+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi,
Is there anyone who has received their citizenship while doing the Windsor-Detroit Commute?
Also is there something called as a commuter h1 visa.
I am due for my -140 extension this year and needed to know if I will be allowed to commute in this circumstance as my 6 years have expired?

Thanks and Regards,
Praik
I've been on H1b visa for 8 years now. So can confirm no issues while commuting on H1b post 6 year completion with previously approved I140. There is no commuter H1b visa.

krish1989

Jan 14, 2018
I have the same question as Pratik's. Did anyone applied or received Canadian citizenship while doing this h1b daily commute stunt? Was there any problems while applying for Canadian citizenship?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Have you received your citizenship?
Thanks and Regards,
Pratik
I have the same question as Pratik's. Did anyone applied or received Canadian citizenship while doing this h1b daily commute stunt? Was there any problems while applying for Canadian citizenship?
No issues. My commuter colleague received it without any problem.

Reactions: desmat

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
No issues. My commuter colleague received it without any problem.
Thank you for the reply @harirajmohan
Could you also let us know a few things below?
1).Has he declined his USA insurance?(If yes how does he handle any medical emergencies on usa side)
2).Are there any popular attorneys available in Windsor area that do US-Canada (State/Federal Taxes)?
3).Does he have a rental house in USA/PO box for W2s , Bank,Cellphone etc?
4).Does he work in Detroit or some other employer is in some other state?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1).Has he declined his USA insurance?(If yes how does he handle any medical emergencies on usa side)
2).Are there any popular attorneys available in Windsor area that do US-Canada (State/Federal Taxes)?
1. We dont subscribe to US insurance as we opt for prescription-dental-vision coverage for canada. For emergency purpose i take travel insurance but not my colleagues are keen on it as no one verifies hence its up to the individual on how well one needs protection.
2. Dont know. We do it ourselves online.
File IRS and State return first at US side. While filing in Canada, mention the taxes paid (net federal tax, net state tax,medicare, social security tax) in US and pay remaining if any. Use aggregate income from 1040 while filing in Canada, which is what i use and seen no issues. If you are mentioning the 401k contribution in Canada then use rc268 form but make sure you first add this 401k amount to the aggregate amount or else it would be double deduction and will receive audit for the same from canada.
3. We dont give any US address for payroll as i have canadian address on payroll, I129 and IRS tax forms. Some on H1 and some on TN - both same case.
4. We work in Detroit where our company head office is located, the same location for which we have approval for. Not sure why you are asking but it doesnt matter as long as you work at the same location which is approved for.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Not disagreeing with harirajmohan's answers, just giving my perspective
1) You can opt in for US insurance. It might be convenient to get dental work for example during work hours. Many dental/vision facilities may be off during the weekend. I know many who do this.
2) Because so many folks in windsor work across the border, there are quite a few tax professionals that do both canadian and US taxes. A simple google search will do to find a professional.
3) It is handy to have a mailbox in US. Again many provide their US mailbox as a mailing address.
4) Most folks work in the Detroit area.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
1. We dont subscribe to US insurance as we opt for prescription-dental-vision coverage for canada. For emergency purpose i take travel insurance but not my colleagues are keen on it as no one verifies hence its up to the individual on how well one needs protection.
2. Dont know. We do it ourselves online.
File IRS and State return first at US side. While filing in Canada, mention the taxes paid (net federal tax, net state tax,medicare, social security tax) in US and pay remaining if any. Use aggregate income from 1040 while filing in Canada, which is what i use and seen no issues. If you are mentioning the 401k contribution in Canada then use rc268 form but make sure you first add this 401k amount to the aggregate amount or else it would be double deduction and will receive audit for the same from canada.
3. We dont give any US address for payroll as i have canadian address on payroll, I129 and IRS tax forms. Some on H1 and some on TN - both same case.
4. We work in Detroit where our company head office is located, the same location for which we have approval for. Not sure why you are asking but it doesnt matter as long as you work at the same location which is approved for.
If someone sets the federal tax deductions to zero using W4, then can they just pay taxes to Canada, file US returns and be done with it?

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Not disagreeing with harirajmohan's answers, just giving my perspective
1) You can opt in for US insurance. It might be convenient to get dental work for example during work hours. Many dental/vision facilities may be off during the weekend. I know many who do this.
2) Because so many folks in windsor work across the border, there are quite a few tax professionals that do both canadian and US taxes. A simple google search will do to find a professional.
3) It is handy to have a mailbox in US. Again many provide their US mailbox as a mailing address.
4) Most folks work in the Detroit area.
Thank you for the information.
For point No.3 If i lets say rent a room in a place near my work (which is not detroit, i will be wfh from detroit but employer is in indiana) in indiana.
Will that count as having residency in the states , as opposed to just renting a POBox, in my citizenship application to canada?9i will obviously have a fullfledged place of my own in canada but just want to have a place near me work which i can use to attend important meetings where physical presence is necessary.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If someone sets the federal tax deductions to zero using W4, then can they just pay taxes to Canada, file US returns and be done with it?
We need to file taxes in Canada(at least if that person was trying to file citizenship) even by mentioning the foreign income as 0$. I am not sure if they track and issue letters for not filing - no idea though. If its 0 income then file it as 0 income in Canada(as filing also doesnt cost money).

Thank you for the information.
1. For point No.3 If i lets say rent a room in a place near my work (which is not detroit, i will be wfh from detroit but employer is in indiana) in indiana.
2. Will that count as having residency in the states , as opposed to just renting a POBox, in my citizenship application to canada?9i will obviously have a fullfledged place of my own in canada but just want to have a place near me work which i can use to attend important meetings where physical presence is necessary.
1. cbp asks where you are going and where you are working. so they dont care what you own. They care if you go to the work location wherever you have the approval from uscis. If they verify that if your location you mention is not there in uscis file (or the address appears as a home address) then it will be a problem to gain admission.
2. How come residency in US count for canadian citizenship application? Or you should ask question clearly.
It doesnt matter if you own any rental box or rental home or own home in Canada or in US - It just matters on how many number of partial/full days you have been present inside Canada matters to become eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.
You should first read the eligibility of Canadian citizenship instead of asking on it.

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
We need to file taxes in Canada(at least if that person was trying to file citizenship) even by mentioning the foreign income as 0$. I am not sure if they track and issue letters for not filing - no idea though. If its 0 income then file it as 0 income in Canada(as filing also doesnt cost money).

1. cbp asks where you are going and where you are working. so they dont care what you own. They care if you go to the work location wherever you have the approval from uscis. If they verify that if your location you mention is not there in uscis file (or the address appears as a home address) then it will be a problem to gain admission.
2. How come residency in US count for canadian citizenship application? Or you should ask question clearly.
It doesnt matter if you own any rental box or rental home or own home in Canada or in US - It just matters on how many number of partial/full days you have been present inside Canada matters to become eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.
You should first read the eligibility of Canadian citizenship instead of asking on it.
Thank you so much for that explanation.Thats exactly what i wanted to ask.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

I think you missed my point. It is possible to set US payroll tax deductions to zero by choosing appropriate option in th W4 form (not W2).

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I think you missed my point. It is possible to set US payroll tax deductions to zero by choosing appropriate option in th W4 form (not W2).
Oh i see.
But in this case, how do we plan to get exemptions of more than what we qualify?
Even if i lie that the exemptions are 6 instead of 3, i still dont see the taxes will become 0. There is social security tax, medicare tax which wont become 0.
And we cant claim exemption without ITIN/SSN hence i cant even claim 3 additional exemption. And for 50-60k minimum salary of H1, i dont see that we can pay 0 tax in US.

SAM09072019

Sep 7, 2019
Hello All,
I believe this question might have asked many times on this forum however asking again the same question as I was not able to see any recent answer to my questions.

1) I am a Canada PR holder and working in the US on H1B. I am a traveler consultant within the US and do Mon-Thurs every week. I am planning to move my family to Windsor and planning to Mon-Thurs to US cities through Detroit airport. I would like to know if the US border officer will give any hard time during the US entry on H1B every week or its smooth travel between Windsor to Detroit.
2) I have applied for the Nexus card and waiting for approval. Will the nexus card help in smooth entry to the US without facing any issues at the time of US entry? Any sharing of recent experience would be helpful
3) will there be any issues in future H1B extension and visa approval? I am planning to maintain a US address in Detroit as an employer is not accepting any Canadian address and doesn't allow me to live in Canada. I would say that I am going to Canada over the weekend to meet my family.

krish1989

Jan 14, 2018
Hello Experts:
I have a Canada PR. I am planning to work in h1b and stay in Troy or Detroit, MI and just commute daily to Canada and just want to stay an hour daily in Canada and return back to USA. I have heard even if you stay for an hour in Canada , it will be counted as one day. I am planning to maintain an address in Canada(most probably a friend's) and an address in Troy for Tax purposes. Does this plan sound good? I just want to get Canadian citizenship by commuting daily for an hour to Canada. Please let me know if my plan works or is there any issues?