+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
30%+ home price increased from 2017. So 100k to 150k is not small amount and mostly it increases in Canada unless we get a recession like 2008(which wont happen again 99%). So not seeing that renting is good option for 4 years. Even if home price doesnt increase, we can sell it for same price which will be saving of rental money or at the worst, we will sell it for 50k less which is same as we would have spent it in renting.

Renting is 100% loss which doesnt have any chance to gain.
Buying has 70% chance of gaining.

Yes, buying a property of half million will not be worth for sure. Downpayment and closing costs matters less for the investment for 4 year term. For any investment we have to put money(which is downpayment and closing costs). No investment = No gain.
It depends on your perspective. You can rent a decent place for 1500 -2000 CAD (1200-1600 USD). For 4 years, that is maximum of 77000 money spent on rental. Thats your cost of renting. For buying in Canada (unless you're looking for a crappy place), you'll spend anywhere between 300k for a condo (depending on location) to up to 800k (outside of toronto) for a house. You'll be putting a 20% down-payment plus closing costs plus property tax plus maintenance. Your total cost over 4 years is going to easily exceed 77000. And you're hoping to seek growth in property price - which may or may not happen at the same pace if you were to invest your money in something other than a house in Canada. If anything I would buy a house in the US and rent it. This is different if you want to live in Canada in the future. The hassle isn't worth it.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
It depends on your perspective. You can rent a decent place for 1500 -2000 CAD (1200-1600 USD). For 4 years, that is maximum of 77000 money spent on rental. Thats your cost of renting. For buying in Canada (unless you're looking for a crappy place), you'll spend anywhere between 300k for a condo (depending on location) to up to 800k (outside of toronto) for a house. You'll be putting a 20% down-payment plus closing costs plus property tax plus maintenance. Your total cost over 4 years is going to easily exceed 77000. And you're hoping to seek growth in property price - which may or may not happen at the same pace if you were to invest your money in something other than a house in Canada. If anything I would buy a house in the US and rent it. This is different if you want to live in Canada in the future. The hassle isn't worth it.
Your calculation goes wrong with 20% downpayment. You can get it for 5% downpayment. Do you think that 1500-2000 monthly payment gives you a crappy place? yes it will if you are seeking at heart of downtown toronto. 1500-2000 get you a home/condo of 400-500k which doesnt look crappy.
The inflation in US is not the same in Canada. Did you check the home price increase for 5 year average? you should first and then tell if its worth.

And you are telling as if your 77k is just a total loss for buying homes like that happens for renting. You paid principal amount is your money. So calculate it again.

Buying house/condo for the same monthly payment equivalent of the rent will never go wrong unless we see 2008 crash. With the places we rent, we can get a decent house in most locations.

Last edited:

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Your calculation goes wrong with 20% downpayment. You can get it for 5% downpayment. Do you think that 1500-2000 monthly payment gives you a crappy place? yes it will if you are seeking at heart of downtown toronto. 1500-2000 get you a home/condo of 400-500k which doesnt look crappy.
The inflation in US is not the same in Canada. Did you check the home price increase for 5 year average? you should first and then tell if its worth.

And you are telling as if your 77k is just a total loss for buying homes like that happens for renting. You paid principal amount is your money. So calculate it again.
I said 1500-2000 CAD gets you a DECENT rental. And that is the basis for your rental expense. That amount as a mortgage WILL NOT get you a decent house. What is decent is relative - I do not recommend nor personally will invest in a condo. Anything else is going to cost a minimum of $500k in Canada. It is not worth the investment hassle when your time horizon to live in Canada is no more than 4-5 years. Your money that you invest in property can earn better returns in the US, especially if that is where you wish to live long term. I think you did the right thing renting. I plan to do the same.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I said 1500-2000 CAD gets you a DECENT rental. And that is the basis for your rental expense. That amount as a mortgage WILL NOT get you a decent house. What is decent is relative - I do not recommend nor personally will invest in a condo. Anything else is going to cost a minimum of $500k in Canada. It is not worth the investment hassle when your time horizon to live in Canada is no more than 4-5 years. Your money that you invest in property can earn better returns in the US, especially if that is where you wish to live long term. I think you did the right thing renting. I plan to do the same.
Data in windsor because i am in this place:
2017: Condo in downtown costing 120k the 2bed. 3 bed house at good school zone was costing 250-300k.
2020: Costing 220k+ and 400-500k+ respectively.

Inflation rate is twice that of Canada on the home prices because new homes are controlled and less in Canada than in US.

I agree that if its for short time and if you are actually investing in US and getting rental from there and paying it here then definitely yes. Without investing there and renting here is total loss.

We think that its short term and lose huge money within this short term which is my experience.

GDD

Oct 16, 2020
Hi All,

As many of you travel frequently between Canada and US, I am hoping you guys can provide some insight on two questions:

1. I have Canadian PR and I am currently in US. I am planning to fly to Canada and fly back to US to get a new I-94, as my H1 is going to be approved under consular processing and I have a valid H1 stamp. I read on Canada gov website that people can leave Canada before finishing Quarantine (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html under section Leaving Canada while in mandatory quarantine or isolation section). I am planning to fly back to US on the same day (return flight within 3 hours). Do you guys think that the CBSA officer will allow this or would they still require 14 day quarantine plan? Anyone had similar experience of returning on same day by flight?

2. I have Canadian PR card since Feb 2019 and I have visited Canada once since then. I am worried that CBSA officers might ask why I have not moved to Canada yet and may cause issues with the PR. I am seeing if I can move to Canada by end of 2021 and I am going to say to CBSA that I am planning move in 2021. What are your thoughts about this based on your experience?

Thank you,
GDD

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi All,

As many of you travel frequently between Canada and US, I am hoping you guys can provide some insight on two questions:

1. I have Canadian PR and I am currently in US. I am planning to fly to Canada and fly back to US to get a new I-94, as my H1 is going to be approved under consular processing and I have a valid H1 stamp. I read on Canada gov website that people can leave Canada before finishing Quarantine (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html under section Leaving Canada while in mandatory quarantine or isolation section). I am planning to fly back to US on the same day (return flight within 3 hours). Do you guys think that the CBSA officer will allow this or would they still require 14 day quarantine plan? Anyone had similar experience of returning on same day by flight?

2. I have Canadian PR card since Feb 2019 and I have visited Canada once since then. I am worried that CBSA officers might ask why I have not moved to Canada yet and may cause issues with the PR. I am seeing if I can move to Canada by end of 2021 and I am going to say to CBSA that I am planning move in 2021. What are your thoughts about this based on your experience?

Thank you,
GDD
1. From last month cbsa is strict. So i doubt that you would avoid it. Not sure if you can provide reasons such as working in essential industry, emergency travel coming in a week etc to avoid quarantine and no idea if they would exempt. So better be prepared to stay for 14 days and have a quarantine plan too.
2. Tell the truth. You should be fine. You have time to meet residency obligation hence you should be fine.

GDD

Oct 16, 2020
Thank you @harirajmohan!

1. I do work in healthcare industry, so I will try providing that as the reason. However, they do mention that you can leave before the 14-day quarantine period in the link I shared. So can I live for few days and leave?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you @harirajmohan!

1. I do work in healthcare industry, so I will try providing that as the reason. However, they do mention that you can leave before the 14-day quarantine period in the link I shared. So can I live for few days and leave?
Yes seems so but note the 3rd point.
If you arrive in Canada and have started your 14-day mandatory quarantine or isolation period but then have to leave the country before this period ends, you must:
  • continue to quarantine or isolate until you depart Canada
  • wear a non-medical mask or face covering while around others
  • get permission and follow the instructions laid out by a quarantine officer (for people in isolation only)

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thank you @harirajmohan!

You are definitely allowed to leave the country in quarantine. Just don't mention anything to CBSA and simply fly out after one or two days. Or just tell them that you came for flagpoling and getting new i94. Choose whatever you feel comfortable saying.. I know someone who did soft landing at Pearson and flew back in few hours without doing quarantine.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You are definitely allowed to leave the country in quarantine. Just don't mention anything to CBSA and simply fly out after one or two days. Or just tell them that you came for flagpoling and getting new i94. Choose whatever you feel comfortable saying.. I know someone who did soft landing at Pearson and flew back in few hours without doing quarantine.
Being a PR its easier to get caught while coming next time. There will be penalty for sure if quarantine is broken. Penalty can be issued up to very serious level, depends on officer. Its not worth to break it, especially while having a PR to be used in future.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/police-rcmp-fines-charges-quarantine-act-travel-1.5775267
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/americas/americans-fined-canada-quarantine-trnd/index.html
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/25/905847150/american-man-accused-of-breaking-canadas-covid-19-rules-faces-560-000-fine

Its not recommended to break quarantine as its just 14 days.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Being a PR its easier to get caught while coming next time. There will be penalty for sure if quarantine is broken. Penalty can be issued up to very serious level, depends on officer. Its not worth to break it, especially while having a PR to be used in future.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/police-rcmp-fines-charges-quarantine-act-travel-1.5775267
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/americas/americans-fined-canada-quarantine-trnd/index.html
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/25/905847150/american-man-accused-of-breaking-canadas-covid-19-rules-faces-560-000-fine

It is okay to leave Canada while in quarantine. You need to stay quarantined until the day of leaving and wear mask when among other.

Check excerpt this link for reference:

If you arrive in Canada and have started your 14-day mandatory quarantine or isolation period but then have to leave the country before this period ends, you must:

continue to quarantine or isolate until you depart Canada
wear a non-medical mask or face covering while around others

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Yes seems so but note the 3rd point.
  • continue to quarantine or isolate until you depart Canada
  • wear a non-medical mask or face covering while around others
  • get permission and follow the instructions laid out by a quarantine officer (for people in isolation only)
third point is only for people in isolation and not quarantine. That's why they have mentioned it specifically in bracket. Isolation is applicable for symptomatic/covid positive people entering Canada, not for everyone and they have completely different set of rules for people who need to isolate... like they cannot even stay with their family and all that.

For people who quarantine, it is fine to go out of the country following the guidelines mentioned in point 1 and 2.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Data in windsor because i am in this place:
2017: Condo in downtown costing 120k the 2bed. 3 bed house at good school zone was costing 250-300k.
2020: Costing 220k+ and 400-500k+ respectively.

Inflation rate is twice that of Canada on the home prices because new homes are controlled and less in Canada than in US.

I agree that if its for short time and if you are actually investing in US and getting rental from there and paying it here then definitely yes. Without investing there and renting here is total loss.

We think that its short term and lose huge money within this short term which is my experience.
Absolutely agree with you Hariraj on housing market in Windsor, ON.
To all who are moving in Windsor or are staying in Windsor, it definitely makes sense to buy a house here in Windsor right away. Market keeps going up every month. Buying a decent house should be the first priority in Windsor. CIBC is currently offering amazing mortgage rate of little under 2%. Money is definitely going to grow in the properties here in Windsor than in US. Even if someone is planning to move back to US in few years, one should buy a house now, keep it even when moved to US and just rent it out.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019

@harirajmohan : As you know, few people in this group are still travelling on a daily basis to their work place to US, how come they are not restricted or questioned on the quarantine? I remember you were asked to quarantine after very long-time in the last month. But what if you are leaving your house and directly travelling to work place before 14-day quarantine, i believe that should be ok. While in quarantine you are not supposed to go out for anything inside Canada except in the case that if you are leaving the country(that too also in your own vehicle, not sure about flying coz that will be an exposure to general public). I read this in this forum someone stating this.

As far as i understand, you can break the quarantine if you are going to leave the country directly from your house(no stops) and in your own vehicle. *Flying* back i'm pretty sure we cannot break the quarantine.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@harirajmohan : As you know, few people in this group are still travelling on a daily basis to their work place to US, how come they are not restricted or questioned on the quarantine? I remember you were asked to quarantine after very long-time in the last month. But what if you are leaving your house and directly travelling to work place before 14-day quarantine, i believe that should be ok. While in quarantine you are not supposed to go out for anything inside Canada except in the case that if you are leaving the country(that too also in your own vehicle, not sure about flying coz that will be an exposure to general public). I read this in this forum someone stating this.

As far as i understand, you can break the quarantine if you are going to leave the country directly from your house(no stops) and in your own vehicle. *Flying* back i'm pretty sure we cannot break the quarantine.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/crossing-the-border-recently-and-completed-14-day-quarantine.712325/#post-9042421