).

ETA: It was Operational Bulletin 369 - January 17, 2012 found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob369.asp. The contents of the Bulletin include:

Code:
Replacing the Principal Applicant on an Application for Permanent Residence by a Parent or Grandparent sponsored as a member of the Family Class
Summary

When the Principal Applicant (PA) on a parent or grandparent application for permanent residence in the Family Class passes away prior to permanent residence being granted and where the sponsor makes a request, the officer may replace the PA with the individual identified on the application as the accompanying spouse or common-law partner in cases where they are also eligible to be sponsored as a member of the Family Class by the sponsor (i.e. not a step-parent or step-grandparent).
Issue

The purpose of this Operational Bulletin (OB) is to provide operational guidance to officers when the head of family passes away during the processing of a parent or grandparent application for permanent residence and the sponsor requests that the PA be replaced with the spouse or common-law partner as listed as accompanying on the application.
Background

According to R10(1)(e), when an application is submitted and there is an accompanying spouse or common-law partner, the application shall identify who is the PA and who is the accompanying spouse or common-law partner.

OP 1, Section 7.4, states that either person in a marriage or common-law relationship may elect to be the PA. PA cannot be alternated after the processing of an application begins. If applicants wish to have their spouse or common-law partners considered as the PA, the original application should be closed and a new application, including new processing fees, should be submitted.
Instructions
Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M)

During the processing of the sponsorship application, if CPC-M is notified of the death of the PA, the officer processing the application may replace the PA with the individual identified on the application as the accompanying spouse or common-law partner, as long as they are also eligible to be sponsored as a member of the Family Class by the sponsor. CPC officers will request an updated sponsorship application and IMM 0008; however, no additional fees are required. Additionally, the lock-in date for age of dependent children does not change. It remains the date on which the complete sponsorship application and associated fees were originally received at CPC-M.
Visa Offices

Should the visa office be informed of the PA’s death during the processing of the application for permanent residence, the visa officer may replace the PA with the individual identified on the application as the accompanying spouse or common-law partner, as long as they are also eligible to be sponsored as a member of the Family Class by the sponsor. Visa officers will request an updated sponsorship application and IMM 0008; however, there would be no additional fees. Additionally, the lock-in date for age of dependent children does not change. It remains the date on which the complete sponsorship application and associated fees were originally received at CPC-M.
If the spouse or partner is not eligible

If it is determined that the individual identified on the application as the accompanying spouse or common-law partner is not eligible (a step-parent or step-grandparent of the sponsor), officers may consider humanitarian and compassionate factors in assessing the familial relationship between the sponsor and the step-parent, namely, was the step-parent part of the sponsor’s formative years or did the step-parent marry the PA in the past year?
The Bulletin itself has CAIPS/GCMS instructions too.

sukhkaran37

Mar 23, 2015
thank you everyone for all your help and concern our application case is going in new delhi visa office my sister did contact the call center in canada they told her to submit my father's death certificate marriage certificate and a authority letter stating to change the principal applicant to my mother and keep our application in further process we submitted all the documents a month ago and they still have not given us any response

helping canadian

Aug 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sukhkaran37 said:
my condoleonce .......
really feal very bad
now one thing i want to ask is that can u pls tell me when ur file was transffered and as u and did u have any travel history and one thing more when u did first medical and second medical and u have submitted ur passport since 2011 are u sure i mean what the way is this
to keep some one passport for such a long time i think u have some thing in ur case which takes it soooooo longer and which delays it

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sukhkaran37 said:
thank you everyone for all your help and concern our application case is going in new delhi visa office my sister did contact the call center in canada they told her to submit my father's death certificate marriage certificate and a authority letter stating to change the principal applicant to my mother and keep our application in further process we submitted all the documents a month ago and they still have not given us any response
Did you submit it to New Delhi VO or to Mississauga? CPC-M will process e-mails submitted through the link in my post above: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-after.asp so try to re-submit it there. You can also have your sister call the call centre again and see if they updated the information but didn't reply to you (happens too).