+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
@harirajmohan : As you know, few people in this group are still travelling on a daily basis to their work place to US, how come they are not restricted or questioned on the quarantine? I remember you were asked to quarantine after very long-time in the last month. But what if you are leaving your house and directly travelling to work place before 14-day quarantine, i believe that should be ok. While in quarantine you are not supposed to go out for anything inside Canada except in the case that if you are leaving the country(that too also in your own vehicle, not sure about flying coz that will be an exposure to general public). I read this in this forum someone stating this.

As far as i understand, you can break the quarantine if you are going to leave the country directly from your house(no stops) and in your own vehicle. *Flying* back i'm pretty sure we cannot break the quarantine.
I just entered Canada few days back. My employer is also Michigan based, and will need to travel to Michigan on as need basis. What the Canadian border said is whether you are quarantine exempt or not will depend upon how often you have to go for work. If its once or twice in a week, then you would be exempt from quarantine (only to travel to USA, without stopping anywhere midway). However, if you travel once in a month or so, then everytime you enter Canada, you have to quarantine yourself for 14 days.

How often you cross the border that will decide your exemption from quarantine is slightly gray area (meaning, you could argue what happens if you travel once in 10 days, are you exempt from quarantine? That will depend upon the border guy)

Thank you.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I just entered Canada few days back. My employer is also Michigan based, and will need to travel to Michigan on as need basis. What the Canadian border said is whether you are quarantine exempt or not will depend upon how often you have to go for work. If its once or twice in a week, then you would be exempt from quarantine (only to travel to USA, without stopping anywhere midway). However, if you travel once in a month or so, then everytime you enter Canada, you have to quarantine yourself for 14 days.

How often you cross the border that will decide your exemption from quarantine is slightly gray area (meaning, you could argue what happens if you travel once in 10 days, are you exempt from quarantine? That will depend upon the border guy)

Thank you.
It's not grey area. If you don't commute minimum once a week, you must quarantine. I travel once a month, and every time I'm asked to quarantine. Same with most people who don't travel at least once a week.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi Guys. Have anyone tried to cross the Windsor border in last couple of days? I am asking because air travel into USA have started to ask for negative Covid-19 result before boarding the flight effective from yesterday (i.e. 26th Jan). I was wondering if anyone knows the situation while crossing the border by road? Do they also require negative Covid-19 result?

Thank you

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Hi Guys. Have anyone tried to cross the Windsor border in last couple of days? I am asking because air travel into USA have started to ask for negative Covid-19 result before boarding the flight effective from yesterday (i.e. 26th Jan). I was wondering if anyone knows the situation while crossing the border by road? Do they also require negative Covid-19 result?

Thank you
Crossed through the tunnel on Monday and same process as always has been. Wasn't asked for covid test or to quarantine. Was asked where I was going- to work. No issues either crossing back into Canada. Just declared my Amazon package.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah.. thats what I was trying to figure out @canuck78 . Like, will we have to produce a negative Covid result everytime we try to go to Michigan for work (like, just for 10 hours of work) and returning back the same day? I guess, we'll have to wait and see. If USA follows the same model as UK or Canada, then negative result may not be required for land crossing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah.. thats what I was trying to figure out @canuck78 . Like, will we have to produce a negative Covid result everytime we try to go to Michigan for work (like, just for 10 hours of work) and returning back the same day? I guess, we'll have to wait and see. If USA follows the same model as UK or Canada, then negative result may not be required for land crossing.
There seems to be some bigger changes in the pipeline. Changes seem to primarily be around air travel but Ford has commented many times about land border being quite porous so there may be more changes at the land borders as well. I know some commuting are essential workers working in industries like healthcare but not everyone crossing is an essential worker. We’ll all need to see. With the new Biden team there are potential changes on both sides.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
There seems to be some bigger changes in the pipeline. Changes seem to primarily be around air travel but Ford has commented many times about land border being quite porous so there may be more changes at the land borders as well. I know some commuting are essential workers working in industries like healthcare but not everyone crossing is an essential worker. We’ll all need to see. With the new Biden team there are potential changes on both sides.
so what if someone is working in a production data center and needs to be physically present in office daily? they work in IT industry, but still need to travel. do they need to sit home and lose their jobs?
it is not possible for CBSA to tell who needs to go to work and who need not. if someone needs to travel to work for their livelihood, they do need to travel regardless of the industry in which they work. what is someone going to achieve by traveling unnecessarily during the pandemic?
that's the travel restrictions are termed as 'essential travel' and not 'essential worker travel'. there is a big difference between both.

and land borders are not porous.. traffic in land border is down over 95% and only very few people have been traveling.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
so what if someone is working in a datacenter and needs to be physically present in office daily? they work in IT industry, but still need to travel. do they need to sit home and lose their jobs?
it is not possible for CBSA to tell who needs to go to work and who need not. if someone needs to travel to work for their livelihood, they do need to travel regardless of the industry in which they work. that's the travel restrictions are termed as 'essential travel' and not 'essential worker travel'. there is a big difference between both. that is why CBSA is not asking people for the industry in which someone works..
If people can explain why they need to be onsite then they can be allowed to commute as long as they limit their contact with others when they return to Canada but I also know that there are others who don’t need to commute and could work remotely although they may need to inform their employers that they are in Canada.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-introduces-further-restrictions-on-international-travel.html

The Government of Canada will introduce a 72-hour pre-arrival testing requirement (molecular test) for travellers seeking entry in land mode, with limited exceptions such as commercial truckers.
New quarantine restrictions announced on Jan 29.
If anyone comes back from work on Monday, I'd really like to hear if they require a negative test result to come back to Windsor.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-introduces-further-restrictions-on-international-travel.html

New quarantine restrictions announced on Jan 29.
If anyone comes back from work on Monday, I'd really like to hear if they require a negative test result to come back to Windsor.
It doesn't say when will this go in effect, right? Also, its slightly unclear as to who needs to provide negative covid test prior arrival to Canada. We'll have to wait and watch the exact and final rules

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
It doesn't say when will this go in effect, right? Also, its slightly unclear as to who needs to provide negative covid test prior arrival to Canada. We'll have to wait and watch the exact and final rules
It says "effective Feb 3", so I guess we'll have to see when it actually starts

Last edited:

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
It says "effective Feb 3", so I guess we'll have to see when it actually starts
for land entry it says they are going to introduce it soon.. so it is not taking effect on Feb 3.

"The Government of Canada will introduce a 72-hour pre-arrival testing requirement (molecular test) for travellers seeking entry in land mode, with limited exceptions such as commercial truckers. In addition, we continue to collaborate with partners in the United States to strengthen our border measures and keep our countries safe."

my guess is both side borders will open land for non-essential travel and will require test to enter. current restrictions are going to end on Feb 23 and new US admin is also in discussions to review land border situation, so we could expect something after that date. both sides may mandate test.

i am not sure how this is going to work for commuters, be it frequent or infrequent ones. because technically someone can take the test before leaving windsor, use that to enter US and enter back within 72 hours using same report.

Last edited:

LOOKATAMI

May 17, 2018
Can someone help regarding purchasing a house in Canada for US commuters?

My case: A Permanent Resident living in Canada and commuting to US once a week. Going back to Canada after workday. Have not been spending nights in USA

Question: Can a Canadian Permanent resident drawing salary in USA in USD apply for mortgage in Canada to buy a house. If yes, is it expected to put 20% as downpayment or more than 20%? I've heard some Canadian banks asking for 35% as downpayment.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Can someone help regarding purchasing a house in Canada for US commuters?

My case: A Permanent Resident living in Canada and commuting to US once a week. Going back to Canada after workday. Have not been spending nights in USA

Question: Can a Canadian Permanent resident drawing salary in USA in USD apply for mortgage in Canada to buy a house. If yes, is it expected to put 20% as downpayment or more than 20%? I've heard some Canadian banks asking for 35% as downpayment.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Yes, you can certainly get a mortgage from CIBC at 20% down. I did the same thing. In fact, currently, interest rates are very low and you should take advantage from it and purchase property.
However, it is little difficult to win a bid due to houses going in multiples.