+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date the applicant first became qualified to practice this occupation?

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
Hi guys, I have doubt regarding the question in express entry profile 'Date the applicant first became qualified to practice this occupation". My job is actuary related (NOC 2161), and the minimum education requirement is post-secondary. However, I continued to study in the PHD program after college and chose to become an actuary after that. In this case, should I put my college graduation date 2008 here, or 2014 when I started the job?

I have put my college graduation date 2008 there, but wondering if I need to later explain why I didn't start the job until 6 years later...

Thank you!

mike2236

Nov 28, 2017
Hi guys, I have doubt regarding the question in express entry profile 'Date the applicant first became qualified to practice this occupation". My job is actuary related (NOC 2161), and the minimum education requirement is post-secondary. However, I continued to study in the PHD program after college and chose to become an actuary after that. In this case, should I put my college graduation date 2008 here, or 2014 when I started the job?

I have put my college graduation date 2008 there, but wondering if I need to later explain why I didn't start the job until 6 years later...

Thank you!
That question is giving you an idea of which experience you can count. Let's say your experience you are claiming is 4 yours. That experience require a graduate degree. However, you got the job with the required graduate degree. You completed your graduate degree one year after you started working. In this scenario you would not be able to claim 4 years experience but only 3 years because of the date you became qualified to do the job.

This is my opinion so I'll let other chime in.

Reactions: mqc1986

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
That question is giving you an idea of which experience you can count. Let's say your experience you are claiming is 4 yours. That experience require a graduate degree. However, you got the job with the required graduate degree. You completed your graduate degree one year after you started working. In this scenario you would not be able to claim 4 years experience but only 3 years because of the date you became qualified to do the job.

This is my opinion so I'll let other chime in.
Thank you for clarifying. I’m not really sure about the intention of this question. Based on your interpretation, I have qualified for this job for over 8 years, and I claimed 3 years related working experience, so it means it’s fine if I put 2008 in here? Thanks!