+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
As citizenship process is streamlined, most(not all) get their citizenship within 1 to 1.5 years without any problem. One needs to plan to come back if they are unlucky ones who falls under that 5-10% applicants whose processing time take more than 1.5+ years. This was the plan.

Current plan: Staying till visa is issued next year beginning (if at all happens) before we can move.
But still i am not expecting much progress at cic as things are delayed at cic too and they dont know how to conduct tests online. They are currently issuing AOR for Feb hence they might take 1-1.5 years from now to complete given the backlog is huge(again backlog on this side of border too - seems i cant escape the backlog anywhere:D)

So ultimately i am waiting for a year from application sent but due to covid its not going to help in application progress (except that i will have 4 years of residency which is good). Will see if cic makes any progress on test during this year (if they find solution quickly for online test) which will help.

Visa: I am still confused on when consulates would open. Embassy was prompt in issuing one statement in the website (ais.usvisa-info.com) saying they are not opening yet but thinking that internally drump told them not to open to curb visa issuance (and asked state dept to issue statement as opening to avoid legal issues) but will see if they are closed till this year end. Either way i dont want to go for visa in the next few months.
Hi Hariraj,

I am not getting the point why would people move back. Is it for a GC or is it for a better pay or is it for future of the kids. I mean when you have stayed there for almost 4 years, why not settling there( please do not mind, i am asking as i am new to these discussions and seeing people are going through so much in their life). Also, as most of them are having the same plans, to move back to US after completing PR days or taking a citizenship.

Thanks.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi Hariraj,

I am not getting the point why would people move back. Is it for a GC or is it for a better pay or is it for future of the kids. I mean when you have stayed there for almost 4 years, why not settling there( please do not mind, i am asking as i am new to these discussions and seeing people are going through so much in their life). Also, as most of them are having the same plans, to move back to US after completing PR days or taking a citizenship.

Thanks.
Its just based on the job, nothing much. Some have to move to different city in US for the job(of course better pay and/or good job would be the reason). See, for more than 10-15-20 years people worked in US hence there is no real need for hunting and researching for job in US (which is not the case for Canada which is a very different market). May be many like me would be lazy to move to different job market(an unknown territory for sure) when comparing to US for which we dont need special additional reference/approach/effort. I was in Australia without the job and it was very very painful to establish myself with decent pay hence one would certainly revolve around the job and change residence rather than changing job unless its obsoletely necessary.

Some might move due to below reasons which includes your note(when one doesnt want to change the job):
i. Good colleges that they feel good. Again known colleges instead of knowing which college is good in Canada.
ii. To avoid commuting as it takes away 2-3 hours everyday while having the same job in US.(Either one needs to take job in toronto type cities or they need to stick to same job in places like detroit hence its easier to move rather than hunting same job in toronto)
iii. To avoid health issues like back pain. I do get back pain due to heavy commute but some good withstand the commute as my colleague has no issues commuting for the last 20 years.

Last edited:

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Its just based on the job, nothing much. Some have to move to different city in US for the job(of course better pay and/or good job would be the reason). See, for more than 10-15-20 years people worked in US hence there is no real need for hunting and researching for job in US (which is not the case for Canada which is a very different market). May be many like me would be lazy to move to different job market(an unknown territory for sure) when comparing to US for which we dont need special additional reference/approach/effort. I was in Australia without the job and it was very very painful to establish myself with decent pay hence one would certainly revolve around the job and change residence rather than changing job unless its obsoletely necessary.

Some might move due to below reasons which includes your note(when one doesnt want to change the job):
i. Good colleges that they feel good. Again known colleges instead of knowing which college is good in Canada.
ii. To avoid commuting as it takes away 2-3 hours everyday while having the same job in US.(Either one needs to take job in toronto type cities or they need to stick to same job in places like detroit hence its easier to move rather than hunting same job in toronto)
iii. To avoid health issues like back pain. I do get back pain due to heavy commute but some good withstand the commute as my colleague has no issues commuting for the last 20 years.
Got it. Thanks hariraj. totally makes sense.

Commuting for last 20years, that was insane. __/\__

AlwaysBlessed

Feb 12, 2018
Is it true that if I have EAD/AP in US & PR in Canada, i am not eligible for nexus card coz AP is not eligible for Nexus? If so, any way around it other than maintaining H-1B active?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Is it true that if I have EAD/AP in US & PR in Canada, i am not eligible for nexus card coz AP is not eligible for Nexus? If so, any way around it other than maintaining H-1B active?
Nexus card will be issued as long as you prove that you have purpose to travel both countries frequently legally. Its not about which type of legal status you (will) hold. Nexus eligibility is non issue as you would be on some legal status on both sides.

Issue: How would you maintain both countries as primary residence while being on PR/GC on both sides. Both sides will ask you which is your primary home as its one of the requirement to retain your pr/gc. Nexus eligibility is the least thing you should worry as you can travel without nexus anyway.

Last edited:

justinline

May 19, 2009
I am also researching something similar. I might have to start commuting pretty soon and I am in process of filling AOS.
Nexus should not be problem, but my lawyer is saying once I file AOS I must stay put in US as long as I485 is not adjudicated. Having frequent travel may jeopardize the AOS, as this may provide reason for USCIS assume I am not maintaining primary residence in US. Even if I maintain secondary status like H1b, never use EAD and AP to work or travel.
Regular commuting scope opens up only after you get GC, you can convert to commuter status after that. But while AOS is pending be careful about regular travel in and out of US.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
I'll be moving to Windsor next week, and I heard the 14 day quarantine is exempted for cross border commuters.
Will I need to show CBSA documents proving my employment in the US? I have the job offer letter and paystub. What else should I bring?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Will I need to show CBSA documents proving my employment in the US? I have the job offer letter and paystub. What else should I bring?
I was never asked about full job details for years but last month twice i was asked on full detail(company, location i work, job title, visa type etc) and once i was even asked to show my visa (possibly she was verifying the visa type and the I94 validity).

Once you reach cbsa post, just answer the questions asked. Dont offer any document/information other than what was asked and they will determine what other documents they need, quarantine required or not.

Usually cbsa is not authorized to verify your work documents of some other country but they can try to see if you travel for work for which they might ask for visa(but if you dont have visa then have the i797). Not sure if they would ask for payslip but you can carry it.

Last edited:

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
I was never asked about full job details for years but last month twice i was asked on full detail(company, location i work, job title, visa type etc) and once i was even asked to show my visa (possibly she was verifying the visa type and the I94 validity).

Once you reach cbsa post, just answer the questions asked. Dont offer any document/information other than what was asked and they will determine what other documents they need, quarantine required or not.

Usually cbsa is not authorized to verify your work documents of some other country but they can try to see if you travel for work for which they might ask for visa(but if you dont have visa then have the i797). Not sure if they would ask for payslip but you can carry it.
Awesome.
As always, your answers are very much appreciated.
I'll be moving tomorrow, so I hope everything goes well.

Wish me luck

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Awesome.
As always, your answers are very much appreciated.
I'll be moving tomorrow, so I hope everything goes well.

Wish me luck
Ok. Good Luck with your move. It should be fine.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Thanks again for ur reply. Were you called in for secondary inspection everytim or for dirst few times? Could you please share your experience? Really appreciate it.
Just once to get the paper I94. I was then called for secondary maybe twice since. You can be called into secondary for random screening (even with Nexus). It may seem dauting at first, but once you commute regularly it all becomes routine and in general hassle free.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi Hariraj,

Thanks.
As nice and relaxing Canada is; the US is still the envy of the world when it comes to tech professionals. I think this along with the familiarity with the US (most folks commuting spent substantial time in the US before moving to Canada) and the bigger job market are prompting many to move back to the US especially since the forward movement in the recent visa bulletin. There are really no jobs for techies in Windsor so moving to Michigan under EAD is a good choice. The other choice is to find a job in Ottawa, GTA, Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge area and settle for a lesser pay.

Reactions: swan0206

Sri91

Jan 8, 2019
Hi,

I need some help in regards to weekly commute from US to Canada to maintain my residency requirement. I recently got my Canadian PR Approved and have valid H1B Visa working in USA. I would like to travel in the weekends to Windsor to maintain my PR Status. My main question is below:

1. What country registered car do people usually use to commute weekly from Canada to USA or vice versa back?
2. Can I drive my car registered in us or should I buy a car in Canada?
3. Will there be issues at the border on Ambassador bridge if am crossing in Canadian or USA registered car either way?
4 Would be a best solution to hire a rental car from Detroit and drive it across Canada for the weekend and return Monday morning at Detroit? will their be issue sat Canadian side?

Thanks in advance for the help or suggestions provided

Moemoe1

Oct 25, 2020
Hey everyone,

I recently landed in Ontario on spousal sponsorship (Windsor-Detroit) and was curious on if I would run into any issues commuting to and from the U.S to Windsor daily for work? I have not received my PR card yet and probably won't for at least a month due to delays. Also, is my COPR stapled to my U.S passport enough to gain re-entry back into Canada daily? I was told i could travel as a cross-border worker but failed to ask the question on if i had to wait until i physically received a PR card. I would hate to get stuck on the U.S side now as i would have no place to stay.

Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hey everyone,

I recently landed in Ontario on spousal sponsorship (Windsor-Detroit) and was curious on if I would run into any issues commuting to and from the U.S to Windsor daily for work? I have not received my PR card yet and probably won't for at least a month due to delays. Also, is my COPR stapled to my U.S passport enough to gain re-entry back into Canada daily? I was told i could travel as a cross-border worker but failed to ask the question on if i had to wait until i physically received a PR card. I would hate to get stuck on the U.S side now as i would have no place to stay.

Thanks!
passport with copr is enough to travel via road using personal/rental car. You need PR card to board any commercial transportation such as bus/plane.