+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

siddix16

May 5, 2020
Do you think it'll be possible to start commuting across the border if I stay at an Airbnb while looking for an apartment to move into?
I don't know if the border agents will exempt me from the 14 day quarantine if I don't have a place of my own. And I'll probably have a Michigan plate on my car as well.

Backstory if it's important:
I'm actually in Windsor right now looking for apartments. I can apply for apartments, but I'll have to fly back to the US to file the H-1b change of status application. Since USCIS will be going on furlough in a few weeks, I don't know when the case will be approved, even with premium processing, so I don't know if it'll be wise to sign anything right now.

But I don't want to do the 14 day quarantine again when my H-1b COS gets approved. I'll have to do the apartment search all over again...
Some things just can't be done online, like handing in the money order for last month's rent.
I don;t know if CBSA will exempt me from the 14-day quarantine if I just show up with some clothes and a car with a Michigan license plate.

This pandemic is really messing with my plans.

Whether You have to do quarantine or not, it is entirely upto the discretion of agent. The rule says anyone entering the Canada have to quarantine but daily commuters are exempted, this does not mean the border agent cannot ask you to quarantine, especially when you are just planning to stay at airbnb. You have to remember that border is closed; you would have to do some explaining at border now if you are just crossing to stay at a bnb . Plan everything to move permanently. .Since you are in Windsor now, you can get many things done.

You cannot commute daily without importing your car first. They give you some called "Form 1" when you import. That is the most important document till you get Ontario plate. Till I got the plate, I was asked every now and then to show form 1. The day I moved, I did not have import papersof my car, I was reprimanded heavily for that and was told next time I enter Canada, I need to have all the import papers with me. So bottom line, You HAVE to import car the day you are moving.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Whether You have to do quarantine or not, it is entirely upto the discretion of agent. The rule says anyone entering the Canada have to quarantine but daily commuters are exempted, this does not mean the border agent cannot ask you to quarantine, especially when you are just planning to stay at airbnb. You have to remember that border is closed; you would have to do some explaining at border now if you are just crossing to stay at a bnb . Plan everything to move permanently. .Since you are in Windsor now, you can get many things done.

You cannot commute daily without importing your car first. They give you some called "Form 1" when you import. That is the most important document till you get Ontario plate. Till I got the plate, I was asked every now and then to show form 1. The day I moved, I did not have import papersof my car, I was reprimanded heavily for that and was told next time I enter Canada, I need to have all the import papers with me. So bottom line, You HAVE to import car the day you are moving.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, since I'm in Windsor, I thought about applying for an apartment right away, but the move in dates are in early October.
I don't know if USCIS will process my H-1b that quickly with the furlough coming up.

I don't want to rent an apartment and let it sit empty for a month or so

Jan 16, 2018
Looking for some advice here and haven't got a chance to read all 60 pages at this time.

My scenario
- Have Canadian PR - Soft landing
- US H1B - Good decent Salary in SF Bay area - I140 Approved

If I move to Canada it will be drop a lot (40%) but I also don't want to loose the PR which I have got. We are looking into the possibility of buying home close to any border city like Windsor/Abbotsford and still be in US for the salary and also be in Canada for PR/Citizenship
good idea as long as you actually work in USA.

siddix16

May 5, 2020
Looking for some advice here and haven't got a chance to read all 60 pages at this time.

My scenario
- Have Canadian PR - Soft landing
- US H1B - Good decent Salary in SF Bay area - I140 Approved

If I move to Canada it will be drop a lot (40%) but I also don't want to loose the PR which I have got. We are looking into the possibility of buying home close to any border city like Windsor/Abbotsford and still be in US for the salary (Commute to Detroit daily) and also be in Canada for PR/Citizenship as commuting back home

You said you are based in SF, I think you will have problem crossing border daily from Michigan side just for work. How would you explain your office being located in bay area and crossing from Michigan daily. Try maybe BC side? Also to maintain H1b, you would need to be located in 50 miles radius of the office location mentioned in LCA. I have seen companies amend the LCA with home address who work remotely. But am sure you can figure those details out.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You said you are based in SF, I think you will have problem crossing border daily from Michigan side just for work. How would you explain your office being located in bay area and crossing from Michigan daily. Try maybe BC side? Also to maintain H1b, you would need to be located in 50 miles radius of the office location mentioned in LCA. I have seen companies amend the LCA with home address who work remotely. But am sure you can figure those details out.
can he enter once a week through Detroit and show flight ticket to SF if asked? 50 mile thing is only applicable while being in US as far as I know. So if he maintains a residence (a friend's place may be?) close to office where he stays while he is in US, that should be good. People need US address anyways as not all employer systems support Canadian address.

hoyeshi

Aug 21, 2020
Hey guys, its good to find there are people who are already doing this. I intend to do this too pretty soon around the east coast in newyork. Do i need the Nexus card to be able to pass the border daily? Whats the advantage?
hello, what is the update of this thread? where in NY are you planning to work while living in which part of canada?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
  • Love
Reactions: vigansa

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks for the information regarding school.
Do you have any link for apartment lists and its rating also?
I dont know about the rating but below one is standard/decent company who have multiple buildings across windsor. I stay in one of them for almost 4 years.
https://www.skylineliving.ca/apartments-for-rent/ontario/windsor/
How to choose apartment(this is my way of doing it):
1. School zone.
2. Shortlist/Choose few apartment buildings/complexes.
3. Drive around the building's neighbourhood to see if houses are well maintained (this will indicate that its little safe neighbourhood).
4. Choose the good building among the shortlisted.

Note: Some might be old building where centralized a/c might not be available but no choice when it falls in the needed school zone. So be aware.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: vigansa

vigansa

Aug 15, 2020
I dont know about the rating but below one is standard/decent company who have multiple buildings across windsor. I stay in one of them for almost 4 years.
https://www.skylineliving.ca/apartments-for-rent/ontario/windsor/
How to choose apartment(this is my way of doing it):
1. School zone.
2. Shortlist/Choose few apartment buildings/complexes.
3. Drive around the building's neighbourhood to see if houses are well maintained (this will indicate that its little safe neighbourhood).
4. Choose the good building among the shortlisted.

Note: Some might be old building where centralized a/c might not be available but no choice when it falls in the needed school zone. So be aware.
Thanks, Hari.

Hitesh12345

Jul 9, 2018
Hi everyone,

We planned our move to Canada over couple years since we have been here for 18 years and have two kids in school, house etc. My husbands work (h1b )requires him to work out of his buffalo office, we bought a house in Canada in March but have been unable to move due to COVID. We are planning to move in November. Will he allowed to make a daily commute to Buffalo? we will be talking to a immigration lawyer in few days but wanted to ask here since everyone is so knowledgeable. Please guide us! Thank you for your help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

We planned our move to Canada over couple years since we have been here for 18 years and have two kids in school, house etc. My husbands work (h1b )requires him to work out of his buffalo office, we bought a house in Canada in March but have been unable to move due to COVID. We are planning to move in November. Will he allowed to make a daily commute to Buffalo? we will be talking to a immigration lawyer in few days but wanted to ask here since everyone is so knowledgeable. Please guide us! Thank you for your help!
His work will need to be an essential worker to cross the border.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi everyone,

Yes, he can go daily. I commute infrequently though for the time being but if you go for work then there is no issue in both sides. No additional questions asked in US side if you go for work(the usual questions will be asked).
Canadian side there will be more questions like where you work, whats the title, which company, give me your email and phone, show the visa and I94 etc. They are asking to make sure you are not travelling for leisure purpose.

Just plan your move. You should be good. Immigration lawyer would be confusing you. My lawyer cant answer more on executive order itself as they cant know the exact rules being allowed on the ground hence they would mostly confuse you. Just call the border which is more trustable than the lawyer in this case.

I travel once in every 2-3 weeks after the last executive order in June and no issues. I think that people are even travelling more frequently too.

Just make sure approved H1 is available for buffalo.

Last edited:
Reactions: vj9 and Hitesh12345

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
His work will need to be an essential worker to cross the border.
Not needed to be in essential job/industry. As long as one goes for work in US, they are allowed without any issue on both sides.
I work in automotive company and have no issues crossing.

Reactions: vj9 and Hitesh12345