greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question 6b on the IMM1344 form asks for the date we entered into the common-law relationship.
Is that the date we decided to live togehter and moved into the same apartment? Or the date on which we had been living together for a year?
In my case, we moved in together on Oct. 2, 2009. So the date they want here is Oct. 2, 2009 or Oct. 2, 2010?

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
how did you figure that out? is there some information on this somewhere?

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:

you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for all your answers Ked ^^
I know what a common-law relation is, and that I'm currently in one. I'm just not sure when, according to CIC, it started. Did the relationship start when we started living together or after we've been living together for 12 consecutive months?

stressmess

May 5, 2011
Glasgow
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
16-05-2011
I spoke to the call centre about this! it's the date you moved in together UNLESS you were not in a conjugal before you moved in (you were just roommates, then entered into a relationship). I know the guide says not the date you moved in but apparently its for the situation where people were not dating before they moved in. make sense? I know it's confusing. ??? :(

Reactions: qingyunlan

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The answer i gave you was from their website CIC's so date you started living together so date u moved in together

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for the help people!
stressmess, assuming we were just roommates and entered into a relationship later, what would the date be that we put down? The date that we entered a relationship? So basically CIC wants to know the earliest date of when we were in a relationship AND living under the same roof?

stressmess

May 5, 2011
Glasgow
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
16-05-2011
yes, that's what I understood from talking to the call centre. Although I've read that sometimes you can get different answers from different people, no one is perfect I suppose! But she spoke to a supervisor just to double check the whole thing.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It is definitely the date you moved in together, if you were in a relationship. If you moved in as roommates, and then fell in love, then pick a reasonable date - it wouldn't be the date you moved in together, but maybe the date you both decided to be in an exclusive relationship.
The "12 months of living together" is a rule for when a common-law partner can apply for a PR visa based on his/her common-law relationship. It is not the general definition of what a common-law relationship is. Other government departments, and other countries, use different definitions.

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a bunch stressmess and canadianwoman, very helpful input! My situation is not a simple one but I know how to handle it now! Thanks

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
This forum is brilliant! I was also wondering what date it was that they were asking in this...Now I know :)