+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date X first became qualified to practice in this occupation (Teaching)

Auroravictor

Mar 24, 2018
I was filling my PR profile when I came upon a question which i am not sure if i am answering correctly.
My NOC is secondary school teacher. They ask when I got qualified according to my NOC. This is tricky cos the NOC requires Bachelor of Education which I didn't obtain. I worked as a computer science high school teacher right after I graduated from computer science in 2010 (since that is sufficient in independent schools in my country). I then finished MA in education in 2013. So what should i enter as the date of qualification? will they count my work experience from 2010-2014 as a teacher if I didn’t have a bachelor’s of education then?
Below is the exact question from my profile and the employment requirements from my NOC.
Thanks.

Date X first became qualified to practice in this occupation

If the "primary occupation" is:
  • a qualified trade (four-digit code begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92), this is the date they became qualified to practice on their own in Canada. (For example, when they moved from apprentice to being a licensed tradesperson.)
  • any other job, this is the date they first obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)

NOC 4031
Employment requirements
  • Teachers of academic subjects require a bachelor's degree in education which is often preceded by a bachelor's degree in the arts or sciences.
  • Teachers of vocational or technical subjects require a bachelor's degree in education which is usually preceded by specialized training or experience in the subject.
  • Instructors of trades in Quebec require completion of an apprenticeship training program and industry or trade certification.
  • Department heads usually require several years of teaching experience.
  • To specialize in special education or English or French as a second language, additional training is required.
  • A provincial teaching certificate is required.
  • Membership in a provincial or territorial teachers' association or federation may be required.

Reactions: Khatrao

Auroravictor

Mar 24, 2018
Thanks. Even if my primary occupation doesn't start with The four digit codes below? As according to the info below it seems that I need to say when I first "obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description." Or am I mistaken?
Thanks a lot.
  • a qualified trade (four-digit code begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92), this is the date they became qualified to practice on their own in Canada. (For example, when they moved from apprentice to being a licensed tradesperson.)
  • any other job, this is the date they first obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your NOC is not of a trade (electrician, mechanic, plumber, carpenter, etc). Also, regarding the "employment requirements" that you are concerned about.

"Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

Reactions: Auroravictor

mt103plus

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar query -

My degree and work ex match - I understand I need to put the date mentioned on my degree certificate in my EE profile, since the work ex succeeds a relevant degree. Or it wouldn't matter if I put start date of my employment as answer to this question?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar query -

My degree and work ex match - I understand I need to put the date mentioned on my degree certificate in my EE profile, since the work ex succeeds a relevant degree. Or it wouldn't matter if I put start date of my employment as answer to this question?
Both approaches are fine.

Reactions: mt103plus

Auroravictor

Mar 24, 2018
Your NOC is not of a trade (electrician, mechanic, plumber, carpenter, etc). Also, regarding the "employment requirements" that you are concerned about.

"Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html
Thanks! thats quite helpful!!

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
The date when you started working.
Hi DelPiero07,

I had started working even before completion of my Master's degree for NOC code 2174. While filling in the application, I have mentioned my start date of employment as March, 2016. I had graduated in Dec, 2015. But, I had actually started working in March,2015. The Experience letter from my Employer would also state as March, 2015. Is this going to be a problem? Will they consider my experience from March, 15 to Dec, 15 as apprenticeship and then consider the later part as actual exp. Please advise.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi DelPiero07,

I had started working even before completion of my Master's degree for NOC code 2174. While filling in the application, I have mentioned my start date of employment as March, 2016. I had graduated in Dec, 2015. But, I had actually started working in March,2015. The Experience letter from my Employer would also state as March, 2015. Is this going to be a problem? Will they consider my experience from March, 15 to Dec, 15 as apprenticeship and then consider the later part as actual exp. Please advise.
I don't know why you mentioned your start date March 2016 but whatever the case is you can write a LOE regarding exactly what you were thinking when filling your application.

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
I don't know why you mentioned your start date March 2016 but whatever the case is you can write a LOE regarding exactly what you were thinking when filling your application.
My Bachelor's was in Electrical Engineering and there was only 1 subject which I had enrolled related to Software Engineering. The Education Qualification for my NOC code states that for a Bachelors degree significant amount of learning is needed. I did my Masters in Computer Engineering and it had significant courses related to Software. Hence, I entered my date of graduation as the eligibility date to start working as a Software Developer. I see that my points have gone down from 475 to 450 due to the experience being cut down from 3 years to 2 years. Will the LOE be enough to explain my intention of filling the profile that way or they will reject it saying that NOC code requirement clearly mentions that a Masters degree is usually preferred.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My Bachelor's was in Electrical Engineering and there was only 1 subject which I had enrolled related to Software Engineering. The Education Qualification for my NOC code states that for a Bachelors degree significant amount of learning is needed. I did my Masters in Computer Engineering and it had significant courses related to Software. Hence, I entered my date of graduation as the eligibility date to start working as a Software Developer. I see that my points have gone down from 475 to 450 due to the experience being cut down from 3 years to 2 years. Will the LOE be enough to explain my intention of filling the profile that way or they will reject it saying that NOC code requirement clearly mentions that a Masters degree is usually preferred.
The employment requirements are irrelevant. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

Khatrao

Jul 31, 2018
SO b
I was filling my PR profile when I came upon a question which i am not sure if i am answering correctly.
My NOC is secondary school teacher. They ask when I got qualified according to my NOC. This is tricky cos the NOC requires Bachelor of Education which I didn't obtain. I worked as a computer science high school teacher right after I graduated from computer science in 2010 (since that is sufficient in independent schools in my country). I then finished MA in education in 2013. So what should i enter as the date of qualification? will they count my work experience from 2010-2014 as a teacher if I didn’t have a bachelor’s of education then?
Below is the exact question from my profile and the employment requirements from my NOC.
Thanks.

Date X first became qualified to practice in this occupation

If the "primary occupation" is:

NOC 4031
Employment requirements
  • Teachers of academic subjects require a bachelor's degree in education which is often preceded by a bachelor's degree in the arts or sciences.
  • Teachers of vocational or technical subjects require a bachelor's degree in education which is usually preceded by specialized training or experience in the subject.
  • Instructors of trades in Quebec require completion of an apprenticeship training program and industry or trade certification.
  • Department heads usually require several years of teaching experience.
  • To specialize in special education or English or French as a second language, additional training is required.
  • A provincial teaching certificate is required.
  • Membership in a provincial or territorial teachers' association or federation may be required.
so B.ed is not mandatory to get PR under EE for Secondary school teacher????? Please do reply. I will be very thankful