+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

De Facto Spouse

kimknight

Jun 19, 2010
I am sending my application soon and i am confused as to whether or not I should include my live-in boyfriend as a de facto spouse. Will the inclusion hurt my chances of getting PR? Please advice!!

mirza897

Apr 4, 2010
If you include him in your application and later on chaneg your mind about him, or about your relationship, it will create an issue. If he is qualified to apply for himself, let him do it on his own. Plus, if he is not qualified, you will have to prove your relationship with him by documenting many facts, such as joint lease, joint account, joint something. If you have all of these, then no problem. But if you do not have these, then you might make your case a little difficult. it also depends on which country you are applying from, In India or the Middle East, De facto relationships are not common and might be viewed with some suspicion.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can not agree with mirza here. If you have been living with your live-in boyfriend for 12 months or more, he is under Canadian law considered to be your common law husband and you must include him in your PR application. It would be considered fraudulent if you didn't. If you have not been living together that long, you can not include him but if you reach 12 months during the processing time, you need to let them know and add him.

The huge amount of proof is more so for sponsorship than when you apply together. If your live-in boyfriend has a good education, he can get you extra points for your application but if he has a criminal background or serious medical problems, he could also get you denied.

kimknight

Jun 19, 2010
Thanks for the responses.

I have lived with my boyfriend for one year and will include him in the application.

Thanks.