+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

vik321

Jul 13, 2018
Hi all,

I submitted my Nexus card application around 20th December, 2019 and have not heard anything on pre approval. Online status still shows pending.
What is the current processing time?
Anybody recently got approved and know the anything about it?
I know people who have applied 2-3 months back and have not heard anything

Aksd12ka4

Sep 16, 2018
Commuters with Nexus.

Do you guys carry your lunchboxes in the Nexus lane? any restrictions on the food items we are allowed to carry?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Commuters with Nexus.

Do you guys carry your lunchboxes in the Nexus lane? any restrictions on the food items we are allowed to carry?
Yes i take rarely but some said they question too much on what is being brought and stuff... dont know much on how much hassle.

Hi all,

I found this Premiur Commuter card for bridge which is offering 2.60 USD toll per commute.
http://www.ammexglobalmarketplace.com/reward-card.aspx

Anybody got this card or applied online? I am not seeing any links.
People have only 2 options for windsor to cross the border. So all commuters know about bridge card (you mentioned aove) and tunnell card https://nexpress.dwtunnel.com/.

Ambassadar card: I received the form through email from them and send it to them the filled one. You can ask on the same customerservice@ammexdetroitdutyfree.com. Also there is another email online hence you can use that one first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aksd12ka4

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Looks like someone mentioned that they are commuting on a daily basis on H1 from Canada during their H1 visa interview and consular officer was shocked to know that. Consular was surprised that CBP has been letting this. Consular officer mentioned that one cannot commute like this on H1 and the person got 221g white slip and case is pending now. It was posted by the person directly in a facebook immigration group and not a post in some kind of unknown forum. I myself saw the post and person’s Facebook profile.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Question to commuters like myself-

Are folks like us eligible for HSA? I have one but recently noticed some issue with a canadian address on file with my employer. employer changed HSA provider and the new one wants a US address. I also found this handy link from health equity stating the following-

https://answers.healthequity.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1236/~/hsa-eligibility

Note: If you are eligible for national health coverage in your home country (e.g., Canada), you are not eligible to contribute to an HSA.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Looks like someone mentioned that they are commuting on a daily basis on H1 from Canada during their H1 visa interview and consular officer was shocked to know that. Consular was surprised that CBP has been letting this. Consular officer mentioned that one cannot commute like this on H1 and the person got 221g white slip and case is pending now. It was posted by the person directly in a facebook immigration group and not a post in some kind of unknown forum. I myself saw the post and person’s Facebook profile.
Thats surprising. I had a in person visa interview for renewal and the VO did ask me about where i was living and working, etc. My H1b stamp does have a "CANADIAN PERMANENT RESIDENT" annotation. Perhaps VO was not aware

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thats surprising. I had a in person visa interview for renewal and the VO did ask me about where i was living and working, etc. My H1b stamp does have a "CANADIAN PERMANENT RESIDENT" annotation. Perhaps VO was not aware
Its not about commuting. He is mentioning about the incident when people commute while visa is being processed and not yet issued(people attend interview and while waiting for the visa they travel using nexus/other documents commuting to work to US from Canada which is not supposed to be doing or at least cbp should not be allowing them to enter US till visa application is adjudicated).

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Its not about commuting. He is mentioning about the incident when people commute while visa is being processed and not yet issued(people attend interview and while waiting for the visa they travel using nexus/other documents commuting to work to US from Canada which is not supposed to be doing or at least cbp should not be allowing them to enter US till visa application is adjudicated).
Ah yes that is entering dodgy territory.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
No, it is not that way. The person didn't commute while the visa outcome was pending. The person just went for stamping, VO asked where the applicant stays, he told Canada and mentioned that he is commuting to work from Canada to US and this happened. Right now the person is waiting in Canada for 221g to be cleared.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
No, it is not that way. The person didn't commute while the visa outcome was pending. The person just went for stamping, VO asked where the applicant stays, he told Canada and mentioned that he is commuting to work from Canada to US and this happened. Right now the person is waiting in Canada for 221g to be cleared.
I guess without the full details it is hard to know what went on.