+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
As citizenship process is streamlined, most(not all) get their citizenship within 1 to 1.5 years without any problem. One needs to plan to come back if they are unlucky ones who falls under that 5-10% applicants whose processing time take more than 1.5+ years. This was the plan.

Current plan: Staying till visa is issued next year beginning (if at all happens) before we can move.
But still i am not expecting much progress at cic as things are delayed at cic too and they dont know how to conduct tests online. They are currently issuing AOR for Feb hence they might take 1-1.5 years from now to complete given the backlog is huge(again backlog on this side of border too - seems i cant escape the backlog anywhere:D)

So ultimately i am waiting for a year from application sent but due to covid its not going to help in application progress (except that i will have 4 years of residency which is good). Will see if cic makes any progress on test during this year (if they find solution quickly for online test) which will help.

Visa: I am still confused on when consulates would open. Embassy was prompt in issuing one statement in the website (ais.usvisa-info.com) saying they are not opening yet but thinking that internally drump told them not to open to curb visa issuance (and asked state dept to issue statement as opening to avoid legal issues) but will see if they are closed till this year end. Either way i dont want to go for visa in the next few months.
cool.. i didn't know that you already have accumulated enough days for citizenship. i thought you just completed 730 PR days and then moving back after saving the PR. good luck and wishing you to be relieved from this mess soon.

Reactions: harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Correct me if am wrong but we need 3 years (1095 days) and thats about it. Not sure what you meant by 4 years, i am sure one could move out as soon as the application is filed. People travel while application is in process ( travel i mean long term..3 or 6 months)
Yes correct, we just need 3 years before moving.
I was telling that its becoming 4 years by the time my family receives visa. Its good in the sense of having not to worry about PR residency obligation for the next 3 years if in case citizenship application take 2+ years to complete, given the backlog(or got stuck due to some unknown cic reason).

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
As citizenship process is streamlined, most(not all) get their citizenship within 1 to 1.5 years without any problem. One needs to plan to come back if they are unlucky ones who falls under that 5-10% applicants whose processing time take more than 1.5+ years. This was the plan.

Current plan: Staying till visa is issued next year beginning (if at all happens) before we can move.
But still i am not expecting much progress at cic as things are delayed at cic too and they dont know how to conduct tests online. They are currently issuing AOR for Feb hence they might take 1-1.5 years from now to complete given the backlog is huge(again backlog on this side of border too - seems i cant escape the backlog anywhere:D)

So ultimately i am waiting for a year from application sent but due to covid its not going to help in application progress (except that i will have 4 years of residency which is good). Will see if cic makes any progress on test during this year (if they find solution quickly for online test) which will help.

Visa: I am still confused on when consulates would open. Embassy was prompt in issuing one statement in the website (ais.usvisa-info.com) saying they are not opening yet but thinking that internally drump told them not to open to curb visa issuance (and asked state dept to issue statement as opening to avoid legal issues) but will see if they are closed till this year end. Either way i dont want to go for visa in the next few months.
cool.. one quick question.. how can H4 holder move back to US from Canada ? first H1 needs to move and then H4 should follow or both can move together saying that they would reside in US going on?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
cool.. one quick question.. how can H4 holder move back to US from Canada ? first H1 needs to move and then H4 should follow or both can move together saying that they would reside in US going on?
Either way is fine like many of us faced both the stamping types in India too. So no different here also. It should be fine as long as consulates even open :D

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Either way is fine like many of us faced both the stamping types in India too. So no different here also. It should be fine as long as consulates even open :D
I mean what should be told at the border while H4 holders is moving back? Say if someone moves to Canada, commutes for a while and wants to move back to US.. what should H4 holder say to the border officers during entry?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I mean what should be told at the border while H4 holders is moving back? Say if someone moves to Canada, commutes for a while and wants to move back to US.. what should H4 holder say to the border officers during entry?
Nothing different. Go together to get I94 for them. When asked we can simply say that we are moving in few weeks hence wanted H4 and we will be moving the good slowly in the next few weeks.
When we went to get B2 for my family, at that time during conversation we told that we will be moving in 6 months then he told that we should make sure get the H4 before that.
So it wont be a problem if we get the status on one day and start slowly moving and commuting together for days together.

siddix16

May 5, 2020
For those who commute daily to US, do you use some kind of travel insurance? Any recommendation? My employer in US does have a relatively cheaper HSA plan but I understand you need to be resident of US to qualify for HSA. I might be wrong though. Anyway I would rather not be paying for insurance in both USA and paying taxes for healthcare in canada (800$ for ontario, is it) so any good travel insurance recommendation is welcomed. Thank you.

siddix16

May 5, 2020
That actually makes a ton of sense.
So i guess I'll have to go to Windsor, 14 day quarantine, look for a place, sign a lease, start commuting, then move my stuff.

Thanks

I moved during Corona. Looked for place online, asked for a virtual tour of apartment with building manager. They did ask for money order of security deposit which can only be in CAD so asked my friends to arrange that. Got internet connection before moving too, ask them to mail the router on date which coincided with my moving date. Packed all my stuff in my car and moved. They are doing the landing procedure no problem. Got bank account after moving here. Told the office I would be commuting daily so he said I am exempt from quarantine (weird loophole I know).

One mistake I made was I did not import my car on the day of moving, because my recall letter was taking some time. They kind of reprimanded me for that and told me "since you would be going back to US for work, next time you enter you should have exported your car from there". SO I came back to US again, stayed for couple of days and went back and exported my car. Again no quarantine since I am a daily commuter. However I do receive emails from Canada govt daily to monitor my symptoms etc.

Hope this helps.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
For those who commute daily to US, do you use some kind of travel insurance? Any recommendation? My employer in US does have a relatively cheaper HSA plan but I understand you need to be resident of US to qualify for HSA. I might be wrong though. Anyway I would rather not be paying for insurance in both USA and paying taxes for healthcare in canada (800$ for ontario, is it) so any good travel insurance recommendation is welcomed. Thank you.
Dont get insurance from US. Take travel insurance for US for emergency.

Due to pandemic, there is no waiting period in ON hence you are saving another 3 months of travel insurance at Canadian side(which was not the case during pre-pandemic). So just move in and apply for health card with your address proof and you would get coverage from day 1. https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-3

ON health tax varies based on income. Most probably your income would be high enough to reach up to 900 which is cheap for the whole family anyway while comparing to the cost in US which covers hardly 2 months. https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/ontario-health-premium-rates
From $72,600 to $200,000: $750.00
$200,600 and over: $900.00

Travel insurances: It varies based on each year on which one tops the low cost. I went with RSA travel insurance in 2018 and Manulife coverme in 2019. I always take multi trip annual coverage for me and my family.

Last edited:

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
I moved during Corona. Looked for place online, asked for a virtual tour of apartment with building manager. They did ask for money order of security deposit which can only be in CAD so asked my friends to arrange that. Got internet connection before moving too, ask them to mail the router on date which coincided with my moving date. Packed all my stuff in my car and moved. They are doing the landing procedure no problem. Got bank account after moving here. Told the office I would be commuting daily so he said I am exempt from quarantine (weird loophole I know).

One mistake I made was I did not import my car on the day of moving, because my recall letter was taking some time. They kind of reprimanded me for that and told me "since you would be going back to US for work, next time you enter you should have exported your car from there". SO I came back to US again, stayed for couple of days and went back and exported my car. Again no quarantine since I am a daily commuter. However I do receive emails from Canada govt daily to monitor my symptoms etc.

Hope this helps.
Whoa....no quarantine if you tell the border agent that you'll be a commuter?
Did he ask for a letter or something?

How tedious was the export process?
I glanced at the forum for car export, and I just put it off because the to do list was getting too long.

Maybe I should just enter Canada in a U-haul truck with all my stuff, return the truck in Windsor and buy a car in Canada to save myself the trouble?

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Dont get insurance from US. Take travel insurance for US for emergency.

Due to pandemic, there is no waiting period in ON hence you are saving another 3 months of travel insurance at Canadian side(which was not the case during pre-pandemic). So just move in and apply for health card with your address proof and you would get coverage from day 1. https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-3

ON health tax varies based on income. Most probably your income would be high enough to reach up to 900 which is cheap for the whole family anyway while comparing to the cost in US which covers hardly 2 months. https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/ontario-health-premium-rates
From $72,600 to $200,000: $750.00
$200,600 and over: $900.00

Travel insurances: It varies based on each year on which one tops the low cost. I went with RSA travel insurance in 2018 and Manulife coverme in 2019. I always take multi trip annual coverage for me and my family.
Do most people cross-border commuting not have US health insurance?

What if you get into a serious accident while driving in Michigan?

Also, what about Auto insurance?

Reactions: canuck78

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Do most people cross-border commuting not have US health insurance?

What if you get into a serious accident while driving in Michigan?

Also, what about Auto insurance?
Its same way like "Do you have France/Germany Health insurance when you travel to France/Germany?". No. We take travel insurance as its the only thing needed to cover for emergency medical. You are visitor to US, not a resident to US and not going to seek regular physician/dentist appointment for your regular checkup or do some surgery in a visiting country. If your employer offers then you can very well take it.

No company offers cheap car insurance rates hence search online and go with the one quoting less at that time as all are daytime robbers - double the cost of US.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are many things that are not covered by OHIP so you will need more than travel insurance. No Rx coverage for adults under 26, no dental coverage, no eye exams of glasses, no physio/massage, etc.

Reactions: harirajmohan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its same way like "Do you have France/Germany Health insurance when you travel to France/Germany?". No. We take travel insurance as its the only thing needed to cover for emergency medical. You are visitor to US, not a resident to US and not going to seek regular physician/dentist appointment for your regular checkup or do some surgery in a visiting country. If your employer offers then you can very well take it.

No company offers cheap car insurance rates hence search online and go with the one quoting less at that time as all are daytime robbers - double the cost of US.
Unless your spouse works in Canada and has an extended benefits plan you are left with a lot of things that aren’t covered.

siddix16

May 5, 2020
What address do you provide for paystubs? Does your company system accept a foreign address? If not, do you give friend's/office's address?