+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date became protected person for physical presence calculator for citizenship application

hb8895

May 9, 2022
Hi good people,

I received the notice of decision a month after my refugee claim hearing. I don’t remember the exact date when I found the notice of decision in my mailbox.

I am going to apply for citizenship soon. At the physical presence calculator I need to mention the date when I became protected person. I found three different dates on my notice of decision:
  1. Date of hearing
  2. Date of decision and reason
  3. A date when the case officer signed the notice of decision
Among these three dates which one is the date to be mentioned at the physical presence calculator as the date I became protected person?

Your information is highly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you. Thanking you!

aaldush

May 1, 2023
Hi,
I have the same situation, which date I have to consider since I have received a positive decision from the judge during my hearing. However, the decision-made letter was sent after a month or so. Please advise

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The date on the NOD is the always the date where you are considered to have become a protected person. For example you may have been approved at the hearing verbally but what counts is the date specified in the written NOD.

aaldush

May 1, 2023
The claims were heard on April 3, 2019.

The Refugee Protection Division determines that the claimants are Convention refugees and therefore accepts the claims.

The reasons for the decision are attached.

April 17, 2019

Reactions: altdiem

altdiem

Jul 26, 2023

The Refugee Protection Division determines that the claimants are Convention refugees and therefore accepts the claims.

April 17, 2019

Yes, same thing. Accepted at the hearing and the letter does not explicitly say the decision has been made on the same day, and there is a date at the end of the letter, assuming the date when it was sent.

Not sure which is which.

Tamiou

Feb 5, 2021
Yes, same thing. Accepted at the hearing and the letter does not explicitly say the decision has been made on the same day, and there is a date at the end of the letter, assuming the date when it was sent.

Not sure which is which.
Along with your NOD you have an explanation of the reasons for this decision,look at the first page.
It is written Date of decision.

canada449

Jun 30, 2023

April 17, 2019
My lawyer advised me to put the issue date of Notice of Decision, not the hearing date. In that case, it is April 17, 2019 for you.

Reactions: canuck78

canada449

Jun 30, 2023
Date of decision works fine for me

I think you applied when you had 1100 days of presence in Canada according to your signature. How many days difference do you have between hearing date and date of the notice of decision? If it is more than 5 days, it proves that date of the hearing is the protected person approval date.

Tamiou

Feb 5, 2021
I think you applied when you had 1100 days of presence in Canada according to your signature. How many days difference do you have between hearing date and date of the notice of decision? If it is more than 5 days, it proves that date of the hearing is the protected person approval date.
Why do you want to take the hearing date when along with your NOD you have an explanation of the reasons for this decision where it is written DATE OF DECISION : mm/dd/yyyy ?

canada449

Jun 30, 2023
Why do you want to take the hearing date when along with your NOD you have an explanation of the reasons for this decision where it is written DATE OF DECISION : mm/dd/yyyy ?
First Page:

The claim was heard on November 2, 2019.

The Refugee Protection Division determines that the claimant is a Convention refugee and therefore accepts the claim.

December 19, 2019

Second page states that where the hearing was held and name of the judge, me and my lawyer. Also there is a date which is November 2, 2019

On last page December 12, 2019 is written under the transcriptionist's signature which I believe it is when transcriptionist wrote the reasons of decision.

Tamiou

Feb 5, 2021
First Page:

The claim was heard on November 2, 2019.

The Refugee Protection Division determines that the claimant is a Convention refugee and therefore accepts the claim.

December 19, 2019

Second page states that where the hearing was held and name of the judge, me and my lawyer. Also there is a date which is November 2, 2019

On last page December 12, 2019 is written under the transcriptionist's signature which I believe it is when transcriptionist wrote the reasons of decision.
Ok. In mine there is a decision date. Which date you see in the signature date? Mine is the same as the decision date.