+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date entered into Common-law relationship

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are currently working on the IM1334 application form for Common-law partner sponsorship. I am stuck in the question where I need to provide the date we entered into the Common-law relationship.

Below is our scenario:
- We have been living together since February 2018 (we have no solid evidence of this. We used to split only some costs by making bank transfers between our personal bank accounts)
- We have created a joint bank account together in March 2019 (we have proof of this)

I have researched on the IRCC website but I'm a bit confused. All the below extracts were taken from official IRCC website.
  • "A common-law relationship exists from the day on which two individuals can provide evidence to support their cohabitation in a conjugal relationship"
    • In our case, this would be March 2019.
  • "a common-law partnership means that a couple have lived together for at least one year in a conjugal relationship"
    • In our case, this would be February 2019.
  • "Two people who are cohabiting have combined their affairs and set up their household together in one dwelling. To be considered common-law partners, they must have cohabited for at least one year "
    • In our case, this would be March 2020 because this is one year from when we have actually combined affairs (joint bank account).
Based on the above definitions, dates turn out to be different in each so we'd like to understand which is the right one (or perhaps none of the above?). I'm sure we're missing something basic here but any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are currently working on the IM1334 application form for Common-law partner sponsorship. I am stuck in the question where I need to provide the date we entered into the Common-law relationship.

Below is our scenario:
- We have been living together since February 2018 (we have no solid evidence of this. We used to split only some costs by making bank transfers between our personal bank accounts)
- We have created a joint bank account together in March 2019 (we have proof of this)

I have researched on the IRCC website but I'm a bit confused. All the below extracts were taken from official IRCC website.
  • "A common-law relationship exists from the day on which two individuals can provide evidence to support their cohabitation in a conjugal relationship"
    • In our case, this would be March 2019.
  • "a common-law partnership means that a couple have lived together for at least one year in a conjugal relationship"
    • In our case, this would be February 2019.
  • "Two people who are cohabiting have combined their affairs and set up their household together in one dwelling. To be considered common-law partners, they must have cohabited for at least one year "
    • In our case, this would be March 2020 because this is one year from when we have actually combined affairs (joint bank account).
Based on the above definitions, dates turn out to be different in each so we'd like to understand which is the right one (or perhaps none of the above?). I'm sure we're missing something basic here but any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Do you have more evidence than the joint account? A lease in both your names? Utility or phone bills with one of your names, dates throughout your common law period and address? You need multiple pieces of evidence.

Gritten

Mar 28, 2017
Use the exact date that you became common-law. So 1 year from the date you moved in together. The Feb 2019 date.
If you've been living together since Feb 2018, became common-law in Feb 2019 and are still working on your application here in November 2020, you should by now have more than enough documentation to submit with your application to prove that you've been living together for 1+ years prior to submitting the application.

My partner moved here On December 28, 2017. We were common-law by December 28, 2018 (This is the date we submitted). We didn't get a bank account together until around March or May. Submitted our application on Jan 2020 with those details. Get your landlord to write up a letter stating your partner has been living at the address since the first day you moved in. Get friends and family to write letters backing your relationship clearly stating the date you guys moved in. Then provide all the additional documentation (mail, bank accounts, bills, transfers between accounts etc) from the first date you have until now.

Reactions: undisclosed

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
Do you have more evidence than the joint account? A lease in both your names? Utility or phone bills with one of your names, dates throughout your common law period and address? You need multiple pieces of evidence.
Utility bills are not in both of our names but we have evidence showing that payments for these bills are being paid from our joint account.

The evidence we have is the below:
  1. Joint bank account opened March 2019
    1. Including an account statement showing we pay for utility bills, Netflix subscribtions, groceries, furniture etc. from this account.
  2. Both our ID cards have the same address on them.
  3. Both our bank statements are sent to the same address.
Do you think this will be sufficient?

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
Use the exact date that you became common-law. So 1 year from the date you moved in together. The Feb 2019 date.
If you've been living together since Feb 2018, became common-law in Feb 2019 and are still working on your application here in November 2020, you should by now have more than enough documentation to submit with your application to prove that you've been living together for 1+ years prior to submitting the application.

My partner moved here On December 28, 2017. We were common-law by December 28, 2018 (This is the date we submitted). We didn't get a bank account together until around March or May. Submitted our application on Jan 2020 with those details. Get your landlord to write up a letter stating your partner has been living at the address since the first day you moved in. Get friends and family to write letters backing your relationship clearly stating the date you guys moved in. Then provide all the additional documentation (mail, bank accounts, bills, transfers between accounts etc) from the first date you have until now.
Thanks. That was really helpful.

We will not be able to get a letter from landlord in our case but what we do have is the following:

1. Including an account statement showing we pay for utility bills, Netflix subscribtions, groceries, furniture etc. from this account (showing dates older than 1 year).
  3. Both our bank statements are sent to the same address
  4. Letters from friends and family showing dates when we moved in together
  5. Email correspondence between residents of the appartment block (both of us incuded in email thread)
Do you think this would be sufficient?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Utility bills are not in both of our names but we have evidence showing that payments for these bills are being paid from our joint account.

The evidence we have is the below:
    1. Including an account statement showing we pay for utility bills, Netflix subscribtions, groceries, furniture etc. from this account.
  3. Both our bank statements are sent to the same address.
Do you think this will be sufficient?
No you need letter, bills, etc. with both or either of your names on it starting from the day you started your 1 yr cohabitation started and throughout the 1 yr period. The best proofs will have the date, your name(s) and your address.

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
No you need letter, bills, etc. with both or either of your names on it starting from the day you started your 1 yr cohabitation started and throughout the 1 yr period. The best proofs will have the date, your name(s) and your address.
Thanks for getting back.

If by letters you mean letters from friends and family highlighting date we moved in together then yes, we have such letters.

We can provide bills having one of our names. I guess we weren't going to include since they only include one of our names. We felt that this doesn't say much about us living together and what's important is that they were actually paid by both of us (demonstrated from joint account statement). Could you perhaps elaborate on why this is important as proof?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for getting back.

If by letters you mean letters from friends and family highlighting date we moved in together then yes, we have such letters.

We can provide bills having one of our names. I guess we weren't going to include since they only include one of our names. We felt that this doesn't say much about us living together and what's important is that they were actually paid by both of us (demonstrated from joint account statement). Could you perhaps elaborate on why this is important as proof?
No formal mail not letter from family. Joint account is not enough. Doesn't really prove you are living together. Even if you have a variety of proof with only one name, the date and your address that is fine as long as you have a variety of proof from various months covering the 1 year. Proof needs to cover 1 year.

Reactions: Qwertypod

Gritten

Mar 28, 2017
We will not be able to get a letter from landlord in our case but what we do have is the following:
I'm curious, why would you not be able to get a letter from your landlord? We rent from a company that owns many apartments across the GTA. The super in the building has changed about half a dozen times in the past 3 years. They really have no idea who we are. I've lived here for about 10 years myself (a lease for the first year and just month-to-month since). They really don't know who I am, nor my partner. She was living with us for almost two years and I sent them a request to their main office asking for a letter stating my partners name had moved in and lived here since her move in date. A week later, I got the letter on the company letter head stating the exact details I needed.

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
I'm curious, why would you not be able to get a letter from your landlord? We rent from a company that owns many apartments across the GTA. The super in the building has changed about half a dozen times in the past 3 years. They really have no idea who we are. I've lived here for about 10 years myself (a lease for the first year and just month-to-month since). They really don't know who I am, nor my partner. She was living with us for almost two years and I sent them a request to their main office asking for a letter stating my partners name had moved in and lived here since her move in date. A week later, I got the letter on the company letter head stating the exact details I needed.
My partner owns the apartment. We have a few email threads with both myself and my partner included in communications with other residents in the block discussing renovations and condominium issues, was going to include those as proof as well.

In addition to the proof I mentioned in previous thread, I am also thinking of including receipts of furniture, mattress and a TV we bought together (receipts are on one of our names but to our address).

Do you think that would be enough?

Gritten

Mar 28, 2017
My partner owns the apartment. We have a few email threads with both myself and my partner included in communications with other residents in the block discussing renovations and condominium issues, was going to include those as proof as well.

In addition to the proof I mentioned in previous thread, I am also thinking of including receipts of furniture, mattress and a TV we bought together (receipts are on one of our names but to our address).

Do you think that would be enough?
I'm sure it should be. We just reached Decision Made yesterday. Hoping it's a good Decision made and not a bad one. We didn't have a ton of documentation. I was lucky to get the letter from our landlord. Then as mentioned earlier we had a bunch of friends and family and my coworkers do letters to prove our relationship and confirm the dates for us. That with pictures of us at our home spamming our relationship, a couple of bills, the bank account, paypal transactions and such I think it was good. We haven't received any requests for further proof yet, so you should be okay