+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daughter born with US and Canadian Parents

x5-452

Star Member
May 13, 2010
Hi I will be sponsoring my wife to come to canada and I was wondering if i need to fill out any paperwork for my daughter? I (cdn citizen) am currently here in the US with a work visa, living with my wife (US citizen) and daughter (1 yr old). I will be filing out paperwork for a citizenship certificate for my daughter as she is born with a canadian parent. Is that all that is needed?

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
x5-452 said:
Hi I will be sponsoring my wife to come to canada and I was wondering if i need to fill out any paperwork for my daughter? I (cdn citizen) am currently here in the US with a work visa, living with my wife (US citizen) and daughter (1 yr old). I will be filing out paperwork for a citizenship certificate for my daughter as she is born with a canadian parent. Is that all that is needed?
If you were born or naturalized in Canada, or your daughter was born before April 17, 2009, then she's a Canadian citizen and doesn't need to be sponsored—you can just apply for a citizenship certificate and then use that to get a Canadian passport for her.

x5-452

Star Member
May 13, 2010
Thanks York. Can you clarify though?
I am born canadian and right now working in texas on a work visa but plan on moving back. My daughter was born on April 23, 2009. She would be considered dual citizen correct?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

x5-452 said:
Thanks York. Can you clarify though?
I am born canadian and right now working in texas on a work visa but plan on moving back. My daughter was born on April 23, 2009. She would be considered dual citizen correct?
Yes, first generation born abroad. Though any of her children born abroad, would not be considered Canadians by descent.