+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute - US Citizen (not H1B) to Canada - PR

geektech40

Sep 19, 2018
Hello friends

I am a us citizen working in WI / IL and am interested in applying Canadian PR, and keep US Job and do border crossing maybe not daily but enough to maintain PR and apply for citizenship? Is this possible at all?

having seen some H1B holders maintain Canadian PR by working across the border, does this mean its possible?

What about if you are a US citizen, are there any such folks who have done this here?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello friends

I am a us citizen working in WI / IL and am interested in applying Canadian PR, and keep US Job and do border crossing maybe not daily but enough to maintain PR and apply for citizenship? Is this possible at all?

having seen some H1B holders maintain Canadian PR by working across the border, does this mean its possible?

What about if you are a US citizen, are there any such folks who have done this here?
Yes, it is possible.

Yes, this forum has had numerous participants who have done something similar to this. With mixed results.

This tends to be significantly more difficult in practice than it appears on-the-monitor (on-paper), so to say.

And of course it overtly entails gaming-the-system some, since the purpose for which Canada grants PR is so the individual can move to and settle PERMANENTLY in Canada.

So long as there are NO misrepresentations made, there are no explicit rules directly prohibiting such gaming-the-system, BUT BEWARE doing or or even appearing to do so tends to invite issues and increase risks related to how strictly or skeptically CBSA or IRCC enforces the rules. For good and obvious reasons.

Thus: NOT RECOMMENDED.

(Disclaimer: I immigrated to Canada from the U.S. and while I physically moved the place where I do business to where I live in Canada, my business has always been and continues to be about providing services to corporations in the U.S. So, one might accuse me of hypocrisy, recommending against your scheme while having done something similar myself . . . except, I actually migrated doing the work to here, in Canada, and I was already retirement age at the time and working little more than part-time, while spending most of my time in Canada anyway, and then was actually able to resume my business more full time once I settled in Canada with status to work in Canada, recognizing that I am on a work-until-I-die retirement plan. I fully intended to and have made Canada my home. For me, Canada is my home country now. With emphasis. No gaming-the-system in play.)