+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Day off for wedding

PaoloAlto

Sep 25, 2019
Hello,
I just started working in Montreal on Sep 3.

I will get married at the beginning of October.
My employer said I would not have vacation yet so I can get unpaid off.
(I actually have two "personal days" so I am taking off three days for the wedding, two personal days and one day unpaid).

However, now I have heard that according to Quebec law I do get off as well when I am getting married.
Could somebody confirm this?

Thank you!
Paolo

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You mean that everyone gets a day off on their wedding day? Definitely not the case as per my knowledge. Most Canadian weddings are on the weekend so this issue doesn’t come up that often.Are you able to take the personal days or unpaid leave so soon since you were hired? Are you in a probationary period where these things are not possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I just started working in Montreal on Sep 3.

I will get married at the beginning of October.
My employer said I would not have vacation yet so I can get unpaid off.
(I actually have two "personal days" so I am taking off three days for the wedding, two personal days and one day unpaid).

However, now I have heard that according to Quebec law I do get off as well when I am getting married.
Could somebody confirm this?

Thank you!
Paolo
https://www.cnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/leaves-and-absences/family-events/wedding-or-civil-union/index.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You mean that everyone gets a day off on their wedding day? Definitely not the case as per my knowledge. Most Canadian weddings are on the weekend so this issue doesn’t come up that often.Are you able to take the personal days or unpaid leave so soon since you were hired? Are you in a probationary period where these things are not possible.
This is actually a law in Quebec.

PaoloAlto

Sep 25, 2019
Great, thanks for the link!!

Do you (or anyone else) know by any chance if this could be part already of my two “personal days” or if this is independent of it?

they told us the two “personal days” are going to service Canada, car service, etc etc. I’m also not sure if these two personal days are a nice gift from the company or if they are also required by law ...

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Great, thanks for the link!!

Do you (or anyone else) know by any chance if this could be part already of my two “personal days” or if this is independent of it?

they told us the two “personal days” are going to service Canada, car service, etc etc. I’m also not sure if these two personal days are a nice gift from the company or if they are also required by law ...
Check your companies policy, if the two personal days are separate from the provinces mandated day

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also need to check the policies about if there is an amount of time you must accumulate before being able to use the personal days. You may need to at least complete the probationary period. Your employer is being pretty understanding even offering to approve unpaid leave for a few days within a few weeks of starting a job.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Most likely you`ll have to take unpaid time off for the wedding. Yes, it's upsetting, of course, but that's the law. For example, my husband and I specifically planned our wedding to coincide with our summer vacation, since the wedding itself was held in Ibiza. Btw, if you happen to be there, I suggest https://cixada.co.uk/ibiza-weddings/musicians/ibiza-wedding-dj/. We really liked it! So, I think it would be better. First of all - you won't owe anyone anything. Secondly, you`ll have a relaxing holiday without worrying about breaking the law.
Delete your post and resubmit taking out your spam link, thank you.