+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

banparv

May 17, 2018
If I need to travel to USA from Canada everyday, I heard that I will be considered a cross border worker and cross border workers are exempted from mandatory quarantine. Any idea, if we need to show any letter as well showing the essential work requirements to be considered a cross border worker?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
If I need to travel to USA from Canada everyday, I heard that I will be considered a cross border worker and cross border workers are exempted from mandatory quarantine. Any idea, if we need to show any letter as well showing the essential work requirements to be considered a cross border worker?
I haven't had to show any letters since I started commuting in June. Some weeks I cross once or twice, no quarantine required. I'm in the automotive industry.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am currently on H1B visa and planning to move to Windsor in couple of weeks. My employer is based in Michigan, and hence I may have to travel from Windsor to MI on as-need basis (typically once a week).
1. I understand that 14 day quarantine is required upon entering Canada. I have also read that this quarantine rule doesn't apply if you are leaving the country directly without any stops. Can someone confirm if my understanding is correct, and that I'll be able to drive to MI once a week?
2. I understand that entry to USA is permitted for essential workers (e.g. H1B visa holders working in USA). Since I am now an essential worker (since I am on H1B), will the CBP or CBSA expect me to return back to Canada the same day itself? Meaning, will I be able to enter USA on Friday, and leave for Canada by Sunday? (since work offices are closed on weekends, and hence work related travel to USA doesn't come into picture)
3. Is there a time limit by which I need to get a Canadian driver's license? Or can I drive my vehicle on MI license for a long duration (several months)?
4. Is there a time limit by which I need to get Ontario vehicle number plate? Or can I keep driving my vehicle using MI number plate for a long duration (several months)?

Thank you for your help in advance
Ajeya Gupta

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am currently on H1B visa and planning to move to Windsor in couple of weeks. My employer is based in Michigan, and hence I may have to travel from Windsor to MI on as-need basis (typically once a week).
1. I understand that 14 day quarantine is required upon entering Canada. I have also read that this quarantine rule doesn't apply if you are leaving the country directly without any stops. Can someone confirm if my understanding is correct, and that I'll be able to drive to MI once a week?
2. I understand that entry to USA is permitted for essential workers (e.g. H1B visa holders working in USA). Since I am now an essential worker (since I am on H1B), will the CBP or CBSA expect me to return back to Canada the same day itself? Meaning, will I be able to enter USA on Friday, and leave for Canada by Sunday? (since work offices are closed on weekends, and hence work related travel to USA doesn't come into picture)
3. Is there a time limit by which I need to get a Canadian driver's license? Or can I drive my vehicle on MI license for a long duration (several months)?
4. Is there a time limit by which I need to get Ontario vehicle number plate? Or can I keep driving my vehicle using MI number plate for a long duration (several months)?

Thank you for your help in advance
Ajeya Gupta

when you enter first time to move to Canada, you have to quarantine for 14 days. After that when you travel to US and come back, the officer will ask how frequently will you travel. If you tell that it's once a week, you'll be exempt from quarantine. No need to return on same day.

Also it is not possible to keep US plate and license. When you enter first time, if you tell them that CBSA that are moving to Canada, they will ask you import your car. Once you import, your clock will start ticking for Ontario registration. You need to register within 60 days. For registering you need Ontario license.. so it is not possible to escape from that too. So plan accordingly.

I find Canada to be very strict compared to US in a lot of things and noticed that all their departments work closely. so if you are shifting your residence to Windsor/Canada, do the right way because you'll be getting health cards for your family, you'll get a lease and all that. Skipping license and registration doesn't bode well with settlement.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
when you enter first time to move to Canada, you have to quarantine for 14 days. After that when you travel to US and come back, the officer will ask how frequently will you travel. If you tell that it's once a week, you'll be exempt from quarantine. No need to return on same day.

Also it is not possible to keep US plate and license. When you enter first time, if you tell them that CBSA that are moving to Canada, they will ask you import your car. Once you import, your clock will start ticking for Ontario registration. You need to register within 60 days. For registering you need Ontario license.. so it is not possible to escape from that too. So plan accordingly.

I find Canada to be very strict compared to US in a lot of things and noticed that all their departments work closely. so if you are shifting your residence to Windsor/Canada, do the right way because you'll be getting health cards for your family, you'll get a lease and all that. Skipping license and registration doesn't bode well with settlement.
Thanks for your reply @canprofus

So essentially, I can not travel back to USA after the first 14 days of my arrival to Canada, right? And after first 14 days, I could be exempt from quarantine (only to leave the country for USA). Meaning if required, could I travel back to USA within the first 14 days of my arrival (for office related work)?

The thing is I have already done 'soft landing' back in March 2020, where I had included bunch of items in my goods to accompany and goods to follow BSF186 form, which didnt include my vehicle (since I was planning to lease another vehicle in few months' time). However since then, I have leased another vehicle, and plan to get that in Canada. How would importing this new vehicle to Canada work in this case? Do I need to submit another goods to follow form?

Thank you
Ajeya

zhangchow

Jan 14, 2021
CBSA can strip you from PR if they can find you having primary residency in US and just visiting Canada for the sake of residency. Having US license and residence in US for months and your short visits will prove that US is your primary home which is enough to report you to the court for terminating PR. PR is for making that country a primary home which should be the intent of PR which is part of the residency definition. Our understanding of obligation is just on the days count which comes after you meet the definition of PR. CBSA guys are not just guards - They are the ones issue you the legal status every time you enter hence they have same level of authority to remove you from Canadian legal status - dont just underestimate while being a foreigner. Just because of being PR, they usually report to the court rather than denying at the border itself - not much difference than any other visa holder.
Hi - can you provide more details on this? Any official links of what is considered "primary residence" according to Canadian immigration?

CanucksRajiv

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Regarding Canada - US commute what happens when your home in Canada is > 50 miles from your work location? Does such commute is allowed?

yamakart

Mar 16, 2019
I am doing same on west coast...

No, Your passport will not be stamped everyday. You need to have stamped H1B along with Paper I94 ( If you dont have paper I-94, you will get it while entering by road first time when they send you in, simple process)

You can apply for Nexus here: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/login.jsp;jsessionid=HXiyMzGZFokeNFVCReXVTiuXaDG6JviDHRqy92DB6lqm6LzCtnzR!-1135677989

More information Nexus here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/application-demande-eng.html
Hey Buddy, Its nice to see this thread. Could you please let me know if you are paying taxes in both countries, or how does it work? Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Regarding Canada - US commute what happens when your home in Canada is > 50 miles from your work location? Does such commute is allowed?
Can you acutally commute > 50 miles daily both ways? Or you are thinking about going to work few times a week?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
You can keep an address in US if your work location is far than that. In fact, if it's quite far from border, CBP would ask for US address while giving i94.. 50 miles rule is applicable only if you are inside US.

Reactions: CanucksRajiv

Krishna008

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
Hello,

I am a PR and currently in US on H4 Ead. I need to stay 2 out of next 3 years in Canada. Can I commute daily between US and Canada? Please provide any information.

Thank you.