+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Damascus time line

boujasim

Nov 12, 2008
hello let this be a thread for all ppl applying thru damascus visa office,share your time timeline and any other info or experince.

Applicationn sent to MCP-C : OCT 17-2008
sponsorship approved: NOV 17-2008
recived AOR: 25 Nov

and thats all so far, ill update it when anything comes up.

azadi

Feb 19, 2008
Hi everyone,

This morning at work I tried checking into my husband's email (yes, i have his password :p). I didn't expect to see anything since I checked at 7:30am Toronto time. But, lo and behold, he had received an email from the Embassy requesting his passport, 2 photos, his Iraqi nationality certificate & identity card!!! I'm still in shock.

This wasn't a total surprise since I knew the file was at its final stages of processing and we were expecting it any day but until u see it in writing, it feels surreal. I printed out the email and I stare at it now and then just to go over what it says.

It seems that he can only drop off his documents b/n Sunday - Tuesday and paspport pickups are on Wednesday.

I'm super happy and I hope everyone who is still waiting will hear good news soon.

My timelime is as follows:

Application sent to Mississauga: February 14, 2008
Damascus starts processing: March 16, 2008
Interview for husband: March 29, 2009
Passport Request: June 9, 2009

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Azadi....I am really happy for you, that means you husband is approved, right?...yes, the first good news this week.
Boujasim, I am not going to post my timeline so more people will feel sorry for me...:)) I will post it when I am approved...hopefuly soon..

azadi

Feb 19, 2008
thanks rorita,

i hope you will be next. By the way, do you remember Tram1984? her first application to damascus was refused, she went to ADR, lost and then re-applied again to Damascus after she had a baby? Well her second application was initiated around the same time as my husbands (March 2008) and her husband received an email requesting his passport yesterday. So, it really does seem to be a blessed week. There's still two more days left b4 the end of the week :)

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Yes I guess I read about Tram1984, that is another good news...so it is a blessed week, more people are approved give the rest of us hope and faith...
So when they ask for the passport and 2 photos, that means that is it, he is approved, nothing else to do, right. Because I read in some embassy, I guess New deli or something like that, they ask for the passport very early, some people were nagging about that the embassy has been keeping their passport for more than 4 month. But I guess that isn’t the case in Damascus, right?

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Ooooouppsss...Azadi this is an old thread..:))) anyway we made it alive again..

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Congratulations Azadi!!! I'm really happy for you...
Rorita and boujasim I hope we are next in line including my husband. I should perhaps check his hotmail or mine to see if we had received the same. Never know!!!! It could be a could news after the election week.
BTW Rorita I sent my husband 1000 of additional proof in case he is asked for an interview. Also I had prepared 73 possible questions and answers for him to study!! God bless his heart, I'm sure he is going to go through a nervous breakdown when he receives the package that I sent with my cousin who is leaving on the 20th. No wonder why I couldn't respond :0) but I'm back with a much happier mood :0)

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Marlena...long time no see you here...but after reading your post, I know why
Your post made me laught and remember my husband nervous breakdown when I used to send him ,lets say on a daily basic at least 10 to 15 question for over 3 weeks...Oh my God, what a very ugly time was that on both of us...I even asked him questions about his past life that he has forgotten...:))
But it was a good idea that made me sure and relief if an interview come up..thank God it didn't.
I hope at least you include a special gift in the package to be able to take the shock..:)
I hope he won't go into an interview and he will be accepted soon...

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
A gift of course. Let say something he won't forget :0). No seriously my cousin asked me what on earth did I put in the package. I had sent all emails and all chat logs and a lot of other proof that he didn't take with him when he left.

boujasim

Nov 12, 2008
hola azadi!
iam happy for u
i have a question
does it say in ur husbands letter somthing like:" we are in the final stages of processing ur application"???

and did they mention the "expected visa expiry date"? and the ugly sentence of "please note this is not a qurantee a visa will be issue"??

azadi

Feb 19, 2008
Hola boujasim :) como stas? :p You've totally been MIA the last few months. I didn't even know you had an interview!!! Hope it went well. Heck maybe you're in Canada already :)

You guessed it ... the ugly sentence is in there. Here is the body of the letter (see below). So, I asked my husband to go the Embassy today and see if they'd accept his documents earlier and he obliged me. He said the guards were rude to him and told him to come back on Sunday. I don't understand the rationale since if the documents were couriered they could presumably arrive at the Embassy any day of the week. Would they tell the courier service to come back on days they accept passports & other documents? Why can't they just accept the documents? Would it burn a hole in their desks or cubbies? Anyway, my philosophy teacher told me in high school not to ask any question starting with a "Why..." so that's that.

It says in the letter the guards would tell him when he could pick up his documents. I'm assuming if he drops them off on Sunday they will tell him he can pick up next Wednesday (June 17th). But, if the visa isn't a guarantee then how can they tell him with any certainty as to when he can pick up his passport? I don't know.

Rorita, generally, I haven't seen Damascus to keep passports for a long time. And they generally don't refuse people once they ask for the passport, but nothing is a certainty until the visa is affixed on the passport ;)

Here's the Letter:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. We are now in the final stages of processing and request that you send ORIGINAL valid passport, Identity Card and Nationality Certificate for yourself to our office in Damascus, Syria. Please note, this does not guarantee that a visa will be issued.

Your documents MUST be received at our Embassy in Damascus no later than 30 days from the date of this letter. You are strongly encouraged to send your documents via courier to avoid wait times at the Embassy.

EXPECTED VISA EXPIRY DATE: 29-12-2009

SUBMIT YOUR DOCUMENTS VIA COURIER:

Please send your documents via commercial courier to:

Visa Section
Canadian Embassy
Autostrade Mezze
Lot 12, Near Alrazi Hospital
Damascus, Syria
(963-11) 611-6692

Please enclose the following:
- Original passport, Identity Card and Nationality Certificate for yourself.
- 2 recent photos (35 mm x 45 mm, white background) for yourself .
- If you prefer to send and receive your passport by courier it is your responsibility to make the appropriate arrangements with the company of your choice. The Embassy of Canada neither requires nor recommends that you use any particular courier, we have no special arrangements with any courier company.

SUBMIT DOCUMENTS IN PERSON IN DAMASCUS:
Alternatively, you can approach the Canadian Embassy in Damascus with valid passport, Identity card, Nationality Certificate and two recent photos (35 mm X 45 mm, white background) for yourself.

Documents may be submitted Sunday to Tuesday from 9:30 am to 10:30 am. You will NOT be able to collect your Documents/Visa the same day. Passports/Visas can only be collected on Wednesdays at 2:30 pm. When you submit your documents, you will be informed of the return date and time.

Please present this email to the guards when you arrive. If you arrive late, you will be required to wait in the queue to submit your documents.

**NOTE: You can authorise a third person to collect your visa(s). The authorised person must present a letter of consent (see below) and identification.

birdwings25

Mar 1, 2009
Re: Beirut time line

Hi All,

Since I guess I am the first to have an application processed in Beirut, I thought of inquiring/adding my timelines here.

Applicationn sent to MCP-C : May 11, 2009
sponsorship approved: June 10, 2009
recived AOR: ???

Any 'fair guess' on when would an AOR be received?

Thanks.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Hey birdwings25,
First congrats on the sponsorship, second I am surprised because from what I have understand, Beirut office won't accept application for immigration, as I have understand they will take care of inquiry, stamping passport, interview...
So let me ask you this, how did you know that it will be proceed in beirut and not damscus, did you ask for it or how? Because I am realy surprised...
Anyway good luck, hope you receive the AOR soon and keep us updated with your news.

birdwings25

Mar 1, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I have inquired about the Beirut visa office deal on this forum earlier.

What happened is that shortly after I sent in my wife's application, I learned about the new rule (i.e. Beirut office processing immigration applications, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/beirut-faqs.asp), so I followed up with a fax, requesting the change from Damascus to Beirut, and it worked out fine. The written response I received specifies the Beirut office, and provides its address in Jaal Deeb.

My 'personal impression' however, is that a lot of the processing of the application (not just mine) will still be done in Damascus's office, since its the main one, and the Beirut office is more of the front end, interacting with the client, checking things out.

Time will tell.