+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi. I have to move to Windsor from Texas, US and then commute to Detroit daily for work. I have a few questions. Can you pls help me on these:
1. I just talked to CBSA. They told me the 14 days self isolation is mandatory when I and family are moving to Windsor and I will not be able to commute to Detroit during those 14 days. Is that correct?
2. They also mentioned that I will need to produce a letter from my organization in Detroit, to the border showing I need to commute from Canada to US daily so that border officers can allow me to commute daily. Did everyone who is commuting right now, have to get that letter from the employer or are there any workarounds?

Thanks!
Hi,

I am commuting daily from past 2 weeks and CBP is not asking any specific question regarding what type of work we do. They will ask where are you going and of bringing anything with us.
Tunnel is faster and they seemed to be asking less questionnaire.
Coming back, they will ask you to quarantine for 14 days meaning avoid going to public places in Windsor. They won't stop you from going back to work next day. They do not need any letter from our work HR.
I work in Automotive Manufacturing and not in health care. I have not faced any issues so far.
Hope this will help.

Reactions: VOBuckeye

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Hi,

I am commuting daily from past 2 weeks and CBP is not asking any specific question regarding what type of work we do. They will ask where are you going and of bringing anything with us.
Coming back, they will ask you to quarantine for 14 days meaning avoid going to public places in Windsor. They won't stop you from going back to work next day. They do not need any letter from our work HR.
I work in Automotive Manufacturing and not in health care. I have not faced any issues so far.
Hope this will help.
Thank you so much for this. I haven't been across since March and I plan to start commuting again this week. I also work in Automotive. Glad to know they don't require any documentation.

Reactions: BhargavDadhaniya

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Hi,

Hope this will help.
So I crossed over today after almost 3 months. I used my nexus card and no issues. I was however surprised when I was asked to open my trunk at the booth. Do they check this everyday since there's less traffic? I know they check trunk at random. The only reason I ask is because I wanted to stay a few nights at my friend's instead of commuting. Just wouldn't know how to explain suitcase.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
So I crossed over today after almost 3 months. I used my nexus card and no issues. I was however surprised when I was asked to open my trunk at the booth. Do they check this everyday since there's less traffic? I know they check trunk at random. The only reason I ask is because I wanted to stay a few nights at my friend's instead of commuting. Just wouldn't know how to explain suitcase.
They check randomly every few weeks/months like that, doesnt matter if its car or truck. I have car only and my car had been checked by them.
Suitcase: just explain your actual stay and plan on how long you stay at either side. it should be fine. but what they would look for from you is that "which is your primary residence". if they get confused on it then you will have too many questions and checking.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah they are checking trunk more often these days. Thats fine.
Suitcase is fine as long as it can be explained. They are just searching for illegal stuff. They can open the suitcase, check it and might not even ask you any question.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Anybody's parents are here in Canada from past few months and planning to extend the stay amid COVID?
My parent's flight to Mumbai is canceled which was in first week of July. I am planning to apply for visitor visa extension so called "Visitor Record to Extend the stay". But the processing times shows 135 days and they recommend to apply for extension 30 days prior to expiring of the first stat. Little confused here.
Also, if border will be opened on 21st June for all travels, would CBP allow visitors straightaway for vacation purpose? Just looking to brainstorm. I know no one knows the exact answer.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Anybody's parents are here in Canada from past few months and planning to extend the stay amid COVID?
My parent's flight to Mumbai is canceled which was in first week of July. I am planning to apply for visitor visa extension so called "Visitor Record to Extend the stay". But the processing times shows 135 days and they recommend to apply for extension 30 days prior to expiring of the first stat. Little confused here.
Also, if border will be opened on 21st June for all travels, would CBP allow visitors straightaway for vacation purpose? Just looking to brainstorm. I know no one knows the exact answer.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Just throwing in my 2cents. I'm sure they are aware of the delay in processing times and may give some leeway due to covid. You could try to call perhaps. I thought june 21st was just opening the US- Canada border only? Not sure...

Reactions: BhargavDadhaniya

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Has anyone filed for their H1B extension recently? And were they able to cross the border with a pending application?
My company lawyer says they are seeing regular processing take up to 9 months. Wondering if I should apply for premium.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Has anyone filed for their H1B extension recently? And were they able to cross the border with a pending application?

1. My company lawyer says they are seeing regular processing take up to 9 months. Wondering if I should apply for premium.
1. It was already taking 5-6 months in Feb2020, now it will definitely take longer. Not sure why you are still doubtful in applying for premium.
Till 1 year ago, it was taking 8+ months and uscis was minting money with premium. So after covid when people are not working much and no idea if they can work at the same speed(no one knows). So if you have any urgency then do it now rather than later, if not wait till 2 months before 240 days.

Current situation:
Yesterday one of my ex-colleague called and we were discussing on his extension. He filed last year and in Feb he upgraded to premium and received RFE in Feb. RFE was replied in Apr but still uscis did not start his clock to review. His company now tells him not to work till application is adjudicated.

So its all about when you want approval and how long you can wait within 240 day period before upgrading to premium.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
1. It was already taking 5-6 months in Feb2020, now it will definitely take longer. Not sure why you are still doubtful in applying for premium.
Till 1 year ago, it was taking 8+ months and uscis was minting money with premium. So after covid when people are not working much and no idea if they can work at the same speed(no one knows). So if you have any urgency then do it now rather than later, if not wait till 2 months before 240 days.

Current situation:
Yesterday one of my ex-colleague called and we were discussing on his extension. He filed last year and in Feb he upgraded to premium and received RFE in Feb. RFE was replied in Apr but still uscis did not start his clock to review. His company now tells him not to work till application is adjudicated.

So its all about when you want approval and how long you can wait within 240 day period before upgrading to premium.
Situation is completely different now. Because USCIS suspended premium, processing time drastically came down. Many petitions are getting approved in regular mode in 3-4 weeks across all centers. That's the personal experience as well as experience with many other colleagues who filed in last two months.

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
any US consulates in the world open and processing VISA applications for H1??? I did my H1 stamping in Ottawa last time and I am Canada PR living in Canada and commuting daily to USA, do you think I am eligible for dropbox ? please reply thank you, dont say there is no dropbox there is dropbox for Canad PR holders residing in Canada , my friend sent Dropbox in Toronto Consulate 2 times so far , here is the link
https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-announces-changes-to-nonimmigrant-visa-program/

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
any US consulates in the world open and processing VISA applications for H1??? I did my H1 stamping in Ottawa last time and I am Canada PR living in Canada and commuting daily to USA, do you think I am eligible for dropbox ? please reply thank you, dont say there is no dropbox there is dropbox for Canad PR holders residing in Canada , my friend sent Dropbox in Toronto Consulate 2 times so far , here is the link
https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-announces-changes-to-nonimmigrant-visa-program/
They were processing in March that i know but it was the dropbox application but not sure if they process now or not.
My application delivered on 19th at toronto and they sent me back the passport on 25th.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
They were processing in March that i know but it was the dropbox application but not sure if they process now or not.
My application delivered on 19th at toronto and they sent me back the passport on 25th.
Do commuters need to be physically inside USA on the exact day of applying H1 extension to get i94 with the extension? Typically USCIS won't approve extension of stay (they do it as consular notification) if a person is not inside at the time of filing, just wanted to check if that applies to commuters too.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Do commuters need to be physically inside USA on the exact day of applying H1 extension to get i94 with the extension? Typically USCIS won't approve extension of stay (they do it as consular notification) if a person is not inside at the time of filing, just wanted to check if that applies to commuters too.
No, uscis needs the candidate to be in status. They will extend your I94 while approving the H1(if extension of I94 was requested). My I94 was extended in while in 2018 but during my last extension few months ago, my new innovative lawyer thought something different(or god knows what he thought and dont know if he even know about the rule) and requested for visa at toronto consulate hence i did not receive I94 extension in 2020.

So it doesnt matter if one is commuter or a US resident to get extension, as long as the candidate is on status and extension of I94 was requested in I129 then uscis grants it without any problem.

Reactions: DEEPCUR

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
No, uscis needs the candidate to be in status. They will extend your I94 while approving the H1(if extension of I94 was requested). My I94 was extended in while in 2018 but during my last extension few months ago, my new innovative lawyer thought something different(or god knows what he thought and dont know if he even know about the rule) and requested for visa at toronto consulate hence i did not receive I94 extension in 2020.

So it doesnt matter if one is commuter or a US resident to get extension, as long as the candidate is on status and extension of I94 was requested in I129 then uscis grants it without any problem.
so in 2018 when USCIS extended your i94, were you in Windsor while they filed the application?