+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daughter visa inquiry !

heba159

Nov 8, 2018
Hi experts ,

i'm applying for study permit as international student for 2 years, my daughter 7 years old joining me , what kind of visa i should apply for her, i tried to choose study permit for her as well but we don't have letter of acceptance for her, shall i apply for visit visa ? please note she will stay 2 years,

please advice what is the right visa type ?
Thank you
Heba

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi experts ,

i'm applying for study permit as international student for 2 years, my daughter 7 years old joining me , what kind of visa i should apply for her, i tried to choose study permit for her as well but we don't have letter of acceptance for her, shall i apply for visit visa ? please note she will stay 2 years,

Thank you
Heba
1 She applies for a TRV or ETA, at the Port of Entry request a visitor permit for the same time as your study permit, most provinces don't require a study permit for minors if their parents have a study/work permit

heba159

Nov 8, 2018
I'm doing online application and i'm confused for the visa type for her , see below what shows in the online application , i should choose one of this options ,

Visit- Tourism
Visit- All Other Types
Less than 6 month studies
study more than 6 months
work in a work permit

I need to Take for her study more than 6 months but unfortunately she dont have letter of acceptance , the system requesting automatically letter of acceptance, so shall in this case apply for Visit - All Other types.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm doing online application and i'm confused for the visa type for her , see below what shows in the online application , i should choose one of this options ,

Visit- Tourism
Visit- All Other Types
Less than 6 month studies
study more than 6 months
work in a work permit

I need to Take for her study more than 6 months but unfortunately she dont have letter of acceptance , the system requesting automatically letter of acceptance, so shall in this case apply for Visit - All Other types.
You've been told many times that you need to apply for a TRV not study permit. Choose visit other type.

heba159

Nov 8, 2018
where told many times ? its one time only and i want to make sure TRV will be under Visit- All Other types ... may be this information very easy within your experience , but as i'm new here , that why i ask this question.
if you get bored of my question , let someone else reply , no harm for that .. appreciate your answer and help

Reactions: Maybellyne

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
where told many times ? its one time only and i want to make sure TRV will be under Visit- All Other types ... may be this information very easy within your experience , but as i'm new here , that why i ask this question.
if you get bored of my question , let someone else reply , no harm for that .. appreciate your answer and help
Look above , Canuck replied to you as to the type
You asked the question above, he answered it

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I answered 2 days ago plus I saw that @scylla (or someone else) replied the same thing. Looks like the moderator d letter some of your posts because of multiple same questions.

Reactions: heba159

TracyAT

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
Hi experts ,

please advice what is the right

Iwas in your exact position, when I applied for my daughters accompanying Visa two months ago everyone told me the same thing( apply for a visitor Visa because she doesn't need a study permit) boy where they wrong!!! luckily I'm a planner and I caught it early. After I got our visas approved,me study her visitor, I called her prospective school ( she is 6 years old) to find out what documents she needed to be enrolled and the first thing they

Thank you
Heba
I was in your exact position, when I applied for my daughters accompanying Visa two months ago. Everyone told me the same thing( apply for a visitor Visa because most places doesn't require her to have a permit) Well they were wrong!!! Luckily I'm a planner sonic cought the error early. After I got our visas approved,me study, her visitor, I called her prospective school ( she is 6 years old) to find out what documents she needed to be enrolled and the first thing they told me was that at her age she needed her own SP, since she was going into the first grade (if she was in kindergarten then she wouldn't need it). So I mentioned what I say on the CIC website about her not needing it if we were already in Canada and I had study permit. They told me that when we entered Canada she would be issued a visitor permit,that is usually for 6months so after that she would not have a legal status in Canada. As just like adults on a visitors Visa, you are permitted to stay 6 months at a time so she needed her own long term status to attend school.To apply for her SP she needed a letter of acceptance from that school district which costs CAD$250!!!!! plus $155 for the permit . Had I known this before I would have just applied for a study and not visitors visa and saved myself some money. So I suggest you get in touch with the school district she might be attending school and find out from them what she need to be enrolled.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was in your exact position, when I applied for my daughters accompanying Visa two months ago. Everyone told me the same thing( apply for a visitor Visa because most places doesn't require her to have a permit) Well they were wrong!!! Luckily I'm a planner sonic cought the error early. After I got our visas approved,me study, her visitor, I called her prospective school ( she is 6 years old) to find out what documents she needed to be enrolled and the first thing they told me was that at her age she needed her own SP, since she was going into the first grade (if she was in kindergarten then she wouldn't need it). So I mentioned what I say on the CIC website about her not needing it if we were already in Canada and I had study permit. They told me that when we entered Canada she would be issued a visitor permit,that is usually for 6months so after that she would not have a legal status in Canada. As just like adults on a visitors Visa, you are permitted to stay 6 months at a time so she needed her own long term status to attend school.To apply for her SP she needed a letter of acceptance from that school district which costs CAD$250!!!!! plus $155 for the permit . Had I known this before I would have just applied for a study and not visitors visa and saved myself some money. So I suggest you get in touch with the school district she might be attending school and find out from them what she need to be enrolled.

You’re not quite correct. The school that you contacted was not aware of the federal policy and after asking some more people TRV would have been fine. Many school boards consider themselves sanctuary cities so they don’t even check if you are illegallly in Canada. If your child is studying at a private school I’d consider getting a study visa vs a TRV. Also when you land you can ask to extend child’s visitor status to match you student permit. It is done regularly. Tons of examples of TRVs used for minors of international students and work permit holders throughout the website.

TracyAT

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
You’re not quite correct. The school that you contacted was not aware of the federal policy and after asking some more people TRV would have been fine. Many school boards consider themselves sanctuary cities so they don’t even check if you are illegallly in Canada. If your child is studying at a private school I’d consider getting a study visa vs a TRV. Also when you land you can ask to extend child’s visitor status to match you student permit. It is done regularly. Tons of examples of TRVs used for minors of international students and work permit holders throughout the website.
I can't speak to any of that I can only speak on my experience in NB. I didn't speak to a specific school a spoke with the school district that places international students and that was the requirement given. Again, I can't speak for Canada at large but I can say in NB she needs it to be enrolled in grade1. So still my best advise is to contact the school district and find out what they acturally required and not what we say they should be required.
Letter from the school district below.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting the International Welcome Centre. I can certainly help you with understanding the registration process.

In order to gain acceptance into the ASD-E students must have a study permit. One of the requirements to get a study permit is a Tentative Letter of Acceptance into the school district. In order to produce this letter we would need:
  1. The student’s name (as written in their passport)
  2. The student’s date of birth (day / month / year)
  3. The student’s parent’s full names (as written in their passports)
  4. Their home address
  5. The student’s passport number
  6. The student’s gender: Male or Female
  7. Date of arrival and intended academic year of study
  8. The local custodian’s name and address (if applicable)
This letter is sent to the student’s home address directly from the school district superintendent. A copy will also be sent to the local custodian (if applicable). There is a fee for this letter. Please see text below and here is the link on the school district website for direct payment-- https://angloeast.schoolcashonline.com/Fee/Details/10098/30/False/True

Student Application Fee – International Student Fee-Paying ** The application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE**

An APPLICATION FEE of $250CDN must be paid prior to the issuance of a Tentative Letter of Acceptance. This fee is made payable to the Minister of Finance in Canadian currency online by credit card. The Tentative Letter of Acceptance will be issued once the application fee has been paid.

OR

The application fee of $250CDN can be sent by certified cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance.

The student will then apply for a study permit. After they have received their study permit from the Canadian embassy (here is the link on the IRCC website --http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp

They will then collect the registration requirements below.

Checklist of original documents required for registration

(Any missing documents may delay the registration process)

o 1. Student’s Original Birth Certificate(Shows parent names with certified translation if needed)

o 2. Proof of legal status in Canada (student)

(Please bring the original)

• For new immigrant /worker / student / refugee / diplomat, please bring:
    • Permanent Residence Card(s) and passport(s) or
    • Landing Paper and passport(s) or
    • Work Permit and passport(s)--with parent(s)' employment letter or
    • Study Permit and passport(s)--with parent(s)' program admission letter or
    • Refugee Claimant Paper or
    • Diplomatic Card and passport(s)
  • For Canadian(s), please bring: passport / citizenship card / birth certificate.

o 3. Proof of address (purchase or rental agreement) and local phone number

· Purchase agreement if you have just bought a new home

OR

· Formal rental or lease agreement / recent power, cable or telephone bill

o 4. Proof of immunization (records since birth)

o 5. Proof of medicare or medical insurance (for the duration of studies)

o 6. Previous School Record with certified translation in English if needed

o 7. Any other relevant documentation involving guardianship, custody (form can be found at --https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/custodian-parent.pdf ) , etc.

After the student has arrived in Moncton please call our office to make an appointment at the IWC for registration.

• Registration will take about one hour with a parent/ custodian and the student’s intake assessments (Literacy and Numeracy) will take about the same.
  • After registration and assessments the students are placed in their catchment school based on their place of residence.
  • Students are placed in school at grade level age appropriately. That is to say in the academic year 2019-2020, a student with a date of birth in the year 2003 would be age appropriate for grade 11.

A reminder that the custodianship declaration form must be notarized in Canada and in the student’s home country.

ASD-E reserves the right to place students in another district school should grade level capacity issues arise.

Our school district website is an excellent resource for information and can be found at the following link: http://web1.nbed.nb.ca/sites/ASD-E/Pages/default.aspx

Also our registration document checklist can be found here: http://web1.nbed.nb.ca/sites/ASD-E/eal/Documents/checklist.pdf

There are some FAQ’s on our website: http://web1.nbed.nb.ca/sites/ASD-E/eal/Pages/FAQ.aspx

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can't speak to any of that I can only speak on my experience in NB. I didn't speak to a specific school a spoke with the school district that places international students and that was the requirement given. Again, I can't speak for Canada at large but I can say in NB she needs it to be enrolled in grade1. So still my best advise is to contact the school district and find out what they acturally required and not what we say they should be required.
Letter from the school district below.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting the International Welcome Centre. I can certainly help you with understanding the registration process.

In order to gain acceptance into the ASD-E students must have a study permit. One of the requirements to get a study permit is a Tentative Letter of Acceptance into the school district. In order to produce this letter we would need:
  1. The student’s name (as written in their passport)
  2. The student’s date of birth (day / month / year)
  3. The student’s parent’s full names (as written in their passports)
  4. Their home address
  5. The student’s passport number
  6. The student’s gender: Male or Female
  7. Date of arrival and intended academic year of study
  8. The local custodian’s name and address (if applicable)
This letter is sent to the student’s home address directly from the school district superintendent. A copy will also be sent to the local custodian (if applicable). There is a fee for this letter. Please see text below and here is the link on the school district website for direct payment-- https://angloeast.schoolcashonline.com/Fee/Details/10098/30/False/True

Student Application Fee – International Student Fee-Paying ** The application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE**

An APPLICATION FEE of $250CDN must be paid prior to the issuance of a Tentative Letter of Acceptance. This fee is made payable to the Minister of Finance in Canadian currency online by credit card. The Tentative Letter of Acceptance will be issued once the application fee has been paid.

OR

The application fee of $250CDN can be sent by certified cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance.

The student will then apply for a study permit. After they have received their study permit from the Canadian embassy (here is the link on the IRCC website --http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp

They will then collect the registration requirements below.

Checklist of original documents required for registration

(Any missing documents may delay the registration process)

o 1. Student’s Original Birth Certificate(Shows parent names with certified translation if needed)

o 2. Proof of legal status in Canada (student)

(Please bring the original)

• For new immigrant /worker / student / refugee / diplomat, please bring:
    • Permanent Residence Card(s) and passport(s) or
    • Landing Paper and passport(s) or
    • Work Permit and passport(s)--with parent(s)' employment letter or
    • Study Permit and passport(s)--with parent(s)' program admission letter or
    • Refugee Claimant Paper or
    • Diplomatic Card and passport(s)
  • For Canadian(s), please bring: passport / citizenship card / birth certificate.

o 3. Proof of address (purchase or rental agreement) and local phone number

· Purchase agreement if you have just bought a new home

OR

· Formal rental or lease agreement / recent power, cable or telephone bill

o 4. Proof of immunization (records since birth)

o 5. Proof of medicare or medical insurance (for the duration of studies)

o 6. Previous School Record with certified translation in English if needed

o 7. Any other relevant documentation involving guardianship, custody (form can be found at --https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/custodian-parent.pdf ) , etc.

After the student has arrived in Moncton please call our office to make an appointment at the IWC for registration.

• Registration will take about one hour with a parent/ custodian and the student’s intake assessments (Literacy and Numeracy) will take about the same.
  • After registration and assessments the students are placed in their catchment school based on their place of residence.
  • Students are placed in school at grade level age appropriately. That is to say in the academic year 2019-2020, a student with a date of birth in the year 2003 would be age appropriate for grade 11.

A reminder that the custodianship declaration form must be notarized in Canada and in the student’s home country.

ASD-E reserves the right to place students in another district school should grade level capacity issues arise.

Our school district website is an excellent resource for information and can be found at the following link: http://web1.nbed.nb.ca/sites/ASD-E/Pages/default.aspx

Also our registration document checklist can be found here: http://web1.nbed.nb.ca/sites/ASD-E/eal/Documents/checklist.pdf

There are some FAQ’s on our website: http://web1.nbed.nb.ca/sites/ASD-E/eal/Pages/FAQ.aspx

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You asked about international students. International students come from abroad without their parent or their parents are on visitor status. Your child was a domestic student and so is OP’s daughter. If you’d like to pay the 15k fee you are welcome to but I’m guessing that’s not what you want to do.

TracyAT

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
You asked about international students. International students come from abroad without their parent or their parents are on visitor status. Your child was a domestic student and so is OP’s daughter. If you’d like to pay the 15k fee you are welcome to but I’m guessing that’s not what you want to do.
The 15k doesn't apply to her as she is covered under my SP. However, she still requires her own SP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The 15k doesn't apply to her as she is covered under my SP. However, she still requires her own SP.
She doesn’t need an SP. When you were communicating with the school they thought your child was an international student. Your children aren’t international students. You don’t need SP you need TRV.

Last edited: