+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dates on PR Card

sidewinder

Apr 5, 2021
Hi,

I wanted to clarify a couple of points, in order to better understand my residency requirements.

A. The PR card has 2 dates:
1. 'PR Since' date - I understand this is the date I soft-landed in Canada and that's when my residency started. The date in my case is March 24, 2018. No questions here.​
2. 'Expiry' date - What date is this exactly? In my case, it is October 24, 2023. Guessing this is PR card expiry date, I am not able to understand why October 2023, when my 5 years would end on March 24, 2023.​

B. I soft-landed on March 24, 2018 and returned back to my native country the same day. I moved into Canada exactly 3 years later on March 24, 2021. Based on the question above, I have two scenarios of PR expiry in mind:
a. Assuming my PR expires on March 24, 2023:​
(i) I am worried if I should take any vacations in future in the remaining 2 years?​
(ii) If I take vacations and I am not able to complete my 730 days before this date, should I go for PR renewal only after I have completed my days (let's say in May 2023)?​
(iii) Won't the immigration officials object saying 'You did not complete your days within the given time-frame'?​
(iv) Any penalties or any effect on my citizenship application later on?​
(v) Any CIC links would be highly appreciated.​
b. Assuming my PR card expiry is October 24, 2023:​
I am good in this case. This allows me a good buffer of vacations. No questions here.​

PS: New member, first question. I would like to say I really appreciate this forum and members' responses. I followed this forum for my Canada immigration purposes, and now that I am done with my process, I would like to contribute to this forum in form of questions and as comments to threads I have knowledge of.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I wanted to clarify a couple of points, in order to better understand my residency requirements.

1. 'PR Since' date - I understand this is the date I soft-landed in Canada and that's when my residency started. The date in my case is March 24, 2018. No questions here.​
2. 'Expiry' date - What date is this exactly? In my case, it is October 24, 2023. Guessing this is PR card expiry date, I am not able to understand why October 2023, when my 5 years would end on March 24, 2023.​

B. I soft-landed on March 24, 2018 and returned back to my native country the same day. I moved into Canada exactly 3 years later on March 24, 2021. Based on the question above, I have two scenarios of PR expiry in mind:
(i) I am worried if I should take any vacations in future in the remaining 2 years?​
(ii) If I take vacations and I am not able to complete my 730 days before this date, should I go for PR renewal only after I have completed my days (let's say in May 2023)?​
(iii) Won't the immigration officials object saying 'You did not complete your days within the given time-frame'?​
I am good in this case. This allows me a good buffer of vacations. No questions here.​

PS: New member, first question. I would like to say I really appreciate this forum and members' responses. I followed this forum for my Canada immigration purposes, and now that I am done with my process, I would like to contribute to this forum in form of questions and as comments to threads I have knowledge of.

Thanks!
The residency requirement is calculated starting from your landing date and is a rolling 5 year requirement from that point going forward. If you returned to Canada 3 years after landing, then you have zero buffer days to spend outside of Canada within the first five years and should remain in Canada for the next 2 years straight to meet the residency requirement. This is the safest way to play it if you want to guarantee you will have no issues with your PR status. If you decide to take a vacation outside of Canada, then you must wait until you meet the residency requirement before you apply to renew your PR card. If you apply to renew your PR card without meeting RO, this can result in your PR status being revoked.

The PR card is a travel document. The residency obligation is not tied to your PR card dates. At any given time after you become a PR, you must have lived in Canada for 2 out of the previous 5 years to meet the residency requirement (regardless of the dates on your PR card). This is why it is referring to as a "rolling" residency requirement.

Star Member
Jul 8, 2017
@scylla - In PR card renewal do you recommend attached ROE/Pay Stubs and tickets/boarding passes as additional proof for residency?

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla - In PR card renewal do you recommend attached ROE/Pay Stubs and tickets/boarding passes as additional proof for residency?

Thanks.
Only include what the application asks for.

sidewinder

Apr 5, 2021
The residency requirement is calculated starting from your landing date and is a rolling 5 year requirement from that point going forward. If you returned to Canada 3 years after landing, then you have zero buffer days to spend outside of Canada within the first five years and should remain in Canada for the next 2 years straight to meet the residency requirement. This is the safest way to play it if you want to guarantee you will have no issues with your PR status. If you decide to take a vacation outside of Canada, then you must wait until you meet the residency requirement before you apply to renew your PR card. If you apply to renew your PR card without meeting RO, this can result in your PR status being revoked.

The PR card is a travel document. The residency obligation is not tied to your PR card dates. At any given time after you become a PR, you must have lived in Canada for 2 out of the previous 5 years to meet the residency requirement (regardless of the dates on your PR card). This is why it is referring to as a "rolling" residency requirement.
Makes sense. Thanks for the detailed response, @scylla !

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Hi,

Thanks!
Hi,

I have the same situation as your question # A. Do you have an answer of it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I have the same situation as your question # A. Do you have an answer of it?
The answers were provided above.

The dates on your PR card are irrelevant. The 5 year residency requirement starts from the day you landed and became a PR.

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Sorry, my question was should i consider the expiry date on the PR card inorder for me to apply before 9months for renewal or should i consider 5 years from the time i landed? the expiry date on PR card has one month and few days extra(not sure why)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry, my question was should i consider the expiry date on the PR card inorder for me to apply before 9months for renewal or should i consider 5 years from the time i landed? the expiry date on PR card has one month and few days extra(not sure why)
Expiry date on your PR card. Not your landing date.